does it make sense to DC when daily cowashing?

malachi74

...and if so how often?

I've been cowashing my hair lately and using that Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol as my leave-in, nothing else. Since this is a DC product and I am leaving it in, does it make sense for me to still do my regular DC 3x a week (poo, DC w/ heat 30 min)? I'm leaving the cholesterol in my hair, rinsing the next day and reapplying.

msa

I think if you continued and DC'd 3x a week that would be over doing it and you could end up with over moisturized hair.

But, I do think you should probably DC at least once a week with something that is protein based. Just to make sure you keep your hair balanced.

JustKiya

I found that cowashing did not replace DC'ing for me. In fact, if anything, the repeated exposure to water seemed to dry my hair out faster. *shrug* Trust your hair - if it seems to be happy with just the cowashing, leave it be. If it seems to be getting a lil dry - toss in a DC. If it seems to be getting a lil soggy - toss in a protein treatment.

Nonie

I agree with the above ladies. I think CW just coats the hair, while DCing allows the conditioning compounds to penetrate the strands and do their good on the inside. So DCing once a week is a good idea.

JK, I had the same experience as you when I skipped DCing for months and thought just regular conditioning and CWs were enough.

malachi74

before i started cowashing i would wash with my regular shampoo and then DC with Pantene Breakage Defense 3x a week. Once a week I would do the Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor prior to DCing with the Breakage Defense.

Now I don't know what to do but I know I don't want a mess on my hands. I might cowash every day and wash & DC once a week, including the protein treatment. It just seems easier to cowash since i've started going to the gym regularly but at the same time I feel as though I'm neglecting my hair in comparison to what I used to do.

Miamori

When I was cowashing daily, I was using a VERY moisturizing conditioner that was making my strands very supple, but weak over time.

So I did DC, but to balance my hair. I used protein (an egg) as needed.

Otherwise, I think deep conditioning while cowashing that frequently is often unnecessary if you are going to use the same type of DC as your conditioner. It depends on how your hair is reacting to the conditioner, but my experience is that even if you are using an "instant" conditioner, it can do more than simply coat your hair and in fact can cause an imbalance if you use the same conditioner or the same type of conditioner to DC (as I did).

I am relaxed, not natural, and colored, however, so it is possible this was my result (the instant conditioner really softening my hair and my hair not needing any form of moisture otherwise) in part because my hair is much more porous than someone with virgin or mostly virgin hair.

chebaby

i co wash daily and i still deep condition at least once a week because co wash conditioners usually dont penetrait.

Ganjababy

If you are co washing daily you still need to DC at least once per week and alternate between deep moisturising and protein conditioners

bellecheveux

I haven't DC'ed in about two weeks and my hair is still soft. But I won't make it a habit, I need to DC to keep the protein/moisture balance intact.