Ethnicity Fee?

melodee

I read in Glamour (I think) magazine about an AA lady who went into a salon to get what was supposed to have been a ten dollar haircut and was charged $50. The increase was mainly due to what the salon called an "ethnicity fee". She appeared to have type 3 hair and did not have anything more done to her hair than any other client paying $10. She refused to pay. Doesn't an ethnicity fee sound discriminatory? Has anyone heard of this?

kreeme

I read that last month too...I was like WTF is that all about?! I have never heard of such a thing. But maybe she was at a salon that caters to people of non-color

Peachtree

WHAT
!!!
But what's blowing me away is that they're getting away with it. Oh no,
, this is why I do my own...

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
I read that last month too...I was like WTF is that all about?! I have never heard of such a thing. But maybe she was at a salon that caters to people of non-color

[/ QUOTE ]

That is discrimination no matter which way you look at it. I'm glad she refused. They get away with that stuff because people let them. I'd also put the word out they were discrimnating and reprt them to the Better Business Bureau.

azul11

i'm confused. why open up a business if you only want a certain group of people to come in. why not have a big sign out that says this. so there is no confusion. we dont cater to people of color. make it clear so people will know what kind of business they are running. also have a sign that says we will charge you extra if your are a person of color. i mean let it be known. i feel if you are going to discriminate against someone based solely on the color of their skin then you should let it be known. if you are going to be so bold to charge someone a ethnicity fee do it all the way. i hope something happens to the owners of this salon to wake them up and let them realize you cant get away with this crap. God bless you all.

karezone

sounds rather racist too me. What my mom used to do was call a salon and ask if they did ethnic hair just to avoid situations such as this. Always call ahead.

alireno

This is CRAZY! I have had white hairdressers in the past tell me that they don't know how to do "my kind if hair". The way I see it is if you call yourself a beautician, you should know how to style any type of hair that grows from a human scalp regardless of the person's ethnicity.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
This is CRAZY! I have had white hairdressers in the past tell me that they don't know how to do "my kind if hair". The way I see it is if you call yourself a beautician, you should know how to style any type of hair that grows from a human scalp regardless of the person's ethnicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN, what they're really saying is "I'm inept". There are several "white" salons in my area that do "ethnic" hair and do it well because they're trained to do hair, which all stylists should be. I know a lot of AA women who go to this certain Hair Cuttery for their wash and sets because they're so much cheaper than most "black" salons.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I wonder if non-blacks with curly or kinky hair are charged extra?

It seems like anyone with a slight bend in their hair complains about stylists not knowing what to do with their hair... What are they teaching in beauty school--that all hair has to be bone straight before it can be cut or styled?

G

Haha! This sounds like utter bull-sh** to me!

What do they tell black people who have naturally bone straight hair like a few of my cousins?

Their hair is as straight as any white person's but they are black. Now WHAT!?

lovechic

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
I know a lot of AA women who go to this certain Hair Cuttery for their wash and sets because they're so much cheaper than most "black" salons.

[/ QUOTE ] AND THEY PROBABLY GET OUT FASTER!!! NONE OF THAT IN AT 10 a.m. OUT AT 3p.m. !!! LOL! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
the magazine should have sent in a type 3 white woman to see what happeded. black hair is no harder to trim than non black hair i dont get it ?????

blkmaryland

I have been a non-subscription member but when I saw this topic....I had to subscribe to respond....
For the past five years I have gone to HairCuttery's through out the state of Maryland and I guess I could say through-out the country......All Haircuttery Salons can give you a roller-set and get you out in less than the 5 hours that you have to wait in some saloons. I would tell the stylist that when I was dry, to just take out the rollers and that is it. Afterwards, I would proceed to pull my scarf out (yea...I do travel everywhere with my ugly, worn out, ten year old scarf) and wrap my hair in a doobie. The best deal was that it cost $10.00!!!!!!! Well needless to say, I was in shock when I went the last time and it cost me $35.00!!!!! I was pi$$ed!!!!! I had to pay $35.00 and the stylist didn't do anything but roller-set my hair and take out the rollers!!!!!! The stylist, who was black, told me that there was a lawsuit against the Haircuttery in this area because they had gone up on price because, and I quote, "African-American hair is very difficult to deal with" unquote......Needless to say, I have not been back........plus...I have relaxed hair that is thinner than most "non-African-American" hair...sorry about the long response but as you can see....this subject just gets me heated!!!!!

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
blkmaryland said:
"African-American hair is very difficult to deal with" unquote......

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG !!! How rude !!! Difficult for who?
Maybe just maybe some black women had gone in there demanding all these fancy stlyes - but still that's not a nice thing to say.

ms_kenesha

When I went to the Hair Cuttery in Greenbelt, MD on New Year's Eve '03 into '04. I wanted to get my hair cut and I was charged more than the white clients and I had to wait for a black stylist (1 of 2) because the Asian and White woman there would not do my hair. So, I sat there for almost an hour waiting for the black stylist! Then this ***** had a nerve to be rude. I wanted my hair in the china bob cut that is in the HiRez hair color ads and the first thing she tries to do is insult me! Okay the cut was sitting right on your shoulders and she was like "your hair is already that length"! Yes, in the front it was, but in the back my hair was much longer *I had that v-tail going on, even in this pic you can't see where my hair ends

So, I say no my hair is longer than that, she goes whatever and starts cutting my hair, then to add insult to injury she holds up a piece of hair about 3/4 of an inch that she cut, from like the sides and goes "see", yet on the floor are chunks of hair much longer. WHATEVER! She then cuts my bangs, lopsided. She washes me, asks why I'm waiting so long to get a touch-up, then puts some sticky *** setting or blowdry lotion in my hair and blowdries it with much difficulty and my cut looked nice but my hair was sticky. I went home right after, re-washed and blowdried my hair *with ease* and re-styled it. I wish I had developed the pics from that night, I'll do it soon and post them *the cut was super cute & I might get it like that again*

It was one of my worst hair salon experiences ever and I have yet to go back!

P.S. A bi-racial female was in there with long mid-back hair and a white stylists did not make her wait to get a trim /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
blkmaryland said:
I have been a non-subscription member but when I saw this topic....I had to subscribe to respond....
For the past five years I have gone to HairCuttery's through out the state of Maryland and I guess I could say through-out the country......All Haircuttery Salons can give you a roller-set and get you out in less than the 5 hours that you have to wait in some saloons. I would tell the stylist that when I was dry, to just take out the rollers and that is it. Afterwards, I would proceed to pull my scarf out (yea...I do travel everywhere with my ugly, worn out, ten year old scarf) and wrap my hair in a doobie. The best deal was that it cost $10.00!!!!!!! Well needless to say, I was in shock when I went the last time and it cost me $35.00!!!!! I was pi$$ed!!!!! I had to pay $35.00 and the stylist didn't do anything but roller-set my hair and take out the rollers!!!!!! The stylist, who was black, told me that there was a lawsuit against the Haircuttery in this area because they had gone up on price because, and I quote, "African-American hair is very difficult to deal with" unquote......Needless to say, I have not been back........plus...I have relaxed hair that is thinner than most "non-African-American" hair...sorry about the long response but as you can see....this subject just gets me heated!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
black hair is no harder to trim than non black hair i dont get it ?????

[/ QUOTE ]

I know right? I don't get it either. I have heard stories from couple of friends of mine that went into different salons and where told things like "We don't do that type of hair." ect...but an ethnicity fee?! Wow Ms K & blkmaryland...both of your stories are a trip! Note to self...stay far far away from Hair Cuttery. I will just stick to Black and other ethnic salons!

jainygirl

Maybe theyre charging it with the line of thinking that, "they pay $80 to get their hair done anyway, so why dont we get a piece of the action." cheeky @#$%@!#'s -- jainygirl

Jenai

I heard about Hair Cuttery getting sued on a radio talk show recently. They said that a AA woman went in to have a wash & set and hair cut. They told her they would be charging her extra because it would take longer to stlye her hair (past shoulder length). The radio station called up some Hair Cuttery owners who said that it was time, not ethnicity that was the factor in them charging that lady more money.

My ?: Would they have charged a White or Asian Woman with long hair more money? Their hair would have taken just as long to do.