weathered ends....

cami88

My poor ends are so weathered and battered. Is there anything to do besides just hack them off? I keep my hair moisturized and only use heat 2 or 3 times a year...I'm not sure what I could do to help them along. Any suggestions?

Nonie

Hack them off--once damaged there's nothing you can do to fix the problem. If you don't cut them off, they will break off anyway and break off in a way that causes splits that continue to give you tattered ends. You're better off cutting off the damage with a pair of sharp scissors and then don't wait till there's damage to hack it off. Start dusting regularly to stop the damage from getting to a point where it causes you to sacrifice your length.

Check out the discussions on dusting. Here's one long one that had lots of contributions on the topic: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30211

Seamonster

It is ok if you are not ready to cut off the ends yet, put the hair into a no manipulation style like braids. Did you ever find out what caused the ends to become weathered?

getoffmylawn

Going with Nonie on this one. I was forgoing trimming my hair for a couple months but noticed the other day, the splits I had had traveled a quarter ways up my strands. Just cut it.

faithVA

[USER=308021 said:
cami88[/USER];15832349]My poor ends are so weathered and battered. Is there anything to do besides just hack them off? I keep my hair moisturized and only use heat 2 or 3 times a year...I'm not sure what I could do to help them along. Any suggestions?

When is the last time you either dusted or trimmed your ends?

Is this a problem you have often or is this an infrequent occurrence?

thecurlycamshow

I had the same problem months ago and had to cut them bad boys off. My hair has grown back and the ends are healthy. My problem was lack of moisture on my ends due to my own neglect (no dusting for about 5 months). Cut it off and it will grow back healthy.

youwillrise

yeah chop em!

i waited a lonnnnnnnnnng time to chop my ends even though i knew it was something i should do, but kept telling myself "i'll cut them when i get to ____ length" or "it'll be finnnnnne...i'll just wait" but when i finally came to my senses, i ended up having to cut off more than i would have liked and lost a good amount of length. it took me starting to lose hair, twists getting tangled at the ends and ripping my hair out when removing twists/braids even when i was careful....once i snipped all those problems went away, but like i said...i wish i didnt have to cut as much as i did.

i'll be doing a dusting this coming weekend. i promised myself i'd keep my with taking care of my ends.

i know it's hard to see that length go...thats exactly why it took me so long to get rid of those yucky ends.

cami88

When is the last time you either dusted or trimmed your ends?

Is this a problem you have often or is this an infrequent occurrence?

I had a trim in January--it was an emergency, I hadn't had a trim since twa stages. I don't get regular trims and I've just started moisturizing regularly so my ends don't get as bad as they were before. Still, I think I could stand to take some more off but I just can't bring myself to do it. What happens is, despite my best efforts to keep my hair detangled, it just tangles together at the end then I have to struggle to unravel them and end up losing some hair in the process.

I think I just need a trim whenever I straighten again, and keep them super moistureized to prevent another situation like this.