Do you use shampoo bars?

Kirei

Hey ya'll!!

I have been using shampoo bars for almost a year now, started with black soap and moved to making my own and haven't looked back since.

I love shampoo bars and I find they are perfect for me since I use natural products and don't have a lot of buildup b/c shampoo bars rinse off the dirt and don't strip my hair. I did use something with a 'cone and the shampoo bar had no problem getting it off.

Well anyway, if you use shampoo bars, which do you use? How do you use them?

I lather the whole bar up in my hands and wash my hair in sections and them lather up a washcloth and squeeze all the suds on my hair...<shampoo commercial :look:> lol

I think washing my hair is part I like most about my hair routine...detangling is the worse.

Bublin

Glad you started this thread as i have just ordered the Bee Mine Nourishing Shampoo Bar. It will be my first time using one.

I planned on rubbing the bar directly onto my scalp.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I do. I cut the bar into small pieces and apply directly to my scalp.

I purchase from Chagrin Valley.

jareya

I've been using the LUSH Trichomania shampoo bar on and off for some years now. My hair generally doesn't like sulfates, but for some reason it likes the Trichomania bar and always feels nice, soft and moisturized when I'm done washing. It smells good too, and does a good job of cleaning my hair and scalp. I also like the fact that a bar lasts for ages and ages (a little goes a looong way), so I save money on shampoo.

When I had a twa, I would apply the bar directly to my hair, but now that my hair's longer and I wash it in sections, I prefer to rub the bar between my palms and then apply the product to my scalp and hair with my hands. I feel like this also keeps me from using too much shampoo.

Amoreofcurls

For those who use Dr.Bronners Castile Soap Bars..are they as high in alkaline as the liquid soap?...How do you go about diluting them?

Angelicus

Hello, I have a question for people that soley use shampoo bars for cleansing.

I am relaxed and the shampoo bar thing never really worked out on me. Do you think that it had anything to do with me having cones in my conditioner and styling products?

I haven't used cones in a very long time and was wondering if that was the culprit. Maybe the bars would work now. :scratchch

tiffal1922

I've been on the hunt lately for some shampoo bars. I've been wanting to try some but every health food store I go to generally doesn't carry them. I've been eying chagrin valley and Lush but I haven't made up my mind yet which one to try.

Kirei

Hello, I have a question for people that soley use shampoo bars for cleansing.

I am relaxed and the shampoo bar thing never really worked out on me. Do you think that it had anything to do with me having cones in my conditioner and styling products?

I haven't used cones in a very long time and was wondering if that was the culprit. Maybe the bars would work now. :scratchch

Yes, it may have been. Silicones usually need sulfates to be washed off properly.

Since you don't use them now, maybe you should try them again and see how they work for you.

Kirei

I've been on the hunt lately for some shampoo bars. I've been wanting to try some but every health food store I go to generally doesn't carry them. I've been eying chagrin valley and Lush but I haven't made up my mind yet which one to try.

I use the ones from http://diyhaircareproducts.com

I have heard great things about Chargin Valley though. :)

Also regular soap can work just as well as a shampoo bar.

Kirei

That could be it!
If you order from a small company I would ask the owner how much they superfat their shampoo bars.

5% is a great superfat (meaning the extra oils that are left in the hair and make the mar less drying) and some go up to 12% superfat.

Also for some coconut oil is drying for their hair and skin as well, so if the soap has a high superfat make sure it doesn't have coconut oil as the top ingredient.

:spinning:

Hope this helps! :)

MsLizziA

Well why?

I have heard a lot of people say shampoo bars are just not for them. It may be the higher pH. I believe regular shampoo may have a pH balancing ingredient while soaps/shampoo bars don't.

No it had nothing to do w/ PH levels or anything. Trying to shampoo my hair with a bar of soap is HIGHLY aggravating for me.... after multiple tries i just said forget it. It didnt even lather the same as liquid shampoo.. its just not convenient for me

greenandchic

If you order from a small company I would ask the owner how much they superfat their shampoo bars.

5% is a great superfat (meaning the extra oils that are left in the hair and make the mar less drying) and some go up to 12% superfat.

Also for some coconut oil is drying for their hair and skin as well, so if the soap has a high superfat make sure it doesn't have coconut oil as the top ingredient.

:spinning:

Hope this helps! :)

I think that's it. The soaps I used in the past were made out of a coconut oil base. Thanks for the heads up!

As an aside, I have this goat's milk soap I got from Whole Foods a few weeks ago and it made my skin super soft.:lick: I wonder if there is a shampoo bar that's made from goat's milk.

EmeRaldPrinXess

I think that's it. The soaps I used in the past were made out of a coconut oil base. Thanks for the heads up!

As an aside, I have this goat's milk soap I got from Whole Foods a few weeks ago and it made my skin super soft.:lick: I wonder if there is a shampoo bar that's made from goat's milk.

^^^ Maybe you could use the goat milk soap you have now, since it :lick: on your skin (lol!) and guage whether it will be as :lick: on your hair ..... :grin:

lilyofthenile

Used to. I used Black African soap - worked nicely.

I also used Bee Mine's Rhassoul Clarifying Clay Bar - worked nicely as well. I liked the smell.

But I'm too lazy for shampoo bars now, I prefer using a liquid shampoo. Squeeze, lather, rinse, done.

AwesomelyNappy

i used to use Shikakai shampoo bar a while ago, but i forgot all about it until i saw this thread (i still have the bar in a ziplock bag somewhere under my bathroom sink... i think i might have to dust it off...)

It has a strong smell, (but so does a lot of the things i use, but the smell rinses away and doesn't linger in my hair). IIRC, it works great when i do a oil rinse first and was good to my my skin as well. I'll have to revisit it soon to decide if i loved it or just liked it.

There was another bar soap i used for my hair that i remember liking... but i cant recall the name. i just remember it was green, and i got it at the same time that i bought my Shikakai soap.

darlingdiva

I use KBB's Juicy Shampoo Bar. I rub the soap between the palm of my hands, and then I put my hands in my hair.

Kirei

Used to. I used Black African soap - worked nicely.

I also used Bee Mine's Rhassoul Clarifying Clay Bar - worked nicely as well. I liked the smell.

But I'm too lazy for shampoo bars now, I prefer using a liquid shampoo. Squeeze, lather, rinse, done.
That Rhassoul Clarifying Bar sounds nice!!!!!!! I have tried a bentonite and a green tea shampoo bar but, I want to get my hands on some Rhassoul Clay...:lick:

kupenda

I use trichomania shampoo bar by LUSH. I like it more than liquid shampoo. It's full of coconut and smells great. I use a lot of 'cones so I don't mind the sulfates too much

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF