Does your poof after you moisturize?

SleepyJean

My hair poofs after I moisturize. I'm relaxed and... my hair has a hard time accepting moisturizers. I really want to learn how to use them. My hair has always been dry. I think once I learn how to moisturize, I will be able to retain length much better. Thanks in advance!

robot.

My hair poofs when I air dry after a wash. I think it's why I was so adamant to straighten/flat iron before I came to this forum! I'm relaxed as well. :]

Just two days ago, after seeing a thread on here, I put a little bit of conditioner (ORS Pak) back in my hair after I rinsed and there was no poofing! Ah, it was great! It was just soft and straight and with no heat. I had to straighten the front my hair yesterday (after attempting to crinkle by braiding) and the part that wasn't crinkled, that had just the conditioner in it, actually felt and looked better! I can't wait to wash tomorrow to try my whole head. :]]

But... did you mean that your hair poofs not when you wash, but just putting a moisturizer on dry hair? If so, I don't think I have much to say there. I wonder if there is a certain way to moisturize? I'll hang around until the hair pros come in, then maybe I can learn something as well.

Last edited:

RosesBlack

My hair poofs if I look at it crooked.

If you're hair isn't normally poofy what are you using for a moisturizer? You might need one that's more butter/oil based rather than a water one. Or vice versa.

For me less poof means I use olive oil based cream moisturizer and coconut oil . Otherwise..FLOOF.

HoneyDew

Mine does not. Well, that is if I use the RIGHT moisturizers for my hair. I used to get the post daily moisture poof everytime. :nono: I hated it.

Now, I use a very moisturizing leave in that prevents the need for lots of moisturizers in between washes. Even if I put something on between washes, it is just a little on my ends or on my NG to soften it.)

I use Qhemet products (Olive Cream Detangler as my leave in, Heavy Cream and/or Burdock Root cream as moisturizers) and/or Sunrise Products Hair Souffle (very good, as well. smells good, too.). These all moisturize my hair without the poof.

Store brands that can do the same are the Mane N Tail moisturizers, the ORS moisturizer in the jar, and that yellow Profectiv moisturizer (cannot remember the name). Those I have tried and did not get poof.

Edited to add: Just looked at the Hair Souffle. She raised her price by $2. It is not that much, but still! It is a great product, but $12 is too much, in my opinion. Especially when you have to pay shipping cost. Looks like I will only order from her again if she has a sale or free shipping offer. At least a little goes a long way. This makes me want to just create my own moisturizer.

Last edited:

SleepyJean

:bump: I love the responses thus far, but I want more! I think my question is good. :sad: <--- Can you really bypass this face?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

If you're hair isn't normally poofy what are you using for a moisturizer? You might need one that's more butter/oil based rather than a water one. Or vice versa.

For me less poof means I use olive oil based cream moisturizer and coconut oil . Otherwise..FLOOF.

ITA. Moisture = water = poof
I think a little poof is inevitable?

SleepyJean

I only asked because I've read about people with flat-ironed/pressed hairmoisturizing their hair.