Getting strange looks & resistance because I use "white products"

Do you use "white products" & are you met with doubt by others?

• Yes, some of my fave staples are "white products!"

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • No, I only use stuff "made for black people" or in the "black section."

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Yes, I use white products and people think it's weird.

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • Yes, I use white products but nobody second-guesses it.

Votes: 131 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yesterday was the first time *ever* anyone has commented on the types of products I choose. I went into an Indian BSS yesterday where there was a shelf dedicated to ORS relaxers, hair mayo, carrot oil, etc. The owner asked if he could help me while pointing out "the shelf" to me. I just said, "No thanks, I don't relax my hair," and paid for my box of maka (bhringraj) powder. He was glad to have made the sale too.

Call me crazy but I didn't even know that many of the products listed here were considered "caucasian products". I never thought that products such as Paul Mitchell, Joica, Pantene, etc. were not "meant for us."

Am I alone in this obliviousness?

You're not alone, I've always thought of there being "black products" but I never thought of the rest as being "white" strangely enough. Just "general" stuff, that sometimes I'd use, and sometimes I wouldn't.

You're not alone, I've always thought of there being "black products" but I never thought of the rest as being "white" strangely enough. Just "general" stuff, that sometimes I'd use, and sometimes I wouldn't.

I really did not think about the products like that either since if you have lived in other countries like Jamaica they sell a melange of products. In America there demarcation lines with everything sigh:ohwell:

My mother swears that I need to stop using White ppl products. IE my trader joe conditioners, Suave coconut condish, and Tressume. I just say whatev because I know my hair is growing better and healthier than it ever did when I used all "black products"
I think that a lot of products marketed for blacks are full of petroleum, benzene, and tuolene which is bad for your health and furthermore, clogs the pores. I believe that's the only difference...big I know. :rolleyes: However, and that these same products will weigh down caucasian hair (most of them) with too much oil, etc. :yep:
Bottom line is that the health of the hair is important. IF someone is saying that a certain type of product(s) are not good and that you should stop using them, perhaps they are going by their experience alone and everyone has different hair. :yep:

Just had an experience last week. Went to Haircuttery to pick up some Biolage Hydrating Balm, they have the shampoo and conditioner for $14.99. Anyhow the chick who rings me up points me to the Designer Essentials conditioner because it's made for "ethnic hair". Don't get me wrong, I have used that condish in the past but the idea that Biolage was out of my range was real cute.

This has happened to me before...I have had "black products" suggested to me when purchasing "white products" ( just typing that is soooo ridiculous)...anywhoo... they point to the products but I don't look because I already know...

I just look Becky in the eye and say " I know im black and those products are marketed to us, but I dont want them nor do I care since thats NOT what I put on the counter. Please ring me up!" and give her the "SAY SOMETHING ELSE!!" smile...

She politely gives me my total and I politely walk out the store... lol

Back