Do you use a water filter?

sparkle25

So the city that I live in adds chlorine, hard water minerals and iron to the water. I have always experienced hair breakage and I have discovered that this stuff in the water is likely contributing to this problem. I want to use a water filter but I live in an apartment for the time being, so I don't want to make a huge investment. I would prefer a shower filter and one for the kitchen sink ( like a hose). Most of the time I wash my hair in the sink because I don't like hopping in and out of the shower. Can anyone reccommend a good shower filter and a kitchen hose with a built in filter?

If you use these did you notice a difference in your hair?

Thanks

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Sprite water filter for the shower. I never wash in the sink. I've noticed a major difference.

sparkle25

Thanks diva chick. I did a lot of research last night and emailed numerous company's that make shower head water filters and learned that none of them filter out minerals, they only filter out chemicals like ammonia, chlorine and then heavy metals. I found one that did both but it was $200. I'm not ready to pay that yet especially considering if I don't know if it will work. It was called a water stick. I still think it will be useful to get a shower head filter to get rid of the chemicals and heavy metals for overall health and for my hair, so I'm going to get one while I wait for my friend who is a hydrological engineer to whip me up something that softens water and removes the chemicals .

Last edited:

hnntrr

I am looking for the same thing. I have heard (from what my mother told me, they have a soft water filter in their house) its just like table salt to soften the water. I am going to try it when I get back to boston, adding table salt to my rinsing water. It wont get rid of the chemicals but if it softens it I am okay with it. I will let you know how it turns out :)

sparkle25

hnntrr thank you I really appreciate that. I was thinking of that too, but a water softener is 5 different layers of sand and rock. They are stacked and layered on top of each other to act as a filter. This rock bed is installed in a plastic tank. Salt water is require to regenerate the magnesium calcium retention capabilities of the rock bed filter through a process referred to as Ion exchange process. The rock bed is saturated in salt water for 45 minutes to 1 hour, this is needed to positively charge the ions on the rock bed filter enabling it to remove the negatively charged magnesium, calcium and iron particles from the water. It effectively softens the water. In order to do this however you have to backwash the rock bed every 5-6 days to wash out all the materials it filtered. After that's done, then you recharge the filter by soaking it in salt. You need to have a strong enough current of water however to effectively wash and clean the rock bed prior to it being recharged by salt. So I didn't want to add salt to my final rinse because it didnt make sense to me. But not everything that works makes sense so please let me know how it works :)

hnntrr

HUH. Yeah she didn't explain all THAT to me. (derp) I will probably still try it though, I have heard of sea water helping soften hair so I unno. It will be an experiment! I may just have to get a shower head filter though (which I dont know because I have 5 roommates and I dont wanna spend a ton of money on it and then they break it :\)

sparkle25

hnntrr I've actually heard salt aids in deep conditioning also! I don't know why but I heard it again today from a lady on here so I think I'm gonna try it :)