If your dying loved one asked you to...

Would you cut your hair at the request of a dying loved one?

• No! I know it is just hair, but that is not something I would do.

Votes: 105 34.5%
  • Yes, without any hesitation.

Votes: 134 44.1%
  • Maybe, I would have to give it some serious thought.

Votes: 65 21.4%

• Total voters

Xavier

Okay here is the scenario. Your loved one(mom, sister, bestfriend, etc.) is dying of cancer. The chemo treatment has left her with no hair. She asks that in remembrance of her that you cut off all of your hair and donate it to another cancer victim. What would you do?

BTW, my friend who had midback length hair did this for a friend dying of cancer. She shaved her head to have a wig made. Then presented it to her friend, who then died two weeks later. The dying friend did not request this of her, she just did it. I was amazed and immediately thought about LHCF. This is happened 18 months ago and she is now APL, and said she would do it again. I am not sure if I could be so selfless and give up my hair.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Yes, I would do it and would like to do it in the future. I know a guy who grew his hair just so that he could donate it. I was sad because I loved him with long hair but after explaining to me why he did it, I understood. I would not SHAVE my head but I would probably cut to about SL.

toinette

Tricking the president
absolutely. My dad just died in June and unfortunately it was in another country and unexpectedly. it would have made me feel real good to know that I had enough time to both know and grant him any final request he made of me.

ConstantlyDynamic

to be real- it depends on the person. if my mom asked me, i would definitely do it (she'd never ask that though- so not like her). i'm an only child, but if i had a sister and she asked, i'd do it. a friend though-idk. don't get me wrong-i love my friends but i would probably feel like they were pushing it a bit. maybe if i had known the friend all of my life and considered her to be a sister? kudos to your friend though. that was very sweet of her

Keshieshimmer

Probably not a popular opinion, but I wouldn't. I can't image any person asking me to do this. However, I would do it for my mom or a SO that I was in love with.

chelseatiara

it's have to be someone i really loved like my grandma or boyfriend; but they both love my hair too much to ask me .....but i would :)) and we'd give each other bald massages lol

Goombay_Summer

Yes I would in a heartbeat because my Father battled two types of cancer. This August made 2 years that he's been in remission.

classychic1908

Probably not, but I would get them the best human hair lace front that I could buy! In these days and time when you can buy hair, why does anyone need to shave their head bald to make a wig for someone?

I promise, I'm a nice girl :angel2:

frizzy

Not that I wouldn't do it, but I couldn't imagine someone on their deathbed asking for such a superficial request from a loved one. :ohwell:

Lady S

I'd be confused considering my hair is a little on the dry side :laugh: but yes. I'd find it very difficult to say no to someone I love dying of cancer. Been there once and it was heartbreaking.

SouthernBeauty

Not that I wouldn't do it, but I couldn't imagine someone on their deathbed asking for such a superficial request from a loved one. :ohwell:
That's what I was thinking! Anyway I probably would if it was a close family member. OP ur friend was a wonderful person for what she did!

omegachick31

No I would not...although I applaud the selflessness of those who said they would...I would be defined by most as a selfish person with a coat of superficialness just to keep me warm.....what I would do is purchase and donate a really sexy lacefront which I'm sure would take less time to detangle then what grows out of my head...just keeping it honest

EllePixie

Well, it depends. I wouldn't cut off my hair to give to them, when they can buy a LF easily, but if a loved one wanted me to donate to Locks of Love or something like that, I'd do it.

Although truthfully...I'd probably ask them if I could do a cancer run instead and raise money...

Bigmommah

Having lost my mother to breast cancer, my answer would be yes in a heartbeat. Hair I can grow more of, special moments with a loved one are irreplaceable. Watching her die taught me to value and prioritize the things in my life.

charmtreese

My sister past away from cancer when I was about 12 years old. I know without a doubt I would have NO hesitation in cutting off my hair for a loved one!!

Leeda.the.Paladin

Sure, I'd do it. If they were a close loved one, I think I'd be too busy grieving to care about my hair anyway. Isn't there an old custom of cutting one's hair during times of grief?

Misshairdiva

Unless I could cut my hair and walk around happily **********.... no I couldn't. I would do like another poster said and buy the best hair wig/weave possible for someone who had cancer but I just would not be a happy camper.

makeupvixen

Well I know I never say anything about this but my mom has Breast Cancer. As soon as she started Chemo I did my big chop! She was so worried about loosing her hair so I made the decesion to go through the hair journey with her. She didn't ask me to, it was my choice.

Her hair is growing back slowly but we get to share products and have fun with our natural hair. (She doesn't even know that she is the main reason why I went natural)

Xavier

I know the question is far-fetched and the likelihood of someone making this request is slim to none, but I was still curious at what the responses would be.

You ladies are really amazing. I will say that when my friend told the story I did wonder if I too could offer such a gift. I have done the big chop before and had about 3 inches of hair but to go completely bald...I honestly would be hesitant. But I applaud those of you who would do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for responding.

Guitarhero

No. My mother wouldn't have asked that of me anyway. But many of us know that most of the hair that is donated doesn't get to cancer victims and most of the wigs are very expensive, not donated. Unless I had it in my own mind to cut and donate, no. I see no need for anybody to ask another person to cut a part of themselves off. My reason if maintenance of cultural and religious views.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
this is something i'd do out of the kindness of my heart, not because it was asked of me.

but the only person i'd even consider doing it for is my mom and she begs me to never shave my head again so i know she wouldn't ask.:lol:

Ladybelle

There are very few people I would do that for,I can literally count them on one hand. But,yeah - I'd do it without question. If I can cut my hair when the mood hits,certainly I can cut it for a cause.

LittleLuxe

If I had an option to provide something that would be treasured by someone who was dying or sick I'd do it. I feel like if I have to cling to my hair (speaking solely for myself) in the face of someone else's suffering then...I either don't deserve it or I shouldn't be shocked when I lose my own (or something of equal importance)

After losing a friend to cancer and seeing another woman diagnosed who had to shave her head greeted by friends and family who did the same in support (some of the women just cut their hair very very short)...can't be worried over dead keratin.

Some things are more important, but that's just me. Besides with all these LHCF technique's once you got it down, you got it down, growing back should be easier than the first time around when you're a newbie trying not to mess up up.