Do You Use AnY "Caucasian" hair products

tmhuggiebear

I have an AFrican American friend with gorgous all natural hair that is in the middle of her back. When I asked her what products she used, I was shocked when I heard that she used GArnier Fructis.

Knowing that most black girls are very particular about the products they use and usually use what products are target marketed for our types of hair, I was wondering what other "caucasian" or "White girl" hair products you may use and if it works.

Maybe this list will show that we shouldn't be so picky about shampoo's and going straight for the "black girl" aisle.

I know alot of my caucasian friends use all types of hair products whether or not its targeted.

gissellr78

I really like garnier...is not in my rotation at the moment but is a good product...also Aussie...not sure is a white girl product

loulou82

Most of my products are marketed to dry, frizzy, damaged hair so that crosses both "white" and "ethnic" markets. I've used Aussie Moist, Redken, VO5, Sauve, etc. but it's really about the ingredients.

Wanderland

Sweetnsexy you should probably poke around the board a bit more, you'll see that people use a wide variety of products.
Personally there a very few traditional "black" products I use (older ones tend to contain petroleum or mineral oil as one of the first ingredients).
"Black" products aren't nessarily "better" for black hair. It normally lots of marketing and often heavier oils with a purple label or the word african whatever slapped on.
I stand by hair products that are good for hair period, with good ingredients.

I have used and currently own black geared products like KeraCare, but I also own lots of 'white' brands like Paul Mitchell, Chi, Aveda, Redken, Garnier, Nexxus, Herbal Essence, Suave, Aubrey Organics, etc.

You should definitely branch out if you haven't already.

Last edited:

HairBarbie

Most of the products I use are white products, Nexxus, Aubrey Organics, Herbal Essence, Suave Clarifying Shampoos etc.

I think people need to get out of their comfort zones, a lot of these so called white products work better than the junk that are marketed towards black people.

yuriko

I use very few products from the "ethnic aisle"

I love Suave, Herbal Essences long term relationship leave in, Neutrogena triple Moisture, Redken, Vo5, Nexxus, Aussie, Garnier Fructis and Pantene products. I usually opt for the products for dry, frizzy or color treated hair, they work great for me

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Redken, Kenra, Paul Mitchell, Aquage, Aubrey Organics, Herbal Essences, V05, Tresemme.... Most of the popular brands here are marketed towards white people, but hair is hair.

simcha

Yeah it's really about the ingredients.

Lately I use the Mixed Chicks line, Chi Silk Infusion, Rene Furterer, raw shea/glycerin, and argan oil. I'm beginning to explore Indian powders and may eventually replace the two Rene Furterer products I use with Argan oil and the powders.

knt1229

Sweetnsexy you should probably poke around the board a bit more, you'll see that people use a wide variety of products.
Personally there a very few traditional "black" products I use (older ones tend to contain petroleum or mineral oil as one of the first ingredients).
"Black" products aren't nessarily "better" for black hair. It normally lots of marketing and often heavier oils with a purple label or the word african whatever slapped on.

I have used and currently own black geared products like KeraCare, but I also own lot of drug store 'white' brands like Paul Mitchell, Chi, Aveda, Redken, Garnier, Suave, Aubrey Organics, etc.

Yea, what she said!!

Good post.

sunnieb

I use a rotation of Garnier and Herbal Essences for my co-washes. I also use NTM as "one" of my leave-ins.

michelle81

I didn't use any so-called "white" products until I came here.
I honestly thought that the aisle in Wal-Mart with the relaxers was for "us" and the next aisle over was for "them".

And it's not like "those" products seem to be marketed to "us" anyway.

When you see an ad in a magazine, it's always a caucasian next to Nexxus, Herbal Essences and Suave, and it's always us holding Pink Oil Moisturizer and DooGro.

I was using "our" products, but really never achieved past SL, but never equated the two.
Now I just use whatever works. Whether it be for black, white, pink, purple, horses etc.

knt1229

I have used plenty of hair products that were not marketed toward blacks. Suave, Aussie, Redken, Tresemme, and Pantene (not the women of color line) to name a few.

Aussie shampoo and conditioner are my staples been using it off and on for years.

tmhuggiebear

I have used and currently own black geared products like KeraCare, but I also own lots of 'white' brands like Paul Mitchell, Chi, Aveda, Redken, Garnier, Nexxus, Herbal Essence, Suave, Aubrey Organics, etc.

I know people use the products besides the "typical" black girl products. I just didn't think it would hurt to ask for a full list. I actually searched for a post on this and I didnt' find one so I guess I didn't look well enough. I have been lurking on this site for a while, but I guess I just don't lurk well enough.

I was honestly just curious, because I do hear of girls using "white" girl products however, they are usually only limited to pantene, and redken. I just wanted to see other lists. Sorry if I annoyed you by my questions.

ceebee3

Ok, I know this is stupid but I never used hair products marketed towards blacks because I think the labels are terrible and I don't like the way the bottles look.

Wanderland

Please make no mistake, I wasn't yelling or chastising you for it. AT ALL, I honestly thought you didn't know.

I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of all the "other" brand of what LCHF uses because everyone is different and prefer different things, even within the same brand.

A good starting point would be searching post for "staples". There is even a top 10 product post on the top page that I'm sure has lots of suggestions.

michelle81

I know people use the products besides the "typical" black girl products. I just didn't think it would hurt to ask for a full list. I actually searched for a post on this and I didnt' find one so I guess I didn't look well enough. I have been lurking on this site for a while, but I guess I just don't lurk well enough.

I was honestly just curious, because I do hear of girls using "white" girl products however, they are usually only limited to pantene, and redken. I just wanted to see other lists. Sorry if I annoyed you by my questions.

I don't think anyone was annoyed, but when I saw the question, my first thought was that you must be new (and I'm a semi-newbie myself).

I'm still learning the product lines. Before this board I didn't think all sorts of things were for our hair, glad I know differently now, and my hair thanks me for it.

sxytia07

love me Suave Tropical Coconut! lol

Ditto! That's my fave! Thinking of picking up "Paul Mitchell The Conditioner" as well since I've heard so many raves!

But yeah, it's really all about the ingredients and you learn that as you advance in your haircare knowledge! Good luck on your journey and be sure to keep posting!

msa

I don't believe in white or ethnic products...if you look at the ingredients, they are all the same. The only difference I've seen with products marketed toward blacks is that they tend to have more "grease" like qualities (ie more heavy oils like mineral oil).

Anyway, when looking for products ingredients matter most. If you have kinky/coily highly textured hair, look for products that say things like "deeply moisturizing", "for color treated hair", "for damaged hair", and things like that. Usually those products are best for textured hair because they are meant to combat dryness and rebuild the hair.

There isn't really a full list anywhere because that would include way too much stuff. I guess the best thing to do is look in the hits or misses thread or the threads where people talk about their "staples" and see what common things come up.

I know a lot of people like the Aussie Moist line...I loved the Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) mask, shampoo, and conditioner before I stopped using commercial products.

msa

Ok, I know this is stupid but I never used hair products marketed towards blacks because I think the labels are terrible and I don't like the way the bottles look.

I'm with you. The labeling and marketing is generally offensive and I feel personally insulted when they spell words wrong on purpose.

LaidBak

Hmmm.....Do we automatically assume that if the bottle doesn't have a black person on it (or African in the name) that its for white people? What about all the other races? They don't get hair products? LoL!!

OP IMHO the designation of a product as white or black is a marketing thing. What I have learned from this board is to read the ingredients label. That has lead me to search for and use great products. Some of them happen to be no where near the "ethnic" hair care aisle. My list: Joico, Roux, Dabur, John Freida.

Last edited:

tmhuggiebear

Ok, I'm glad to know no one was offened or annoyed my question. But as I stated before I really was just curious.

I have also used "white" products and actually I felt like alot of them I used stripped my hair and changed the texture. I have used neutregena, and suave, amongst others and alot of them were either too runny or not moisterizing enough etc. I understand that everyone's hair is different, but sometimes it still shocks me that alot of those products marketed to "white" girls work wonders for some people. It makes me wonder, what's wrong with me! LOL

I actually switched over to natural products recently and so far its working just fine.

michelle81

^^^Because I am so offended by Dr. Miracles advertisement I vow to never touch the stuff.

I keep hearing about these commercials, but just saw them now on youtube.
They make me sad. :nono::nono::nono:

That's one product line I know I won't be trying out.

Wanderland

Ok, I'm glad to know no one was offened or annoyed my question. But as I stated before I really was just curious.

I have also used "white" products and actually I felt like alot of them I used stripped my hair and changed the texture. I have used neutregena, and suave, amongst others and alot of them were either too runny or not moisterizing enough etc. I understand that everyone's hair is different, but sometimes it still shocks me that alot of those products marketed to "white" girls work wonders for some people. It makes me wonder, what's wrong with me! LOL

I actually switched over to natural products recently and so far its working just fine.

I don't think its because these are "white" products but maybe because they are not moisturizing, enough protein, or whatever your hair is missing.
I use suave condishes as my co-wash, I don't think i could use the entire line of products and be completely happy.
Which Neutrogena did you try? The Triple Moisture or the Clean and Clear because they are for ENTIRELY different purposes.
You should read some Sistaslick post/articles if you are interested/unsure of what products to use and how to build a regimen.

chebaby

when i was relaxed most of my products were salon quality products that are targeted towards the white community. i used and loved paul mitchell, joico and redken.

now that im natural i use all natural products that are made mostly for natural hair. most of these products are made by small online businesses.

Stormy

I don't believe in white or ethnic products...if you look at the ingredients, they are all the same. The only difference I've seen with products marketed toward blacks is that they tend to have more "grease" like qualities (ie more heavy oils like mineral oil).

Anyway, when looking for products ingredients matter most. If you have kinky/coily highly textured hair, look for products that say things like "deeply moisturizing", "for color treated hair", "for damaged hair", and things like that. Usually those products are best for textured hair because they are meant to combat dryness and rebuild the hair.

There isn't really a full list anywhere because that would include way too much stuff. I guess the best thing to do is look in the hits or misses thread or the threads where people talk about their "staples" and see what common things come up.

I know a lot of people like the Aussie Moist line...I loved the Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) mask, shampoo, and conditioner before I stopped using commercial products.

Yeah what she said. :yep: and I use Giovanni, Garnier Fructis, Nexxus, Nioxin, Suave and a host of others. They all combat dryness and work great for my hair! Other than when I used to get relaxers the only products I have used marketed towards black hair if you will, is Elucence, Biostrand and Kera Kare products, but again they are to add moisture. Oh and Care Free Curl Gold spray and Lustra spray which mainly has aloe vera and jojoba oil in it. Really good for stretching relaxers without breakage and for my natural, but the majority of my products are either natural that I buy from Whole Foods or the ones listed in my first line above.

Oh yeah, there's a Youtube video commenting on this very topic.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have an AFrican American friend with gorgous all natural hair that is in the middle of her back. When I asked her what products she used, I was shocked when I heard that she used GArnier Fructis.

Knowing that most black girls are very particular about the products they use and usually use what products are target marketed for our types of hair, I was wondering what other "caucasian" or "White girl" hair products you may use and if it works.

Maybe this list will show that we shouldn't be so picky about shampoo's and going straight for the "black girl" aisle.

I know alot of my caucasian friends use all types of hair products whether or not its targeted.

I think there is a Huge different with Commerical products vs Salon Quality Products. And if the truth be told, practically everything from make-up to cleaning products, to dog food, to Toliet Paper is marketed specifically to "white people" so you have to disallow for that kind of thinking.

I wouldn't necessarily label them as black girl products or white girl products, but perhaps Salon Quality Products vs Commercial line products vs Natural Products such as Aubrey Organics, Giovanni, Millcreek, Jasons and some of the other ones.

That is why you have to know your hair and what's best for your hair and begin to purchase products 'Suitable' for your hair. Regardless of what line they fall into.

Last edited: