***Knockout Nape and Edges in 2010 Challenge***

SimplyBlessed

Ladies I see such great progress in ur pictures...I've have seriously been slacking but I plan to get back in gear and hit this challenge with full force...hopefully I get a pass lol

Sorry I have been slacking....

amwcah

Hi Grow! I purchase the rosemary oil from a local Vitamin World store in the mall. It was a 1 oz bottle for $6 and some change.

They had a few other oils as well, such as peppermint, jojoba, and lavender oil to name a few. They had larger bottles as well, but the 1 oz is good enough for me because a little goes a long way.

alshepp635

I have not been faithfully posting but I have been massaging my scalp, edges, and nape with my Softee growth oil at least 2-3 times weekly. I going to step it up and massage nightly with my oil mixture.

naturalmilly

Hi ladies! I think this is a great thread/challenge. I have been on a megatek nape area journey for about 5 weeks now. I just wanted to post my starting picture (without any megatek applied ) and my 2nd-4th week pictures.

Attachments

• comparison pics.jpg
    comparison pics.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 40

pringe

well im finally checking back in. This past week I just got back into this challenge. IDK I totally fell off of it and convinced myself back in dec that i didn't need it. Yeah right! I got a look of myself close up in the mirror and inspected my edges, Lawd, I almost went crazy from looking at them horrible!!

Im so embarrassed but i'm gonna post the pics up here so u guys can see what is going on. So i'm starting over. Will be oiling with castor oil, olive oil or coconut oil every day for 5 minutes, either morning or night. Will be babying edges and trying not to pull so hard when pulling twists or braids up.

smh @ myself. I let it get this far when it should've been better by now. I'm so upset at myself.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 23
  • riside.jpg
    riside.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 23
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 21

Zedster

I think I'll join this challenge if it's not too late.

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply __Castor oil__ to my edges and massage my scalp for __at least 5 minutes__ nightly. I will __wear a satin scarf/doo rag to bed to protect__ my nape/edges and will __do low manipulation styles (like twists) and keep my hair covered during the day.”

My starting pic:

Last edited:

panamoni

Zedster, I've added you!

Pringe, Thanks for posting pics! It's a real motivator. I'm embarrassed by my pics, but I'm determined to see some improvement.

I added a few drops of peppermint oil to my JBCO for my nape/edge massages. I'm doing every night or every other night.

Vintageglam

Ladies I just wanted to share something that I read recently which appears to make sense.

For the ladies trying to grow back your delicate edges it may actually be more favorable to "hold off" on the massages and instead adopt the technique of pressing your Castor oil or other growth aid into the scalp with "gentle" pressure. The rationale for this is that if your have young immature hairs growing in this area you may actually be pulling them out from their immature follicles which are recovering thereby defeating the purpose of the massage.

Instead what I do now is dab the tips of my fingers into some JCBO mixture in a small dish and press this along my temples and edges lightly repeating this for a few minutes.

I am also stepping up my protein and moisture treatments on my edges so that what ever growth I am getting along my edges is being strengthened and retained.

I have VERY BAD edges so have a very long way to go, hence why I am being very gentle with mine. I started this after I realized that when I was gently combing an detangling my edges that immature baby hairs would often be left in the comb. :ohwell:

HTH's

pringe

thanks panamoni. I'm embarrassed by mine but gotta suck it up. No way to move forward if i keep focusing on what it is now. gotta push ahead. Happy growing everyone!

Forgot to say: This week I've been pretty good so far. I've been massaging JBCO onto my temples and nape for a min of 5 min. I think I used Olive oil earlier in the week as well.

I have a question. does anyone know how long it will be before you see any type of results from the massaging? or is this an area where you will have really slow progress?

Last edited:

kroeskop

I committ to:
I will apply JBCO and to my edges and massage my scalp for 5 minutes nightly. I will moisturize it in the morning. I will not braid my edges at all ( the rest of my hair is in braids) I will post a picture after this weekend when I take these braids out.

panamoni

Pringe, I can totally relate to being embarrassed by the pics. Mine are horrendous, and I cringed every time I opened this thread and had to scroll by them, but I'lm also going to keep focused on the progress.

With regard to the question about length of time for seeing progress, if you click on the first post of this thread, you'll see links at the bottom to several ladies who have made progress and read about their journeys.

As for me, I'm still going with MT and JBCO w/ peppermint oil just about every other night.

kroeskop

yeah I see a ray of light....I felt some thicker fuzzies today :0 where there was none before!!!! I nearly cried because i thoughed I might have caused permanent damage from all the hair pulling!!! NEVER, EVA AGAIN will I braid my EDGES...you hear me!!! LOL....Happy edge growth y'all!!! and offcourse a heap load of patience - deep sigh;)

pringe

ok kroeskop so I'm not going crazy! I swear, all this massaging and JBCO i swear my edges feel al il more unkept that usual! It feels more "fuzzy" at my edges. Like it just needs to be brushed but I REFUSE to use a brush anymore! I just wanna promote the growth like i know i can!

Zedster

I'm checking in to say I've been trying to massage nightly, though there are days when
I get home from work, change, and plop into bed. I'm using Castor oil, though I sometimes add Rosemary EO.

Quty_Bug

Is it to late to join? My focus is on my edges, but I'll be working on my nape as well.

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply __Castor oil and Peppermint oil__ to my edges and massage my scalp for __at least 5 minutes__ nightly. I will __wear a satin scarf to bed to protect__ my nape/edges and will __do low manipulation styles.”

Sorry for the huge photos...

amwcah

Ladies I just wanted to share something that I read recently which appears to make sense.

For the ladies trying to grow back your delicate edges it may actually be more favorable to "hold off" on the massages and instead adopt the technique of pressing your Castor oil or other growth aid into the scalp with "gentle" pressure. The rationale for this is that if your have young immature hairs growing in this area you may actually be pulling them out from their immature follicles which are recovering thereby defeating the purpose of the massage.

Instead what I do now is dab the tips of my fingers into some JCBO mixture in a small dish and press this along my temples and edges lightly repeating this for a few minutes.

I am also stepping up my protein and moisture treatments on my edges so that what ever growth I am getting along my edges is being strengthened and retained.

I have VERY BAD edges so have a very long way to go, hence why I am being very gentle with mine. I started this after I realized that when I was gently combing an detangling my edges that immature baby hairs would often be left in the comb. :ohwell:

HTH's

I was wondering about this because I would see little hairs on my finger tips. So, I have just been dabbing at my edges and cowashing my nape daily to every other day.

amwcah

Its time to post pics, huh? I'll be back.

My original pics are on page 6. Sorry, but I don't have the skills to do comparison pics.

I don't see much progress. Also, the hair in the nape continued to fall and went bald, so the nape has grown considerably.

Attachments

• Photo_031510_001.jpg
    Photo_031510_001.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Photo_031510_002.jpg
    Photo_031510_002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Photo_031510_003.jpg
    Photo_031510_003.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo_031510_005.jpg
    Photo_031510_005.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

panamoni

It is that time to post progress pics. I'll post mine around the first week of April, but it's time to start now if anyone's ready. Even 1/4 inch is progress!

Vintageglam

amwcha

I have been doing this for about 1 month now and I can definately notice the difference.

I have been using my MT & JBCO Mixtures respectively about 3x week and gently pressing in at the temples and gently appying pressure but NOT massaging. I also DO NOT comb or brush this area unless sopping wet with a really slippy condish and then I gently tease any tangles away VERY GENTLY.

I do not know why this did not occur to me before given that it is so obvious. Hair loss at the edges I belive is due to the shrinking of the follicles after much trauma and abuse and folliculitis (sp) as such any hairs that start sprouting will initially be very fine and vulnerable so therefore need to be handled like silk. This means NO relaxing or Flat Ironing, rollersetting or slicking back your edges or weaving or braiding or anything else that puts stress on an already stressed and recovering area.

These days I am miss fuzzy edges but I don't care bc I see (slow) but steady progress. Spots that were completely "clean" bald now have some light "fuzz" and "stubble". I seriously advise ladies whom haven't done so with weak edges to try MT. I do not know how it works but I do believe MT somehow strengthens any new growth you get in this area so that it can survive, mature and grow. Be mindful however that you should NOT use the MT neat and should heavily dilute it in a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio. I also add essential oils and EMU oil to my MT mix. Be mindful however that if you choose this route that you will need to be on top of your moisturisation.

I also believe its important to keep this area clean so co-washing and constant moisture is not a bad idea as the follicles are vulnerable so you do not want any scalp infections/ dermatitis etc which could affect these follicles at all. I am thinking now of maybe doing co-washes on just my edges every other day......:scratchch....

ETA: I am also thinking up new ways of protecting my hair at night as I am sure my scarf cannot be helping my edges no matter how gentle I am. Its all friction at the end of the day... Suggestions greatly welcome here. One idea I had was to bun and baggie my bun at night and then sleep on silk pillowcases. I have already bought a whole load of silk, satin and velour cushions for lounging around my house bc as much as I love my sofa, I am sure the material its made from does not love my hair.

Last edited:

panamoni

I was wondering what you ladies think - I'm going to get a weave and I was wondering if I should leave my nape out or braid it up and include it in the weave? I want to do whatever is most protective for my nape.
Thanks

dimechiq

Checking in I've been

- Groganics Ice Oil on temples and nape. Forget nape sometimes. Not consistent. Will b.
- special attn to nape for moisturizing
- low manip

Not sure about nape but edges are growing. But growing thin. So fall out must be still happening. 1 down 1 more to go.

dimechiq

panamoni
I would protein and moisterize condition it, then put a good moisterizer on it and braid it up. It needs to be able to resist the friction from the weave. Well I guess it depend on how the weave will be. I wouldn't put weave in that area u don't want anthing pulling on it.

pringe

still here, still hanging in there. Have been applying different oils in the am and at night for the 5 minute massage/press. Still getting the hang of pressing. Still trying to be gentle! i'm not sure if i see too much growth but I keep reminding myself that this hair loss has been over YEARS!. It's gonna take a while to see any progress so I'll keep with it!

djkforeal

Hi ladies,
Checking in again, I plan on doing a length check next weekend cause I want to straighten my hair for Easter. I mixed JBCO and Emu Oil together in my applicator bottle and applied to my scalp and I could immediately feel the benefits of the Emu Oil applied almost directly to my scalp instead of a small amount mixed into my MN mix. I am going to have to make another batch of my MN and MegaTek mix because the peppermint oil is too strong for me. I will leave the peppermint oil out since I am already getting that from my profectiv growth renew. I also recently purchased a Ting Ting 4 speed head massager and I like it a lot. I purchased it on amazon.com and it saves me from putting my fingers in my head and possibly rubbing any small hairs out. I just place it on my scalp where I want it to massage and turn it on and let it do it's thing. You can adjust the speed settings to the intensity you want and you only need a 5 min. session!
My nape and edges regimen is pretty much the same, I am braiding them up for the braid challenge and still able to get to my area's that need the most help due to my alopecia. I will be back to update with some pics next time. HHG

Last edited:

panamoni

Hi Ladies,

I decided not to get a relaxer or straighten right now since I'm getting the sew-in, so it will be hard to see my progress in the nape area. Now that I think of it, I really wasn't planning on relaxing that area all year anyway, so, I'll still try to take some pics of the area, but not sure how clear they'll be. Tonight, I'm getting my sew in.

I'm going to leave the back and the front out so that I can still remain on my nape and edge care regimin. I've been using my mixture of JBCO and peppermint oil (just a little) in those areas a few days a week (goal is nightly).

amwcah

I'm feeling really frustrated with my nape area. I hope that my bald nape won't be a recurrent problem for me. I'm relaxing this week and I most definitely will put vaseline on my nape and edges.