Does dying hair black put nutrients back in?

pazyamor

My hair is blonde and it's begun breaking off in one area, I was toying with the idea of cutting all the color out, which would leave me with about three inches of hair all around (I don't want to start over again), but then a friend of mine, with very pretty relaxed APL hair, told me that dying it back to black (I'm a Winehouse fan) would put nutrients back in...is that true?

Neith

No...

Especially if it's a permanent color it could make things worse.

Hair color and dyes have no conditioning or strengthening properties.

Think of it this way:

The bleach weakened your hair. Further use of hair color will make it weaker.

My suggestion is to use a good protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner. People rave about aphogee's treatment.

Just baby your hair and have regular protein treatments. If you want a color change, I'd try a semi-permanent color (not very damaging, but it doesn't improve your hair's health either)

Try doing searches for breakage and protein treatments.

Good luck! It is possible to get your hair in better condition :)

MizzBrown

What kind of friend would tell you that? You sure she likes you? I knew better BEFORE LHCF. Every time you bleach, dye your hair, you are pretty much damaging it. Not a drop of nutrients in that bottle. No matter what brand or how much it costs.

I would consider a rinse or semi-permanent before a permanent black dye and you MUST baby it like the OP said.

I used to use permanent and my stylist told me to stop because its bad for hair and even though i hate having to rinse it all the time just to keep the color from fading away, at least i know i'm not damaging it that much as before.

Mortons

What kind of friend would tell you that? You sure she likes you? I knew better BEFORE LHCF. Every time you bleach, dye your hair, you are pretty much damaging it. Not a drop of nutrients in that bottle. No matter what brand or how much it costs.

I would consider a rinse or semi-permanent before a permanent black dye and you MUST baby it like the OP said.

I used to use permanent and my stylist told me to stop because its bad for hair and even though i hate having to rinse it all the time just to keep the color from fading away, at least i know i'm not damaging it that much as before.

:lachen:

No, it will not put nutrient back in the hair, although it is less damaging than going lighter. You should rinse your hair black, though beware that it may permenantly darken your strands (although not all the way to black). Thats what I am doing with my fire engine red highlights. They are now a golden brown.

Platinum

I agree with the others. It doesn't add nutrients. Also keep in mind that if you place a permanent black color on top of blonde, it could result in your hair turning pink or even green. (I used to work in a salon as a nail tech and I've seen several people come in to have the stylist do a corrective color after they dyed their hair at home). Now if you still want to change your color, Clairol has a customer service number. The customer service rep can tell you what colors to purchase in order to color your hair without severe damage or unwanted colors. I contacted Clairol some years later when I wanted to make the transition from bleach blonde to black. It was suggested to use a red color first, then dark brown (I can't remember the exact shades, though); a week later, black could be applied. The purpose of this was to replace natural colors that were stripped from my hair during the bleaching process. I didn't have any damage from the coloring process because I moisturized and DC'ed after this.

Are you wearing a blonde tint (like Honey Blonde from Dark & Lovely) or is your hair bleached blonde? (I guess I should have asked this before I wrote that long response :ohwell:).

pazyamor

I figure I already knew this...I was just reaching for straws! I will continue to baby my hair and try a hardcore protein treatment followed by moisture moisture moisture...thanks guys, I was about to make a big mistake. Oh yea, my hair is bleached blonde...pretty much the worst idea I've ever had"

DivaD04

My hair is blonde and it's begun breaking off in one area, I was toying with the idea of cutting all the color out, which would leave me with about three inches of hair all around (I don't want to start over again), but then a friend of mine, with very pretty relaxed APL hair, told me that dying it back to black (I'm a Winehouse fan) would put nutrients back in...is that true?

NO!!! You're friend is lie'n 2 you:nono:, If you keep adding chemicals to your bleached hair it'll really break off. I wouldn't ask her for advice about hair...i don't care if she has hair to the floor!:lachen:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Hey girlie!:grin: Don't do it! Your hair has been bleached blond. In order for it to be dyed black again, you would have to process TWICE, which may lead to massive breakage. Going from blond to black sometimes leaves the hair with a greenish tint, not so nice (in my Borat voice). It will only put pigment onto your hair,not nutrients. I would get a hardcore protein treatment every 6-8 weeks until the color grows out and trim when necessary. Keep your hair moisturized, deep conditioning weekly. If you want a change in color, do a rinse:yep:

Last edited:

JLove74

DId you hear this from Raven Symone? She was in some hair magazine talking about the reason why she dyed her hair black was to restore it's health and that's why her hair is so long:perplexed Ummmmm, yeah. right. ok. whatever you say:look:

charmtreese

A dark or black rinse may make hair APPEAR healthier, but it's only hiding the damage.

You took the words right off of my keyboard.

The damage my be less noticeable with a black rinse!!! I recommend colorshowers if you do decide to do a black or dark color rinse.:yep:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
A dark or black rinse may make hair APPEAR healthier, but it's only hiding the damage.
I was always told this too--that a rinse seals your strands, makes it shinier, and coats fine hair making it feel thicker. What do you ladies think about this? This is why I do rinses.

Ramya

I was always told this too--that a rinse seals your strands, makes it shinier, and coats fine hair making it feel thicker. What do you ladies think about this? This is why I do rinses.

I believe that it does except I use permanent dye every 6 months with a clear rinse in between. My hair is very porous and fluffy. The dye helps with the "silk factor" I haven't had any damage but i attribute that to my biweekly deep conditioning and co washing :yep:

RubyWoo

You're right. Semi-permanents/rinses do have conditioning properties although temporary.