Dry ends when flatironing--How to prevent it?

shan8756

longlayers
Definitely use the chase method!!!!!! I section my hair to be straightened with 1/2 inch sections and then detangle with a semi fine tooth comb first. Then as the chi iron is following the comb down my hair, I repeat again to make sure its smooth, sleek, and straight.

SEMO

I'm going to try that comb technique b/c my ends are always frizzy when I flat iron.

caribgirl

Just so you know the Chi silk infusion is NOT a heat protectant. I thought it was for the longest time, but read the instructions no where does it say "heat protectant"

Ok, now I'm confused because I have been using it as one!!! I thought silicones were heat protectants and that is what Chi infusion contains. Sabino only has silicones and it is a heat protectant.

Clarification please!!! :whyme:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Ok, now I'm confused because I have been using it as one!!! I thought silicones were heat protectants and that is what Chi infusion contains. Sabino only has silicones and it is a heat protectant.

Clarification please!!! :whyme:

I made a thread a while ago about whether or not CHI SI was a heat protectant. There was a general consensus that it was, and this was confirmed by a former member who was a hair/science expert. Her name's navsdega. Navs said that CHI SI is a heat protectant because when it comes in contact with heat, the silk proteins melt and expand, building a protecting layer around each hair shaft. I'll find and bump the thread for you.....

Isis77

i'm glad u posted this question OP! i had asked the same thing before but i suppose i wasn't clear enough....:look:

i will def. have to try this comb-chase method next time i flat iron. i tried the chi silk infusion but my hair disliked it muchly so i shall be selling my Chi cleanse and smooth combo i got from Ulta soon....

SilentRuby

I though the same thing so I trimmed my ends but it doesn't/didn't help.

You're right. That's the only reason I haven't trimmed yet because I know after a few days/weeks, it's going to look the same. My ends stay dry too. :nono:

I think I'm convinced to go ahead and get the steamer. I should have had one a long time ago with my dry hair :yep:

sunshinebeautiful

Maybe I'm slow, but how does chasing the flat iron with a comb prevent dry ends? :look:

Wouldn't some kind of moisturizing leave-in be better to remedy the problem?

Artemis

I made a thread a while ago about whether or not CHI SI was a heat protectant. There was a general consensus that it was, and this was confirmed by a former member who was a hair/science expert. Her name's navsdega. Navs said that CHI SI is a heat protectant because when it comes in contact with heat, the silk proteins melt and expand, building a protecting layer around each hair shaft. I'll find and bump the thread for you.....

In addition to the bold, cyclomethicone and dimethicone are the two ingredients in every heat protection product I have ever seen, considering the heat threshold they both have. Just because a product does not blatantly state on the packaging "Hey I am a heat protection product" doesn't mean that the added benefit is not there.

Tiffers, what leave-in conditioner are you using?

Misseyl

Whenever I use a heat protectant, it always leave my hair greasy.. Now what I've been doing lately is applying Profectiv Leave-in Straightener to my hair right after washing and then flatiron once it's dry. I pass the iron over my hair once, my hair then gets stiff, but that's when I comb it through and then pass the flatiron over it again and then it stays straight. After this process, I apply Mango Butter and it stays straight for the entire week.

Soliel185

Maybe I'm slow, but how does chasing the flat iron with a comb prevent dry ends? :look:

Wouldn't some kind of moisturizing leave-in be better to remedy the problem?

B/C alot of the time the ends look dry, split, or damaged and they actually aren't. It's because the ends are the roughest and usually most tangled part of the hair, and keeping them taut and detangled while straightening makes sure the heat closes the cuticles and leaves the ends shiny/sleek.

nodisrespect

I have a crazy idea that may be totally off base, but I think I know what's wrong with MY hair that I keep getting dry ends when I flat iron.

The iron is too hot.

I iron at about 300 and the upper length of my hair is fine but my ends come out dry and somewhat nappy, even.

But when I flat iron my hair just to get it manageable, on a lower setting, this doesn't happen.

May be totally off base, but I think this could but the culprit.

secretdiamond

I have a crazy idea that may be totally off base, but I think I know what's wrong with MY hair that I keep getting dry ends when I flat iron.

The iron is too hot.

I iron at about 300 and the upper length of my hair is fine but my ends come out dry and somewhat nappy, even.

But when I flat iron my hair just to get it manageable, on a lower setting, this doesn't happen.

May be totally off base, but I think this could but the culprit.
That's funny cuz I started thinking it was cuz I'm too chicken to turn the heat up. :lol: I always try to leave it on the lowest setting to get it straight.

I have to figure this out one day. I'm spending to much money trying to fix this. And I know it's not my hair.