If your dying loved one asked you to...

Would you cut your hair at the request of a dying loved one?

• No! I know it is just hair, but that is not something I would do.

Votes: 105 34.5%
  • Yes, without any hesitation.

Votes: 134 44.1%
  • Maybe, I would have to give it some serious thought.

Votes: 65 21.4%

• Total voters

frizzy

I would donate internal organs if it would help a loved one, and hypothetically YES I would cut my hair off for a loved one.

I just can't get past the far fetchedness of the actual hypothetical question. :ohwell:

Mahalialee4

NO. I would not. I Would ask 'Why would someone 'covet to take my hair and put it on someone else?' Their head ain't right. lolol. I would chalk it up to the MEDS!

Last edited:

LittleLuxe

Well I'm thinking that if it's a close loved one, they would know how much time, effort, etc is spent on your hair, so why would they ask you to cut it off? Like I said before, in the OP's story her friend cut her hair without being asked, I think that is TOTALLY different. Like, why would they ask you to do something that they KNOW would make you unhappy? That's how I see some of the ladies even stated, "My loved ones love my hair and would never ask that of me," because I just don't see it happening. Why would your dying wish be to make a loved one unhappy? Seems very unrealistic. I'm placing more emphasis on the asking part rather than actually cutting the hair.

Especially since there are so many ways to support cancer research, they'd pick the thing that would make you most unhappy? Seems off to me, that's all.

Well thank you for clarifying. I see where you're coming from.

But it doesn't matter if its "off" or not to you. The point is that the request was made, so would you do it or not? If your mother was dying and asked you to do so would you say no to her just because you thought her request was a bit off? Honestly, you aren't really doing much for the person if they have to convince you of why their request is important or worthwhile? Just say no then already, but it doesn't mean there's something wrong with them for asking. It simply means you aren't willing to cut your hair in that circumstance.

The request isn't supposed to be easy or else what's the point in the hypothetical question? So your loved one isn't supposed to ask you to do something they know you'd be easily willing to do, its supposed to be something to make you uncomfortable. Its supposed to be a decision to make a sacrifice or not, and that sacrifice would be your hair. If this was a weight loss forum the question would be "Would you stop dieting/eat donuts for a week if your dying loved one asked you to?" Have ya'll never played the hypothetical question game before?

Girl you're reading my mind and saying it better than me, lol, especially to the bolded.

Naturae

I say I would have to pray about that first.

Besides, if it's for a wig they need thats partially what lacefronts are for. Also monetary donations are much more lucrative than me chopping off some hair for momentary gratification.

I don't have any family that would ask me to do something so superficial either.. :/

Nayna

Unbothered
The request isn't supposed to be easy or else what's the point in the hypothetical question? So your loved one isn't supposed to ask you to do something they know you'd be easily willing to do, its supposed to be something to make you uncomfortable. Its supposed to be a decision to make a sacrifice or not, and that sacrifice would be your hair. If this was a weight loss forum the question would be "Would you stop dieting/eat donuts for a week if your dying loved one asked you to?" Have ya'll never played the hypothetical question game before?

Oddly enough this response is what made me see where the other ladies are coming from.

Watching a loved one die is already uncomfortable and painful. Imagine you are standing at their bedside talking and tying up loose ends and basically mourning and next thing they are asking you to shave your head. It's just so random I guess and hard to comprehend. I'm on the maybe fence. I'd have to totally get where they are coming from and understand it in order to get on board. I'd have to understand how it would put them at ease.

To be clear I worked on a cancer floor in a hospital so I'm a little biased, lol.

nikolite

Oddly enough this response is what made me see where the other ladies are coming from.

Watching a loved one die is already uncomfortable and painful. Imagine you are standing at their bedside talking and tying up loose ends and basically mourning and next thing they are asking you to shave your head. It's just so random I guess and hard to comprehend. I'm on the maybe fence. I'd have to totally get where they are coming from and understand it in order to get on board. I'd have to understand how it would put them at ease.

To be clear I worked on a cancer floor in a hospital so I'm a little biased, lol.

I understand. But I meant the question is supposed to make you uncomfortable, not the person.

And the OP's question is just as random as "Imagine you were stuck on a deserted island and you can only choose one person to be with you, who would it be?" It doesn't make sense and there's a lot to speculate about how you got there, how the person you choose is being transported, whether they want to come or not, and how completely unfeasible it is but it's not supposed to make perfect sense. Its just supposed to uncomplicate things as to draw out an answer for a more direct question. In that case, who do you love the most or who is your best friend? Or I could ask "Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it meant it would cure AIDS worldwide? Of course a person can argue about how that would possibly work, would the government protect them, why would someone ask you to do it when they could do it themselves, etc. but the hypothetical is simply to get down to answering the question, what would it take for you to murder an innocent person? Is a cure for AIDS good enough? Or what do you think a cure for AIDS is worth? All these questions are supposed to be random and imperfect and make you feel uneasy in answering them.

The only reason I would cut my hair hands down is because if I'm faced with the choice of going back in time and making my father happier before he died, I'd do it regardless of why. I think that's my threshold for what it would take for me to cut my hair. It might be even lower than that (Actually I would do it if some random person relaxed it while I was sleep or something, after their arse is thoroughly kicked, LOL. But I don't think that counts).

yardgirl

My dying loved one would know how hard I worked to get my hair to a decent state and would not make such a request... I hope.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Nope. My mother is a cancer survivor and she would NEVER ask or let me do something like that. There are a million and 1 things I can do for cancer patients and survivors that will actually make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

maxineshaw

Nope. My mother is a cancer survivor and she would NEVER ask or let me do something like that. There are a million and 1 things I can do for cancer patients and survivors that will actually make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

This right here.

AmyRose92

Well, now that I know what works for my hair, there shouldn't be any problems with it growing back. So, yes, I'd do it if they asked me to. It'll grow back. :yep:

nysister

I don't know a family member that would ask this of me, but if for some reason they did, I would. I wouldn't do it for a friend though.

MysteryMermaid

H3LL NAW!

You did what you wanted to do with your life, now let me do what I want to do with mine [selfish tramp]

I would get MAAAAD.

I would be thinking--oh this trick been secretly jealous this whole time and her last dying wish is to see me bald!

I'd be more than happy to hook her up with a natural looking indian remy wig..but don't make me lose sympathy though!

I love myself FIRST.

Vintagecoilylocks

I voted no

My LOVED ones would not ask me to do that. Since it is just hair they have no emotional attachment to it as if it would mean all that much to give it to anyone else. I would not because I don't think I want people to think that the hair is somehow so important. Plenty of people cut there hair to sell as wigs. That hair is just as nice to wear as any to wear if you are so inclined and need a wig.:yep:

Embyra

H3LL NAW!

You did what you wanted to do with your life, now let me do what I want to do with mine [selfish tramp]

I would get MAAAAD.

I would be thinking--oh this trick been secretly jealous this whole time and her last dying wish is to see me bald!

I'd be more than happy to hook her up with a natural looking indian remy wig..but don't make me lose sympathy though!

I love myself FIRST.

:lachen::lachen:

Misstacie

I don't think people making the request realize that the hair will probably not be used. Locks of Love is not going to come out and say, "Sorry, we don't take Negro hair". They would undoubtedly take it and thank you. I am imagining that a loved one would only be asking that you make a gesture of some sort in order to help someone else. In that case, it seems to me that there are a number of things someone can do to help. Donate time, money or purchase several hair pieces or wigs to give to those in need. The reality is, it takes several heads of hair to make a hair piece or wig...and as far as I know, there is no market for "African" or "African American" hair or women in Africa would be selling their hair by the pound. Let's face it, even when (sistahs) buy hair, they want the Indian stuff that can be tortured, take a beating w/ heat, coloring etc. and still look good. Even bone straight hair must be processed prior to making it into a wig. AA hair is fragile to start with, so again, I think there are so many other ways to honor the request. My hair is pretty strong, but after being processed, colored, straightened and weaved into a wig, there would be about 3 strands left. All that said, see y'all at the Revlon walk.

Last edited:

Nonie

I'd be confused considering my hair is a little on the dry side :laugh: but yes. I'd find it very difficult to say no to someone I love dying of cancer. Been there once and it was heartbreaking.

@Lady S, you's a nut! :lachen: This is the first time I looked at this thread and this line here has me crying :lachen: and out of breath! I can't even read anymore coz bursting out laughing is not very ladylike and I do need to gain my composure. :rofl:

To the OP's question, yes, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Zaz

prettyfaceANB no cop outs allowed :lol:

From Locks of love:
GUIDELINES FOR ACCEPTABLE DONATIONS
Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.

To answer the question, I'll reiterate what plenty of ladies have said so far and say why would a loved one ask me to do such a thing? A spontaneous gesture (as in the OP's story) is touching because it was offered without asking. But having someone reluctantly give up their hair? :perplexed

Plus it's for a wig for another person that I don't even know who likely wouldn't want my nappy headed hair anyway:nono: I'd rather go Oprah on it stop by the BSS buy a dozen wigs "you get a wig, you get a wig, everybody gets a wig"
It's ok to make jokes since we're dealing with a hypothetical right :look:

Having said that, I would shave my head in an act of solidarity without being asked though.

OhmyKimB

If I was asked no, because one no one I know would even ask me that. But to do it like ur friend did out of my own will yes.