***Knockout Nape and Edges in 2010 Challenge***

panamoni

You might want to consider not relaxing that area at all. That's what I'm going to do this year. My nape area was growing in, and then in January when I got a relaxer, there was a bald spot in the area that had been growing in.

amwcah

Oh, yeah! I'm not relaxing it. I'm going to saturate it in vaseline to prevent the relaxer processing it at all just in case some does get in that area.

I experienced the same thing as you. My nape was growing in and I relaxed. Then, it went bald. :(

djkforeal

Checking in again,
Well I have to say that I am glad that I am in this challenge but I am not so happy with my progress thus far.:nono: I take a lot of pics on my cell phone and I study each picture so that I can see my head up close, well the current pictures are confusing me and I wonder where those few hairs went that I saw a couple of months ago.:spinning: Maybe I am being too critical and am expecting too much but I know that something in my regimen is not working out well for my nape and edges. I am thinking that it is the full lace wigs, but only because I only started using them like 5 months ago and I don't know what to expect. I don't apply the glue or tape to my edges but I get so close to them that the adhesive can't help but touch them, also to make sure I don't take any hair out when I am removing my wig I spray tons of alcohol on my edges to get all of the adhesive out.:nono: I think the alcohol is very drying to my edges and has made them thin:wallbash:, I am somewhat pleased but I know I need the whole year to work on my nape and edges because they have been suffering for a long time. I don't know if this is the right challenge for me because my hairline was fine before I started and is still pretty good, but I need to work on the whole right side of my head:blush:! I will push on and again I am cutting out the MegaTek and MN and just keeping it simple and apply lavendar black castor oil and emu oil and I am going to buy some profectiv growth oil to mix in an applicator bottle and apply to my nape, edges and scalp. I think I have reach APL but I don't feel comfortable claiming it because I really want to trim my hair and cut it all the same length, but then again I am inclined to wait a little longer. So I will attach a couple of pics but I wish they were more inspiring. Don't give up ladies...HHG!
1)Right front edge and temple
2)Right back nape, my skin is irritated there from lace adhesive, and I have my profectiv on my scalp so it looks shiny! Also my edges are pressed so they are very straight and I already have very fine hair...
3)My growth progress April 2010, I don't know if there is much difference from my avatar pic, maybe an inch:rolleyes:?

Attachments

• 040410 1846 right temple area progress pic.JPG
    040410 1846 right temple area progress pic.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 22
  • April 4-2010 right nape pic.JPG
    April 4-2010 right nape pic.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 21
  • April 2010 length check pic.JPG
    April 2010 length check pic.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 17

Zedster

Looking at my hair, I don't think there's any damage/room for growth on my edges, so I'm stepping down from this challenge. Best of luck to everyone!

WaistLengthDreams

I've been moisturizing my nape often. And I've been massaging it during my wash regimen. Also, I've haven't applied relaxer to it at all this year. It doesn't look like it's made much of any progress but I'm sure its better off.

panamoni

I got the sew-in put in. I left the hair at my nape out. I keep it cornrowed and I moisturize that airea daily, then apply my JBCO/Peppemint oil mix.

mscocoface

I am just baffled. I am another one checking in again.

It seems that the only style my temples like are flat twists. Anything else and they just dissolve. They were doing just great this past year and then POOF as soon as I started doing single strand twists or putting my hair back in a style.

I am going to keep the flat twist style in my head the rest of the year if I can manage that. I will continue with my oils and other items, but it is frustrating.

I just wish I could figure out why my temples are soo weak. The hair is growing but it breaks as soon as I start doing other styles.

panamoni

It would suck if you left it in that style for a long time, had growth, and then decided to do a different style and it still breaks off.

Maybe use something to coat/thicken the strands...someone mentioned some of the Ayurvedic practices...

I love this challenge.... I'm hiding my hair until June but I have been giving full attention to my edges which for 8 years have been a hot pathetic mess. Being addicted to weaves killed my edges. So it's been a year of JBCO, Megatek and just recently added the essential oils.

The progress has been steady and every month I see hair sprouting in places that were once bald. So Ladies stay encouraged... I will be posting my success story in June. Consistency is key! It has been just like brushing my teeth, I don't leave home with feeding my edges.

I now realize years of abuse destroyed my edges so I should be patient enough to allow them the same amount of time to restore themselves!!!!

grow

i am SOOOOO happy and excited!

the jbco is helping my edges! yes, they are starting to fill in!

PositivelyRadiant, i've been sleeping with a baggied bonnet for like a month now.

i really beleive it's helped, also because i roll the edges (the elastic part) of the plastic cap up and around the ruffle like edges of the bonnet.

i started doing this originally because i didn't want that elastic to give me a headache, but i think it's also just less tension on that area.

i've been applying jbco and essential oils (mixed together) around my edges, although to be honest, sometimes i've only done it once in a week.

now i'm going to try to be more consistent with those applications because i'm sure they are helping these edges to start peeking out around my face!

grow

how is everybody doing in this lately?

i think next month we're at an important point for this challenge.....any recent progress reports?

Vintageglam

i am SOOOOO happy and excited!

the jbco is helping my edges! yes, they are starting to fill in!

PositivelyRadiant, i've been sleeping with a baggied bonnet for like a month now.

i really beleive it's helped, also because i roll the edges (the elastic part) of the plastic cap up and around the ruffle like edges of the bonnet.

i started doing this originally because i didn't want that elastic to give me a headache, but i think it's also just less tension on that area.

i've been applying jbco and essential oils (mixed together) around my edges, although to be honest, sometimes i've only done it once in a week.

now i'm going to try to be more consistent with those applications because i'm sure they are helping these edges to start peeking out around my face!

So glad this is helping grow - I have been having the same exp!!!

Vintageglam

A question for the ladies in this thread - have any of you ever considered any surgical measures for your edges???

I have been babying my edges (albiet not consistently) now for about 4 years and whilst there has been progress it has been VERY slow. Hence why I am now considering surgical alternatives....??? :scratchc

Nameless

I'm not part of the challenge because my nape and edges have grown and thickened so much after doing the following:

• cross wrapping my hair everynight with a silk/satin scarf. There are some good videos on YouTube.
  • making sure I don't tie my scarf too tightly. If you are worried about the scarf sliding off at night, place a bonnet on top of your scarf to secure it.
  • stretching my relaxers to every 13 weeks (no more, no less) and getting my nape and edges relaxed last.
  • never brushing my hair into a ponytail. When the new growth isn't that bad, I use my hands as the brush to smooth the hair into the pony. If there's growth, I put a thin headband on and put the relaxed hair into the ponytail like the pics below

• If the new growth is that uncontrollable, instead of using a boar bristle brush, try using a baby bristle brush because it's not as harsh on your hair.
  • not putting gel and stuff on my nape and edges (or even my hair).
  • never forgetting to moisturise the nape and edges because it's so easy to do so. In order to remember, I moisturise my nape and edges first and then the length of my hair with a water based moisturiser and then lightly sealing with olive oil.
  • whenever I do a scalp massage, I don't include my edges. It may sound odd but I noticed that massaging the edges is a bit too much for the hairline and may pull out a few hairs if done constantly.
  • Basically, I mostly leave it alone!
I hope the tips listed above helps. Good luck :drunk:

Vintageglam

• whenever I do a scalp massage, I don't include my edges. It may sound odd but I noticed that massaging the edges is a bit too much for the hairline and may pull out a few hairs if done constantly.
  • Basically, I mostly leave it alone!
I hope the tips listed above helps. Good luck :drunk:

ITA with the above Gabrielle !!! :yep:

panamoni

Thanks for the tips Gabrielle. Leaving it alone takes less effort -- so maybe it will help people to keep up with their programs.

amwcah

My edges appear to be filling in, but THAT NAPE is another story. I miss just being able to wear a high ponytail or a ponytail at all for that matter.

My nape has grown some, but isn't not even an inch back there. :(

grow

thanks for bumping op!

we really need to keep up with this because these areas are the toughest of all!

i'm putting my jbco on regularly in these areas.

anyone else?

grow

ok ladies, i must report THIS SUCCESS!!!

yah! my nape and hairline are actually filling in!!!

they are getting longer, too!

hubby and i just happened to come across some pics from about 4 months ago and i could not believe the difference.

i suppose i hadn't noticed in these 4 months mostly because the rest of my hair has grown out and seems so much longer, but it will always be that way. i don't expect my hairline and nape to be as long as the less damaged areas of my hair, but that they are growing is nothing short of a MIRACLE for me!

it's the consitency that i believe has helped. i don't let a day go by without applying my "first-aid" to those areas and i massage and tap faithfully, too.

come on ladies, let's do this! we can have long edges and long napes, too!!!!!!!!

panamoni

Congrats on the progress grow!! Your hair looks great.

I'm still putting JBCO on my nape and edges regularly. I try to keep my nape cornrowed 95% of the time so that I don't manipulate it. I got my satin pillow cases a few months ago, so I don't put pressure on my nape and edges. I didn't have my nape area relaxed during my last relaxer. I think I have progress in my nape area, but I'm trying to keep it hidden for now.

hopeful

I'm feeling really frustrated with my nape area. I hope that my bald nape won't be a recurrent problem for me. I'm relaxing this week and I most definitely will put vaseline on my nape and edges.

My edges appear to be filling in, but THAT NAPE is another story. I miss just being able to wear a high ponytail or a ponytail at all for that matter.

My nape has grown some, but isn't not even an inch back there. :(

Hi Amwcah, hang in there. I don't know your hair story, but I suffered from a broken nape for years. As soon as it would get a little length, it would break off again. I could never wear my hair up in the back and I still remember feeling sad and embarrassed about it. Once I went natural, kept it saturated with moisturizers, butters, and oils, and kept it braided or twisted, it flourished. Turns out my nape hair is 4b and fine, extemely fragile, but when I baby it, it flourishes and grows just fine. The rest of my hair is thicker and didn't need as much babying.

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

I must admit, I haven't been keeping up with my scalp massages, but I have been moisturizing/sealing and I haven't relaxed my napes since this challenge started. I don't have stellar progress. But nape area is getting a little longer. Can't wait to see everyone's (myself included) progress in December!

amwcah

Hi Amwcah, hang in there. I don't know your hair story, but I suffered from a broken nape for years. As soon as it would get a little length, it would break off again. I could never where my hair up in the back and I still remember feeling sad and embarrassed about it. Once I went natural, kept it saturated with moisturizers, butters, and oils, and kept it braided or twisted, it flourished. Turns out my nape hair is 4b and fine, extemely fragile, but when I baby it, it flourishes and grows just fine. The rest of my hair is thicker and didn't need as much babying.

Thank you for the encouragement Hopeful! Your username fits you well. :)

My nape has grown some. It maybe an 1/2-3/4 inch in some parts. Also, my edges are coming in nicely.

OsnapCnapp!

Please no one rag on my edges....theyre so bad. :sad: But here is a pic of mine and Im working on them! Im using just JBCO but planning to incorporate mega-tek whenever it arrives.

Last edited:

grow

Please no one rag on my edges....theyre so bad. :sad: But here is a pic of mine and Im working on them! Im using just JBCO but planning to incorporate mega-tek whenever it arrives.

well, you a certainly in the right place! i commend your choice of jbco and can confirm that if you stay consistent with its use, you will like your results! have you tried Nonie's recipie for the jbco with eo's added?
it works well, too!

grow

^^^^ Hey Grow! Where can I find that recipe of Nonie's?

this linkhttp://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=385828 has the similar recipie (if not exact one) that Nonie used but i can't seem to find the exact post where she has before and after pictures.

Nonie is also in that link so you can check that out and/or pm her directly.

hth!:yep: