dry and brittle hair

scarcity21

I need ur help ladies b4 i do spmething i might regret...Im a 4B natural and for thepast year ive been Protective styling with micros that i do myself...i know how to moisturise and seal when in micros bcos when i take out the braids my hair is oh so moisturised but for some weird reason i cannot maintain that same moisture when outta braids...:( when i condition my hair its sooo soft when it ddries though , it dries hard and brittle....i do not use heat...i always air dry...i normally DC overnight with lekair, africas best mayo, EVOO, coconut oil, honey and ORS replenish pak....sometimes i add amla powder, amla oil...and here recently cocnut milk.
Earlier this week , i went and bought a hard bonnet dryer just to see if DCing under a dryer would make a difference but i still got dry n brittle hair after airdrying. ive use R&N maskwith heat to DC, ive tried coconut milk, honey and amla powder (natural ingredients), same thing...i mean my hair feels so conditioned after the DC but when it airdries...it dries brittle and hard!
I even DCed, clarified with kenra clarifying and DCed again yesterday, then ended with an oil wash with coconut oil...why did i wake up this morning to greasy, dry n brittle hair.
This was my 2nd time oil washing, the 1st time i used castor oil...same mess...greasy dry n brittle so im beginning to think my hair doesnt like oil washing, unless im doing it wrong...but thtats a different story....
I use leave in condtitioner (elucence balancing mixed with a little Atone leavein)
I put in twists with Qhemets AMla cream and moisturised with Africa's shea butter moisturing detangler+ braid spray....woke this AM to the same mess....I cant say its heat damage bcos i dont even use heat!!!!
I need ur help ASAP ladies...im thing of doing a AMLA+shikaikai+neem rinse and then DCing with coconut milk+honey and amla powder.......what do y'all think???
I know some might suggest scurl....which used to work for me when i 1st bced but it doesnt anymore:(

remnant

Hi lady I'm so sorry I didn't know you had that problem :nono: honestly I don't know how to solve it, aside the homemade moisturiser formula and sealant I gave you, I let others ladies chime in!
may be you are using too much products and your hair doesn't like it,
IDK:ohwell:

scarcity21

Hi lady I'm so sorry I didn't know you had that problem :nono: honestly I don't know how to solve it, aside the homemade moisturiser formula and sealant I gave you, I let others ladies chime in!
may be you are using too much products and your hair doesn't like it,
IDK:ohwell:
Thats the thing Big Sis...i use the same things u use as a prepoo with the exception of ripped avocado....my hair always comes out soft n moisturised after DCing but when it airdries though it dries brittle...im wondering what the problem is...airdrying or the leavein conditioner mix? I dunno and its kinda fustrating bcos i never had this problem when i 1st bced....i normally put it in figer rollls with TCBnaturals lite gel activator and my hair stayed moisturised till next wash...too bad they dont make it anymore:(

remnant

I think it is my mix moisturiser that didn't work for you I think le kair dry your hair try a lighter conditionner like suave or Vo5 or a lighter moisturiser like scurl or sta sofro or the moisturiser of !
EDITED: yes i think a moisturiser and conditionner without protein cause le kair has a little bit of protein in it you need conditionner like Kenra or humecto don't mix it :yep:

Last edited:

BrownSkin2

I need ur help ladies b4 i do spmething i might regret...Im a 4B natural and for thepast year ive been Protective styling with micros that i do myself...i know how to moisturise and seal when in micros bcos when i take out the braids my hair is oh so moisturised but for some weird reason i cannot maintain that same moisture when outta braids...:( when i condition my hair its sooo soft when it ddries though , it dries hard and brittle....i do not use heat...i always air dry...i normally DC overnight with lekair, africas best mayo, EVOO, coconut oil, honey and ORS replenish pak....sometimes i add amla powder, amla oil...and here recently cocnut milk.
Earlier this week , i went and bought a hard bonnet dryer just to see if DCing under a dryer would make a difference but i still got dry n brittle hair after airdrying. ive use R&N maskwith heat to DC, ive tried coconut milk, honey and amla powder (natural ingredients), same thing...i mean my hair feels so conditioned after the DC but when it airdries...it dries brittle and hard!
I even DCed, clarified with kenra clarifying and DCed again yesterday, then ended with an oil wash with coconut oil...why did i wake up this morning to greasy, dry n brittle hair.
This was my 2nd time oil washing, the 1st time i used castor oil...same mess...greasy dry n brittle so im beginning to think my hair doesnt like oil washing, unless im doing it wrong...but thtats a different story....
I use leave in condtitioner (elucence balancing mixed with a little Atone leavein)
I put in twists with Qhemets AMla cream and moisturised with Africa's shea butter moisturing detangler+ braid spray....woke this AM to the same mess....I cant say its heat damage bcos i dont even use heat!!!!
I need ur help ASAP ladies...im thing of doing a AMLA+shikaikai+neem rinse and then DCing with coconut milk+honey and amla powder.......what do y'all think???
I know some might suggest scurl....which used to work for me when i 1st bced but it doesnt anymore:(

Scarcity, two of your deep conditioner have protein in them, Africa's Best mayo and the ORS replenishing pack. As a natural my hair craves lots of moisture. I've used the the ORS replenishing pack a few times and it made my hair hard, hard, hard once it dried. I also have the Africa's Best mayo, and I use it as a pre-poo. It does my hair good that way. I would strongly suggest changing your deep conditioner, and see how your hair behaves. I also seal with castor oil after moisturizing on damp hair. That helps maintain my softness once dry. HTH

remnant

Scarcity I agree with BrownSkin2 (I have edited my post)
just use moisturising conditionner no more le kair and others mix cause your hair is sensitive to protein
I think you should simplify your regimen and use less products like one kenra or keracare conditinonners that you can use for DC and suave cond for cowash !

Last edited:

nappity

Scarcity, two of your deep conditioner have protein in them, Africa's Best mayo and the ORS replenishing pack. As a natural my hair craves lots of moisture. I've used the the ORS replenishing pack a few times and it made my hair hard, hard, hard once it dried. I also have the Africa's Best mayo, and I use it as a pre-poo. It does my hair good that way. I would strongly suggest changing your deep conditioner, and see how your hair behaves. I also seal with castor oil after moisturizing on damp hair. That helps maintain my softness once dry. HTH

Its also possible that your hair hates oils! Mine does too.You can modify this by using creamy leave ins and using conditioners whose first 2 products are water and an emollient like oil Try Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose or White Camelia as a pre and post poo. I like to deep condition with Honeysuckle Rose (no proteins, no silicones)- just healthy goodness- don't get me wrong- I like a cone:grin:- but it means that when i go to co-poo the next time I clarify first with ACV. Clarify your hair with ACV it brings the acid mantle back into balance . At the end of the day-Get the small elastic bands by Goody and use a cut corner of a sandwich baggie and tie it just on your tips where you have applied a spray of water a dab of humectress and castor oil. This is how I have been keeping my hair moist and since I dye my hair the first thing I my ends demand is moisture. Try this and see if it helps. Do it for at least 5 nights. Let us know if it helps. Oh I also just tried Cassia- not Henna and it seems to be helping with my ends ability to hold moisture. Remeber this is only a phase.... Keep smiling!

scarcity21

U know what Brownskin... I never thought my DC could be the culprit bcos of the way my hair felt right b4 i rinse...but u have a point....i will give lekair, africas best and ors a break and use Kenra MC as my DC as Soun suggested and report back to y'all.
what do u use to moisturise damp hair and how do u style after sealing with castor oil? TIA

scarcity21

Scarcity I agree with BrownSkin2 (I have edited my post)
just use moisturising conditionner no more le kair and others mix cause your hair is sensitive to protein
I think you should simplify your regimen and use less products like one kenra or keracare conditinonners that you can use for DC and suave cond for cowash !
I will use Kenra MC for my next DC, cowash with TJ nourish and report back to y'all. I hope it works...Thanks for ur help Big Sis!

BrownSkin2

U know what Brownskin... I never thought my DC could be the culprit bcos of the way my hair felt right b4 i rinse...but u have a point....i will give lekair, africas best and ors a break and use Kenra MC as my DC as Soun suggested and report back to y'all.
what do u use to moisturise damp hair and how do u style after sealing with castor oil? TIA

After I have DC, I apply Aveda elixir, ORS olive oil hair lotion, and seal with castor oil. I then put my hair into medium sized twists. I wear those for a week or two, and wear a twist-out for a day or two. Right now, I have it straightened for the holidays.

scarcity21

Its also possible that your hair hates oils! Mine does too.You can modify this by using creamy leave ins and using conditioners whose first 2 products are water and an emollient like oil Try Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose or White Camelia as a pre and post poo. I like to deep condition with Honeysuckle Rose (no proteins, no silicones)- just healthy goodness- don't get me wrong- I like a cone:grin:- but it means that when i go to co-poo the next time I clarify first with ACV. Clarify your hair with ACV it brings the acid mantle back into balance . At the end of the day-Get the small elastic bands by Goody and use a cut corner of a sandwich baggie and tie it just on your tips where you have applied a spray of water a dab of humectress and castor oil. This is how I have been keeping my hair moist and since I dye my hair the first thing I my ends demand is moisture. Try this and see if it helps. Do it for at least 5 nights. Let us know if it helps. Oh I also just tried Cassia- not Henna and it seems to be helping with my ends ability to hold moisture. Remeber this is only a phase.... Keep smiling!
U know what nappity...i thought about that too...almost every1 was raving about avocado oil and butter....i used it and guess what my hair laughed at it, i tried shea butter that almost all natural heaads loves...my hair hates it...i really thought i was using it the wrong way too...but after following candyC's instruction on using the avocado butter and my hair still didnt respond, i gave up on avocado...u would think i would have figured it out by now...i swear sometimes i can be such a slow dufuss....
I do not have Aubrey's but was looking into it...i do have kenraMC so i will give that a go...but i will definitely go to the vit shoppe today and purchase Honeysuckle and camellia rose to see how my hair responds to them.
Question:
1)so how would u use as pre and post poo if I dont poo ( i only poo maybe 4x/yr)????

2)how do u use ACV to clarify?

3)how do u use Cassia? ive never tried Cassia nor henna b4 and Cassia sounds good since it doesnt alter color.

4)doesnt humectress have cones?

Thanks so much for ur help!!!!

scarcity21

After I have DC, I apply Aveda elixir, ORS olive oil hair lotion, and seal with castor oil. I then put my hair into medium sized twists. I wear those for a week or two, and wear a twist-out for a day or two. Right now, I have it straightened for the holidays.

Thanks BrownSkin2, i have Aveda elixir and ORS olive hair lotion (PJ i know:grin:), ive only used ORS hair lotion once and it made my hair greasy...how much do u use?

youwillrise

yeah,

i noticed there was a lot of protein in your conditioners, too. so that might be what's going on.

i've started using kenra mc (been using it as a DC for about a month) and for me it's beautiful stuff. my hair gets so moisturized from it. i've also been testing out this moisture mixture of s-curl (spray) and kenra mc. i had stopped using s-curl because while it was making my hair soft (which i loved)...it seemed to be making me shed, too. i wanted to re-try it/get rid of it, though...so i mixed it w/ the kenra and the results have been much much much better than when i used it alone. granted i've only been on it for 4 days, but so far it's honestly the best moisturizing potion that i've used. oils dont do me too well either and i think i'm just going to stay away from them.

best wishes with replenishing your moisture!!!

scarcity21

yeah,

i noticed there was a lot of protein in your conditioners, too. so that might be what's going on.

i've started using kenra mc (been using it as a DC for about a month) and for me it's beautiful stuff. my hair gets so moisturized from it. i've also been testing out this moisture mixture of s-curl (spray) and kenra mc. i had stopped using s-curl because while it was making my hair soft (which i loved)...it seemed to be making me shed, too. i wanted to re-try it/get rid of it, though...so i mixed it w/ the kenra and the results have been much much much better than when i used it alone. granted i've only been on it for 4 days, but so far it's honestly the best moisturizing potion that i've used. oils dont do me too well either and i think i'm just going to stay away from them.

best wishes with replenishing your moisture!!!
Thanks Run...the concensus seems to be protein overload so I have decided to DC right now with Kenra MC and continue to use for atleast a month to see how my hair responds to that...now this kenra+scurl moisture mix that u speak of...makes me wanna try that too:grin:
How often do u DC with Kenra?

newflowers

I do not know where you live, but a combination of too much protein and cold and/or dry environment may be a double whammy that causing the dryness. Heaters and air conditioners, cold air, dry air - all of these culprits alone or in any combination will make even the best cared for hair dry and brittle.

scarcity21

awww Twin :hug2:

You're using to much and to much protein.

Try using only 4 - 5 products on a weekly basis for a month and see how that works. Use a moisturising product and seal with an oil or butter. Wearing hair out will dry it out faster due to elements also. Wearing protective styles, twists braids will help retain moisture levels.
Thanks twin...its kinda fustrating cos i used to have soft hair...as a matter of fact my Hand in Fro disease when i 1st BCed was bcos my hair was unimaginably soft!!!!I will take y'all wonderful ladies advice and i hope to have soft hair soon...thanks again ladies for ur advice!!!:kisses:

scarcity21

I do not know where you live, but a combination of too much protein and cold and/or dry environment may be a double whammy that causing the dryness. Heaters and air conditioners, cold air, dry air - all of these culprits alone or in any combination will make even the best cared for hair dry and brittle.

I live in Maryland..i did think about buying a humidifier but was turned off after hearing about mold growth...yuck!

scarcity21

Oh yes twin you will need a humidifier in MD, its brrrrrrrr out there :nono: I wouldn't try to wear our hair out in that type of weather. But it's only like 68 down here now so ya know I'll wear it out for the both of us :giggle:

Ok...adding humidifier to my list of things to buy:) its 68 where u live? im so jealousssssssssssssss....but yes wear it out for the both of us twin:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Oh and twin we have more in common...i just noticed we joined at the same time:grin:

youwillrise

Thanks Run...the concensus seems to be protein overload so I have decided to DC right now with Kenra MC and continue to use for atleast a month to see how my hair responds to that...now this kenra+scurl moisture mix that u speak of...makes me wanna try that too:grin:
How often do u DC with Kenra?

i deep condition once or twice a week
this week i'll go for once.

i really like the kenra
it's the best deep conditioner my hair has seen.

it has wheat protein in it
but i guess that's pretty light
and it doesnt seem to be bothering so far.

scarcity21

i deep condition once or twice a week
this week i'll go for once.

i really like the kenra
it's the best deep conditioner my hair has seen.

it has wheat protein in it
but i guess that's pretty light
and it doesnt seem to be bothering so far.
thanks Run for answering my questions and also bringing that to my attention...i didnt realize it had wheat protein in it...I think Id rather try Aubrey's honesuckle (nappity said it has no proteins or cones)...I may use Kenra as a leavein + scurl to see how that works! thanks again for ur help!!!

Dymondz7

thanks Run for answering my questions and also bringing that to my attention...i didnt realize it had wheat protein in it...I think Id rather try Aubrey's honesuckle (nappity said it has no proteins or cones)...I may use Kenra as a leavein + scurl to see how that works! thanks again for ur help!!!
Actually the wheat protein helps to retain the moisture. It's not the same as heavier proteins. I believe if you do a search on "Proteins" you'll find an excellent post created by Supergirl (I think) that explains the moisture protein balance. I'm also a natural 4a/b with extremly dry hair and Kenra has been the best moisturizing conditioner I've ever experienced.

Sunshine0801

Scarcity, a couple of days ago I was trying to figure out how to keep my hair moisturized while in an out style. Let me tell you what I've done since then:

On Friday I washed my hair with baking soda and then deep conditioned with Kenra MC. I then applied Giovanni Direct Leave In and NTM Serum and did my rollerset. I let it air dry for about 24 hours.

The next day, I took out my rollers, and my hair was soft and bouncy, but not quite as soft as I would like. That night, I put my hair into about 10 sections and spritzed each section with the following mix: Giovanni Direct, Water, Rosemary Oil, Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, Tea Tree Oil, and Jojoba Oil. I then added a little bit of Healthy Hair Butter to seal and put each section into a bantu knot.

The next morning, I untwisted the bantu knots and my hair was soooooooo soft. I had serious HIH disease (as did my SO)! Tonight, it's STILL soft. So I did the same thing tonight (except I put it in braids instead of bantu knots).

I think the key is my hair does not like oils or butters by themselves, but loves it when I moisturize with a good moisturizer (I think it's that Giovanni Direct + water + oils that's doing it) and seal with butters.

I'm going to see how this regimen plays out throughout the week, but I think this might just work. Maybe it (or some of it) can work for you too?

By the way, my hair is also 4B.

Hope this helps!

scarcity21

Actually the wheat protein helps to retain the moisture. It's not the same as heavier proteins. I believe if you do a search on "Proteins" you'll find an excellent post created by Supergirl (I think) that explains the moisture protein balance. I'm also a natural 4a/b with extremly dry hair and Kenra has been the best moisturizing conditioner I've ever experienced.

Oh ok ...thanks Dymondz7, I will do a search and hopefully the search button wont fail me this time:(

scarcity21

Scarcity, a couple of days ago I was trying to figure out how to keep my hair moisturized while in an out style. Let me tell you what I've done since then:

On Friday I washed my hair with baking soda and then deep conditioned with Kenra MC. I then applied Giovanni Direct Leave In and NTM Serum and did my rollerset. I let it air dry for about 24 hours.

The next day, I took out my rollers, and my hair was soft and bouncy, but not quite as soft as I would like. That night, I put my hair into about 10 sections and spritzed each section with the following mix: Giovanni Direct, Water, Rosemary Oil, Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, Tea Tree Oil, and Jojoba Oil. I then added a little bit of Healthy Hair Butter to seal and put each section into a bantu knot.

The next morning, I untwisted the bantu knots and my hair was soooooooo soft. I had serious HIH disease (as did my SO)! Tonight, it's STILL soft. So I did the same thing tonight (except I put it in braids instead of bantu knots).

I think the key is my hair does not like oils or butters by themselves, but loves it when I moisturize with a good moisturizer (I think it's that Giovanni Direct + water + oils that's doing it) and seal with butters.

I'm going to see how this regimen plays out throughout the week, but I think this might just work. Maybe it (or some of it) can work for you too?

By the way, my hair is also 4B.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Sunshine...how did ur hair feel after the baking soda wash? how did u mix? (how many parts BS to water?)
Is the healthy hair butter by CD?
I havent used any carols daughter products...so i may have to order some just to see if it works...u bringing out the PJ im tryna tame but its worth it if it going to give me my Hand in Fro disease back:lachen::lachen::lachen:

OT: did u ever take pics of the rollerset? I wanted to see!!!

Sunshine0801

Thanks Sunshine...how did ur hair feel after the baking soda wash? how did u mix? (how many parts BS to water?)
Is the healthy hair butter by CD?
I havent used any carols daughter products...so i may have to order some just to see if it works...u bringing out the PJ im tryna tame but its worth it if it going to give me my Hand in Fro disease back:lachen::lachen::lachen:

OT: did u ever take pics of the rollerset? I wanted to see!!!

So sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. I just got back from vacation.

My hair felt very clean but not stripped. I added one tablespoon of baking soda to one cup of warm tap water.

The healthy hair butter is by CD. Girl, who are you telling about PJ'ism! I'm on my way to ordering some avocado butter right now, knowing that I have no business ordering anything since I still have unused products laying around (like the HHB, for example!). :drunk:
I am take-pics-of-your-own-hair challenged :look::lachen::look:, so the pics that I did take of my rollerset are not very good, and I didn't take that many b/c I was trying to take pics and get ready for an engagement that I was getting ready for. Check out my fotki (which I just started). Feel free to leave a comment! :yep:

scarcity21

So sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. I just got back from vacation.

My hair felt very clean but not stripped. I added one tablespoon of baking soda to one cup of warm tap water.

The healthy hair butter is by CD. Girl, who are you telling about PJ'ism! I'm on my way to ordering some avocado butter right now, knowing that I have no business ordering anything since I still have unused products laying around (like the HHB, for example!). :drunk:
I am take-pics-of-your-own-hair challenged :look::lachen::look:, so the pics that I did take of my rollerset are not very good, and I didn't take that many b/c I was trying to take pics and get ready for an engagement that I was getting ready for. Check out my fotki (which I just started). Feel free to leave a comment! :yep:

thanks Sunshine...wow..ur rollerset turned out real nice ..ur hair reminds me of Queeny20...y'all could be hair twins...but ur pics are gorgeous...you should enable the comments option so i can leave some comments in ur fotki!

Sunshine0801

thanks Sunshine...wow..ur rollerset turned out real nice ..ur hair reminds me of Queeny20...y'all could be hair twins...but ur pics are gorgeous...you should enable the comments option so i can leave some comments in ur fotki!

Awwwwww thank you so much for the compliments! :kiss:

Thanks for the tip about the comments too. I just enabled them! :grin: