Does hair need protein?

What do you feel about intense protein treatments.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

katblack

I know that hair is made of protein, but does it really need intense protein treatments, especially naturals that don't damage their hair?
I am natural and this can apply possibly to naturals and those who are chemically treated. Does the hair need intense protein treatments like aphogee or is natural sources like coconut milk, or coconut, wheat germ oil enough?
Please let me know how you feel about this...

Nonie

I have never used a pure protein. I always use a reconstructor (part protein/part moisturizer). I believe there's a chance of protein overload with the pure protein and prefer to go the gentler route.

I do believe my hair needs it. I trusted Cathy Howse on that, and haven't suffered from using it, so I won't be giving it up since it doesn't hurt to use it. I have no idea what it would be like without it, but don't care to know. I learned a long time not to fix what isn't broken.

katblack

I have never used a pure protein. I always use a reconstructor (part protein/part moisturizer). I believe there's a chance of protein overload with the pure protein and prefer to go the gentler route.

I do believe my hair needs it. I trusted Cathy Howse on that, and haven't suffered from using it, so I won't be giving it up since it doesn't hurt to use it. I have no idea what it would be like without it, but don't care to know. I learned a long time not to fix what isn't broken.

I read Cathy Howse's book as well and know there are benefits when using protein. Her book was one of my favorite and the information is still quite useful:yep:. I am with you, when doing my avocado or coconut milk protein treatments, I always add honey just to get the best of both worlds.

fluffylocks

I think the less heat or chemicals you use, then you wont have to use protien that much

If those you listed are light, and someone didnt use heat and was natural, I think they would be okay using those weekly or so....I think the main thing would just be moisture.

(Eggs could be used as a moderate/hard treatment IMO also---if someone wanted natural protien)

But if your hair is damaged or you've used chemicals I think you could either use hard treatments every month or two, moderate ones as needed, or light ones weekly or so.

nikolite

I think it depends on your hair. I'm natural, but I have fine strands that definitely need it for the length I hope to reach. Others with coarse strands may not.

I was able to reach APL without it, and maybe I could reach BSL without it, but I doubt I could get any farther than that because my hair breaks easily and is naturally thin. But I also only use light reconstructors--I've never tried a hard-core protein treatment.

curlyninjagirl

I've been relying very heavily on the articles I've read on thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com for a more scientific view on natural hair. And one article states that hydrolyzed proteins are the perfect molecule? size for absorption. She states that the protein molecules in eggs and such are too large to benefit the hair. Here's the article:

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html

ETA: I don't know if the hair needs protein treatments, but I feel like if I'm going to use them I want the most effective kind. I use Joico Kpak reconstructer once a month and I believe it helped me recover from moisture overload.

Last edited:

islanchile

I worked for months to nurse my hair back to health (after years of neglect in braids). Reconstructors and mild protein treatments just weren't enough. It wasn't until I did a really intense protein treatment (Dudley's DRC) that my hair finally turned the corner.

nikolite

I've been relying very heavily on the articles I've read on thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com for a more scientific view on natural hair. And one article states that hydrolyzed proteins are the perfect molecule? size for absorption. She states that the protein molecules in eggs and such are too large to benefit the hair. Here's the article:

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html

ETA: I don't know if the hair needs protein treatments, but I feel like if I'm going to use them I want the most effective kind. I use Joico Kpak reconstructer once a month and I believe it helped me recover from moisture overload.

I agree. Eggs did absolutely nothing for my hair.

katblack

Yes, that's why I didn't mention animal protein. Animal protein, I think, is just a bit different than the plant kinds. I heard about the egg protein being to large as well, although I didn't read the article.
I also wonder if it's not just the protein that we need to focus on. Since our cuticles have a tendency to be open, I wonder if also pH has a role in this?

katblack

islandchile,
I'm glad you find what worked for you. I guess depending on the damage you may need an intense treatment.

ms.blue

I used a hard protein one time and realized I didn't need it. My hair like lite to mid range protein. The obly reason I believe any1 will need a heavy protein if the hair is severely damage from heat or overprocessing of any type.

fluffylocks

I never read from that site before, read some more articles its very good.

I never knew the protien molecules were too big, and I always thought hydrolysed protien just meant mixed with water or in a water solutution or something. SMH.
I wonder how you get a protien hydrolyzed...
And I know ORS had a conditoner that told you to mix a egg for maximum conditoning, and that some people add it to conditoners....
Is it completly ineffective, or just really low?

I dont use or like eggs in my hair though--

Another reason I thought it worked though is because i think/thought its animal protien like the original aphogee 2 step (eta it was hydrolysed though as i remember), and the aphogee gets hard because of the protien, and eggs also get really hard if you airdry it like aphogee (but I dont know if thats just because its a food)

knt1229

Relaxed hair can benefit from protein treatments. In the beginning of my transition once I started using an egg and yogurt dc every other week and it made my hair easier to handle, the shedding decreased significantly, and I was able to retain moisture better so there was no breakage and my hair was softer. This only happened after starting the egg and yogurt dc.

I had a stylist who used to do a protein dc on my hair after a relaxer and my relaxed hair was fuller and shinier.

Because relaxer breaks down protein bonds in hair protein treatments are beneficial to relaxed heads. Naturals don't need protein dc's as much maybe once every 2 months if that.

ETA: there have been threads before on here about that article discussing the size of protein molecules. Personally, I don't agree with article because eggs have been a staple during my transition and have really helped my hair.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm relaxed. And I strongly believe my Hair needs a 'sufficient' dose of Protein. I use a reconstructor on a weekly basis, in an effort to keep the Protein/Moisture in Balance.:yep:

I've read and 'heard' over time and with use of various products, tools, overall general care....our Natural Keratin diminishes.:perplexed

So, I feel an additional boost of protein, for Me, is a Must.:yep:

darlingdiva

I know that my natural hair needs protein. I used to avoid protein like the plague because I'd heard how it makes the hair hard, and I loaded up on moisture instead...big mistake. My hair was mushy and constantly breaking.

The excessive breakage didn't stop until I added protein to my routine.

I alternate between Aphogee 2-minute & AO GPB.

Glamorous_chic

i guess it just depends on your hair. i've tried all types of protein, and every one of them causes my hair to break, yet my hair loves moisture. but any type of protein causes it to break instantly. idk.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I used a hard protein one time and realized I didn't need it. My hair like lite to mid range protein. The obly reason I believe any1 will need a heavy protein if the hair is severely damage from heat or overprocessing of any type.
How did you hair respond for you to come to the conclusion that hard protein was too much and lite/medium was sufficient. I'm trying to figure out if my hair likes protein. I'm relaxed.

I'm relaxed. And I strongly believe my Hair needs a 'sufficient' dose of Protein. I use a reconstructor on a weekly basis, in an effort to keep the Protein/Moisture in Balance.
I've read many articles on this balancing act. I'm still not confident I know how to determine protein/moisture balance and I'm still unsure how to make determination. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm overloaded on protein because my hair feels coated and hard. I plan to clarfiy later in the week and omit protein from my reggie, ramp up the moisture and see what I get.

I know that my natural hair needs protein. I used to avoid protein like the plague because I'd heard how it makes the hair hard, and I loaded up on moisture instead...big mistake. My hair was mushy and constantly breaking.

Why alternate between the two products?

I've seen the word mushy many times but never asked for further clarification. May I please ask, how does mushy really feel? (not being sarcastic). I'm truly trying to understand what this word means as related to hair. When I think of mushy, I think of KFC mashed potatoes but that doesn't translate to hair (for me).

TIA!

Miss AJ

Hair needs protein, some may not need the stronger animal proteins, but everything we do to our hair weakens it to some extent.

lushcoils

Yea, I'm not understanding why people keep saying naturals don't need protein. Some of us do. :look:

islanchile

It may be true that only severely damaged hair needs an intense protein treatment. But I should add that I had neither heat nor overprocessing damage. The damage I had resulted from wearing my natural hair in micro braids for almost years without caring for it. After a lot of time (and breakage) trying milder therapies, I successfully treated the damage with a strong protein.

It seems that it really depends on the hair.

curlyninjagirl

Relaxed hair can benefit from protein treatments. In the beginning of my transition once I started using an egg and yogurt dc every other week and it made my hair easier to handle, the shedding decreased significantly, and I was able to retain moisture better so there was no breakage and my hair was softer. This only happened after starting the egg and yogurt dc.

I had a stylist who used to do a protein dc on my hair after a relaxer and my relaxed hair was fuller and shinier.

Because relaxer breaks down protein bonds in hair protein treatments are beneficial to relaxed heads. Naturals don't need protein dc's as much maybe once every 2 months if that.

ETA: there have been threads before on here about that article discussing the size of protein molecules. Personally, I don't agree with article because eggs have been a staple during my transition and have really helped my hair.

I think you make a valid point, knt1229. The science of hair definitely supplements the way I shape my regimen, but I think the information I gain from this forum as well as my own "experiments" with my hair are just as valid a source of information. I definitely like to mix different schools of thought. Science has it's flaws just like anything else. Just because something isn't proven doesn't mean it's not true.

I take everything I read with a grain of salt cuz everybody knows that in the end "Everyone's hair is different." So I'm a firm believer in if your hair is getting great results with something stick with it.

frizzy

I voted that the hair needs both.

I'm sure that not using protein when I was natural contributed to my split ends, and me ultimately going back to perms.

It's a no-brainer to me as a relaxed head that I need protein on a regular basis, and now I'm upping the ante by using protein weekly to see how much it can take.

There are many types of protein, and they all serve different purposes. Collagen and keratin, I believe, are the strongest, but you also have vegetable proteins that add suppleness to the hair strand that won't contribute to protein overload. I'm still trying stuff to see what works. :ohwell:

darlingdiva

How did you hair respond for you to come to the conclusion that hard protein was too much and lite/medium was sufficient. I'm trying to figure out if my hair likes protein. I'm relaxed.

I've read many articles on this balancing act. I'm still not confident I know how to determine protein/moisture balance and I'm still unsure how to make determination. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm overloaded on protein because my hair feels coated and hard. I plan to clarfiy later in the week and omit protein from my reggie, ramp up the moisture and see what I get.

Why alternate between the two products?

I've seen the word mushy many times but never asked for further clarification. May I please ask, how does mushy really feel? (not being sarcastic). I'm truly trying to understand what this word means as related to hair. When I think of mushy, I think of KFC mashed potatoes but that doesn't translate to hair (for me).

TIA!

Sometimes, I alternate the products based on what I have at home, and other times, I alternate based on my hair's needs. Both AO GPB & Aphogee 2-min. are balanced with moisture & protein, but AO GPB is more moisturizing for my hair. I'll use AO GPB when my hair feels like it needs more moisture than protein.

To me, mushy hair feels formless & fragile & extremely limp. I liken it to spaghetti that has boiled way too long.

Pink Pearls

I've never used protein. In the past, I relaxed every two months, shampoo, condition, (no leave-in) heat protectant air dry and flat iron every two weeks.

cmw45

My hair is incredibly protein senstive and really hates it. It has been this way nice I became natural as my relaxed hair love protein. *Kanye Shrug* I don't follow a regimen but just try to keep the hair happy.

kaykaybobay

I think I need protein but I don't know - I need something though. I am natural I do not use heat. My current regimen is too wash air with either mehendi amla bar - I have started to co wash few times a week with natures gate conditioners. My hair feels soft I would say. But I have small breaks all over the sink! I cannot stop it at all. I do not have long strands but just "c" shaped breaks. I really hate seeing it. How can I tell if hair feels to moisturized? I have tried protein stuff before but that did not really end the breaks. I've been on this board a bit and tried everything I think. I'm sad :( I figure I don't mess with heat, dyes, I don't comb except for when wet and with some type of leave in or castor oil, even finger combing there are the small breaks.

Neith

Depends on the hair.

My natural hair is protein sensitive. When I was relaxed, it wasn't at all.

I don't think my hair needs protein.

My hair is extremely coarse, I don't use heat at all, I don't use any kind of color, I only detangle once a week.

I still do a very light protein treatment (diluted bragg liquid aminos) 1 or 2 times a month. Just to ease my mind, lol.

libertysince05

My hair is so different since introducing hardcore protein, i had never used it before.
Its definitely better, curls are defined and i have less breakage