Does you have a "stress area" of hair??

Imani

I was wondering if anyone has a section of their hair that just breaks or sheds more than the rest of their hair? And if so, what do you think causes it and what are you doing to make it grow and stay healthy?

For me, its right in the back of my head, right above the nape. for as long as i can remember, i have this section of hair that is constantly short and breaking. Its very coarse and thin and extremely fragile and it looks really weird against the rest of my hair which is somewhat thick. If i go too long without putting daily xtra care to it, i've had it snap off all the way down to the root:eek:

It seemed to be showing improvement when i was really paying close attention to it and keeping it extra moisturized. But lately, i've gotten busy and now its breaking horribly again:( which is not cute at all bc i have layers which exposes it.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

Shea

my problem area is the crown. it is shorter than the rest of sectins and i think its bc of no moisture~breakage. Its like 2 inches away from back and I'm sad about it, but i will do more DC and massage that area and trim back gradually so that it could catch up

TropicalRose

my hair line

well at least thats the only place that i notice. i cant see in the back of my head!! plus it does tend to thin when ever im in school :perplexed go figure

Radianthealth

Mine is right above my nape and below my crown. It is like there is a hole in that area. This will be my focus over the next 6 months.

Babygurl

My crown has always been my weaker/more breakage prone area of my hair. Its very coarse but fragile section, it the section of my hair that is 4b. For YEARS, my crown was only 1-2 inches long while the rest of my hair was a tad longer. Once I started to really identify that section of my hair and that it needed special care, I treated it more gentle and paid more attention to it...I relaxed it differently and made sure not to disturb that area too much. Now its thriving and no one would ever know that I had severe breakage in that area.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Babygurl said:
My crown has always been my weaker/more breakage prone area of my hair. Its very coarse but fragile section, it the section of my hair that is 4b. For YEARS, my crown was only 1-2 inches long while the rest of my hair was a tad longer. Once I started to really identify that section of my hair and that it needed special care, I treated it more gentle and paid more attention to it...I relaxed it differently and made sure not to disturb that area too much. Now its thriving and no one would ever know that I had severe breakage in that area.
This has been my problem area as well..it doing much better since I joined LHCF, but I don't know why it's a problematic area???

Babygurl

sherylin123 said:
This has been my problem area as well..it doing much better since I joined LHCF, but I don't know why it's a problematic area???

Well for me, it was my problem area because the texture is different than the rest of my hair...i Have 4b in my crown and the rest of my hair is a 4a. So the hair in my crown is drier and more fragile, therefore being more susceptible to breakage.

Ms Kraft

Babygurl said:

Babygurl, Help, Please!!!! This is the exact area I'm having problems with now. I'm experiencing the very same symptoms you had. 4b overly coarse, desert dry and about 2 inches long :cry3: Everywhere else is thriving beautifully, but the crown area just won't get with the program and I have no clue how to fix it. :wallbash: What exactly did you do to resolve it:confused::confused::confused:

Babygurl

Ms Kraft said:
Babygurl, Help, Please!!!! This is the exact area I'm having problems with now. I'm experiencing the very same symptoms you had. 4b overly coarse, desert dry and about 2 inches long :cry3: Everywhere else is thriving beautifully, but the crown area just won't get with the program and I have no clue how to fix it. :wallbash: What exactly did you do to resolve it:confused::confused::confused:

I was just more gentle with the hair in my crown...I didnt pull and tug at it and I kept manipulation all over my head to a minimum (by wearing buns) at the beginning of my hair care journey, I was sure to keep this area moisturized, I would spritz with with water daily and add a bit of oil, even when I didnt spritz my whole head. Even when using direct heat I would try to avoid this area as much as i could Thats about all I can say, be gentle with it, dont try combing/brushing through it roughly. Give it a lil moisture and TLC and you should be fine. I grew that area out without trimming, so dont feel as if u must trim to start over.

Aveena

Interesting thread... I have a section on the left side of my head that is always 1-3 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. It's in the middle so it's covered but it's DRRRRY and BRITTLE and when I used to go to the stylist she showed it to me (I didn't know it was there b4 then!) She thought I cut a section of my hair because the ends were so neat.

Anyway I ran to the derm thinking it was ringworms (the internet searches had me convinced;) ) Anyway he laughed me out of his office that time. I think he's tired of seeing me personally. but yeah... I have that problem.

Ms Kraft

Babygurl said:
I was just more gentle with the hair in my crown...I didnt pull and tug at it and I kept manipulation all over my head to a minimum (by wearing buns) at the beginning of my hair care journey, I was sure to keep this area moisturized, I would spritz with with water daily and add a bit of oil, even when I didnt spritz my whole head. Even when using direct heat I would try to avoid this area as much as i could Thats about all I can say, be gentle with it, dont try combing/brushing through it roughly. Give it a lil moisture and TLC and you should be fine. I grew that area out without trimming, so dont feel as if u must trim to start over.

Thank you sooooo much, Babygurl! I'll do it and keep you posted.

gymfreak336

I do. Mine is my nape, especially the back left side. I think years of overprocessing and bad night wrapping techniques have damaged my hair follicules here. I am trying to revive it by using tea tree oil mixed with some essentials like neroli, cedarwood, clary sage, and geranium oil. I am also wrapping my hair differently and I plan on starting using mtg next week.

MochaSilk

Babygurl said:

Thank you so much, Babygurl!!! That gives me hope that this crown of mine will stop giving me fits. I knew I held off on my relaxer today for a reason.

Imani, thanks for posting this... I was wondering if anyone else had a "stress area" and had success in growing it out and getting it healthy.