Dry vs Coarse hair

taz007

What is the difference? I have always had coarse AND dry hair. I thought that I had the dryness under control but I am not sure.

So what do I look for?

I hope that makes sense :perplexed

Renovating

I think coarse refers to the thickness of the strands and dry refers to lack of moisture.
I would use a generous amount of a moisturizing products.

taz007

See, I don't think that my hair is dry per se but when I compare it my sister's hair, hers is much softer. I think that I my hair will never be super soft as it is very coarse and thick.

Renovating

See, I don't think that my hair is dry per se but when I compare it my sister's hair, hers is much softer. I think that I my hair will never be super soft as it is very coarse and thick.

Please try not to compare your hair to anyone else, because your normal moisture level may be different from your sister.

taz007

Ok, I must not be explaining myself correctly.

When you touch an Asian head of hair, you can definitely tell that it is coarse and not necessarily soft but not lacking moisture either.

So, I guess what I am asking is can hair feel wiry, not soft and yet still be moisturized? If so, how can you tell by touching it?

GymFreak, where are you??!!:grin:

locabouthair

Ok, I must not be explaining myself correctly.

When you touch an Asian head of hair, you can definitely tell that it is coarse and not necessarily soft but not lacking moisture either.

So, I guess what I am asking is can hair feel wiry, not soft and yet still be moisturized? If so, how can you tell by touching it?

GymFreak, where are you??!!:grin:

Hmm, I'm not sure.

taz is your hair resitant? It looks beautiful in your siggy.

I hope gymfreak comes in here too:yep:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I think coarse refers to the thickness of the strands and dry refers to lack of moisture.
I would use a generous amount of a moisturizing products.

Ditto, that's how I interpret it too.

My strands are very thick and "robust" and I doubt my hair will ever feel silky soft and smooth to the touch like other people's hair. It can look smooth though, with the right products. :yep:

taz007

Hmm, I'm not sure.

taz is your hair resitant? It looks beautiful in your siggy.

I hope gymfreak comes in here too:yep:

Thank you, Loca!

Yes, my hair is resistant to the nth power! It is definitely NOT silky and soft (unless a hair dresser gets to it (NOPE)).

I found that chelating every week has helped significantly. I just want silky hair without blow torching it. I will just accept what I have and be happy :grin:

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Thank you, Loca!

Yes, my hair is resistant to the nth power! It is definitely NOT silky and soft (unless a hair dresser gets to it (NOPE)).

I found that chelating every week has helped significantly. I just want silky hair without blow torching it. I will just accept what I have and be happy :grin:

You betta preach it sistah- I just posted about this very thing....my hair is resistant over all but I had this one patch in the back of my head that was like:nono:- you can't straighten me out. I chelated that patch every single week, and gues what? It finally straightened out.

Back on topic, IMO I think coarse hair probably has a natural tendency to be on the dry side. I have COARSE hair, and it's dry. The only way it would be close to silky is if I use heat. It can be soft without heat but not silky with out heat.

Where you at Gym?

taz007

Taz do you think the weekly chelating might contribute to dryness also?
Hrrm, that may be it. Although my hair was much worse before the chelating.

I am not sure if it is 'dry'. I just think that it is rough. My hair is not breaking and I do not have splits.

I will try skipping the chelation next week and see what happens. Thanks Loca!

ellehair

Good thread bumping for you Taz.. I Moisturize weekly with DC's and also watch my protein and moisture balance and my hair still feels dry. Wondering if it really is moisturized but just doesnt give off the "look" of being moisturized. I'm definaltey not getting the silky look without having the dominicans blow me out, and we all know thats a big "NO NO"

ladytea

I get what you're saying Taz. The dryness and wiriness are two different things entirely. The dryness is under control, but you are now aware of the lack of softess as a separate thing. :spinning: You thought the lack of super softness had to do with the lack of moisture, but it's not. It's because of the wiry strand. My bff's hair is like this. It's properly moisturized, but the strand is wiry and not really soft.

But her hair -- let me tell you -- her hair picks up shine so much easier than mine. That strand is the reason her hair can withstand a lot more manipulation than my hair and stays in balance with less effort than mine. :lick:

I get that you're not comparing your hair to your sister's as a wish. You've just discovered something that had never occurred to you before. It's a kick in the head, ain't it? :nuts::lachen:

Neith

Yep.

Some people have soft hair, some don't.

I have extremely coarse hair. You wouldn't believe how many people think my hair is soft from the looks of it :lol:

but it doesn't matter... everybody's hair can be healthy, moisturized and beautiful regardless of the degree of coarseness.
:yep:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
My hair is coarse. I tell this story all of the time, but it's so resistant that years ago I got 2 relaxers in one day and my hair didn't fall out (or go completely straight either). i wondered the same thing you asked until I prepood with coconut oil. My ng felt softer after I washed out the oil (clarified) and laid down a little.
Now i know what softness is for my hair. It still feels coarse but "behaves" differently.

joy2day

Hi ladies,

I am the ultimate lurker, but I had to post to this topic, 'cause I am a 4z as well!:grin: The question that Taz brings up has me thinking about my own hair...I agree with the lady that mentioned coconut oil. I have put some coconut oil and warm water in a spray bottle and I mist my hair with that at night before I wrap it up. I find that my hair feels more moisturized, but it is neva eva going to be truly silky. It was because of you guys here at LHCF that I finally realized that oil is not moisture by itself! Hairdressers have been drenching my hair in gobs and gobs of oil and grease for years, because I am just that coarse and resisitant. And all the oil would ever do is just sit on top of my hair, so I never really felt truly "moisturized", just greezy.:rolleyes:

BTW, ya'll got me spending some serious paper on beauty these days!:blush: But the tips that I have received are invaluable. Blessings to all.

Joy2day

taz007

I get what you're saying Taz. The dryness and wiriness are two different things entirely. The dryness is under control, but you are now aware of the lack of softess as a separate thing. :spinning: You thought the lack of super softness had to do with the lack of moisture, but it's not. It's because of the wiry strand. My bff's hair is like this. It's properly moisturized, but the strand is wiry and not really soft.

But her hair -- let me tell you -- her hair picks up shine so much easier than mine. That strand is the reason her hair can withstand a lot more manipulation than my hair and stays in balance with less effort than mine. :lick:

I get that you're not comparing your hair to your sister's as a wish. You've just discovered something that had never occurred to you before. It's a kick in the head, ain't it? :nuts::lachen:
:grouphug3:EXACTLY! Trust, do not want my sister's hair as it is much thinner and shorter. I was just noticing how much softer (but not shinier) her hair is.

Last edited: