EMERGENCY! TANGLES! HELP!!!!!!!!

Iluvsmuhgrass

I just took down my weave last night. My hair shed minimally (YAY!) so I proceeded to whip up some conditioner and grabbed the Miss Key 10 en 1 (I rarely use alot of this because it makes my hair hard and dry) along with a few of my other staples (suave coconut, humectress, oils) and went to bed with it in my hair. When I woke up everything was ok. I had a quick breakfast (still ok) and proceeded to wash with Nexxus Therappe and condition with CON. When I rinsed and patted dry I had MASSIVE tangles!!! I'm talking MATTED hair!!!!

Somebody HELP!!!!!! WHAT DO I DO NOW!??!?!?!?!! :eek: I have like two inches of new growth that's feeling dry but it's the relaxed hair that's tangled/matted.

preciousjewel76

I suspect you have some shed hair that led to your tangling. How long did you have the weave in? Did you comb out/detangle your hair thoroughly before washing?

Iluvsmuhgrass

I had it in for five weeks. I was able to detangle thoroughly prior to washing. I had about a handful mix of 50% shed and 50% that my ex cut by accident. :( This was the first time I didn't put my hair in plaits before I wash..... now I have massive tangles.

preciousjewel76

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I had it in for five weeks. I was able to detangle thoroughly prior to washing. I had about a handful mix of 50% shed and 50% that my ex cut by accident. :( This was the first time I didn't put my hair in plaits before I wash..... now I have massive tangles.

Girl, I think you just answered your own question. I'm scurred to try washing my hair while it's unbraided for that very reason!

I find that on rare occasions that I do get tangles, the following products help me get rid of 'em:

Dominican rinses - Nacidit Olive Oil or Praital Silk Worm
Cheapy conditioner
ACV rinse
Oils
A DC with cones/slip, like Motions Moisture Plus

Just slap on a good, slippy condish, let it sit, and comb it out gently. Good luck!

camellia

I'd use a huge amount of "slippy" conditioner, something loaded with cones and then sit down for a long detangling session with a wide toothed comb, starting from the ends up, in very small sections.

nycutiepie

I always braid before washing after a weave takedown because this has happened to me before. All the above suggestions are very good. If you use oils, I would get something like Amla or some other oil and mix that in with something that gives slip......like Silicon Mix and let it sit and comb slowly. Good luck.

RabiaElaine

I agree w/ all of the suggestions. Anothing thing that might help next time. When you take down the weave spray the cornrows with some s-curl before you start unbraiding them. It makes the detangling process much easier. And the only time I wash my hair now w/o it in braids is when I'm washing out my relaxer. My hair generally doesn't tangle at this time because of the relaxer. Other than that I ALWAYS braid up my hair before washing. I unbraid it after I let the conditioner sit in it for a while.

Let us know how it goes.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I've spent the last hour and a half workin on one side of my head and i'm still not done. It's slow going. My crown is a mess. :( I am sooooooooooo discouraged right now.

RabiaElaine

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I've spent the last hour and a half workin on one side of my head and i'm still not done. It's slow going. My crown is a mess. :( I am sooooooooooo discouraged right now.

Aww be encouraged. You'll get it all detangled just go slow. Do you have some S-curl near you? If so grab that and spray the section you are detangling then work from the ends to the roots.

turnergirl

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
It will be alright sis. Just keep going. Detangling is always a major job for me since I am natural but I once had a nightmare 4 hours of detangling after I allowed a twistout to get wet in the shower. It seems like it will never end but it will. Thick oil and slippery conditioner will make it easier. If you get frustrated, take a break. Or drop the comb and use your fingers. Everytime you finish a section braid it and clip it away. Good Luck

Iluvsmuhgrass

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've spent all day and I only have 1/2 of my head done. :(

Never in my LIFE has this ever happened. These aren't tangles... they're mats. My hair is matted. I've lost another handful on just that one side. I am thinking about leaving it alone (after detangled and plaited) and just wait until relaxer day. I almost took a pic because it's just that unbelievable. :cry: