Edge Problems and Recs

Renewed1

Hi ladies,

My right side edges are thinning, mainly because I sleep on that side (the other side is fine).

I think it's because my silk scarf may be rubbing against that temple when I'm sleeping.

Is there anything I can put around my edges at night to prevent them from thinning?

Also, do anyone have any recs for improving growth/thickness around my edges? (Sulfur gives me headaches).

*CherryPie*

Are you natural or relaxed?

When I was relaxed, my hair would grow as long as I wanted it to. All EXCEPT my edges! My edges stayed thin.

But when I went natural my edges started growing like crazy! They are nice and thick now.

I AM...

I love to use JB Castor oil and a few drops of peppermint oil on my edges... It works wonders. Oh I also put pure silica in my lemon water in the morning.

manter26

When I was relaxed the side I slept on was noticeably shorter by my temple. When I discovered IC Fantasia PM Night Oil it helped tremendously with the night time breakage. I only use it now when my hair is straightened but it's by far my favorite commercial oil. I sprayed on and covered my head with a scarf or bonnet.

*CherryPie*

The reason I asked is because my edges grew back as soon as I stopped putting relaxer on it. But, because you're already natural and still having this problem, you should disregard my post.

I'm natural. But I figure the techniques would work regardless. Or am I wrong?

Renewed1

How do you normally wear your hair? Could this be caused by tension?

NappyNelle I normally wear my hair in twists or ponytails. I try not to add tension to my edges.

The reason I asked is because my edges grew back as soon as I stopped putting relaxer on it. But, because you're already natural and still having this problem, you should disregard my post.

*CherryPie* I wasn't trying to be offensive. I apologize if my e-tone came off as such. I was asking because I didn't have this problem when I was relaxed and now I do as a natural.

But any advice you can offer is appreciate it. Thanks!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I would try Nonie's mixture, or a sulfur mix, and gently massage it. I have very very very fine edges, so when I wear a bun or puff, I feel like my right side looks thinner than it really is. My hair has been like this natural and relaxed. I think it's genetic and mechanical damage from box braids when I was young. :perplexed Twists definitely hide the thinness for me, and my sulfur mix makes it look less noticeable.

Random: Do you think wearing a bonnet may help? I wear a scarf like you, but I know I tie it tightly so it won't come off. Perhaps a bonnet that comes over your forehead will help reduce friction?

Last edited:

Seraphina

My edges and a couple small patches started balding a couple years ago due to health problems at the time and medication. I think I was also pulling my hair back too tight and too often. I was devastated. I used a mix of Mega-Tek and JBCO every night just applying to my scalp in those areas and it grew back in far faster than I expected.

Renewed1

I would try Nonie's mixture, or a sulfur mix, and gently massage it. I have very very very fine edges, so when I wear a bun or puff, I feel like my right side looks thinner than it really is. My hair has been like this natural and relaxed. I think it's genetic and mechanical damage from box braids when I was young. :perplexed Twists definitely hide the thinness for me, and my sulfur mix makes it look less noticeable.

Random: Do you think wearing a bonnet may help? I wear a scarf like you, but I know I tight it tightly so it won't come off. Perhaps a bonnet that comes over your forehead will help reduce friction?

NappyNelle I do wear my scarves tight at night. That may be the cause of the friction. I like the bonnet idea I think I will get one of those and a silk pillowcase just in case it comes off.

Plus make sure my edges are well moisturize before going to bed, just in case.

Thank you ladies for your suggestions. I'm going to try everything (or what's ever in my hair closet) I'm determined to have full edges.

Thanks again.

hothair

You can use just castor oil or vatika oil to massage it also get a bonnet so nothing tight is on your hairline or tie your scarf with the edge more or your forehead than your hair line

Nonie

MarriageMaterial, you should never tie your scarf at your hairline. Always tie it low on your forehead. Of course having a massive forehead that is actually a five head does make this easy for me to do.

AMAKA127

jamaican black castor oil and possibly try using a satin bonnet with an elastic band to protect the perimeters of ur hair