"Everybody Doesn't Have Good Hair."

Your Cheeziness

Err...what?

This statement was made repeatedly by Paula, my stylist at Ulta who gave me the Keratin Complex Treatment.

She was complimenting my hair, but I thank her because she is doing all of the work. She said I have "good hair" and it's taking very well to the treatment like she figured it would. I mulled over what she just said for a moment before I replied.

Me: Everyone has good hair, they just need to know their lane when it comes to styling.

Paula: No, everyone doesn't have good hair, honey. You ever heard the term, "you can't polish a turd."

Me: WTF *giggles* (I couldn't help myself, she came out of left field on me.) Yeah I've heard of that.

Paula: Well, not everybody has good hair and there is some hair a stylist just can't help.

Me: Well, my bff has super, super coarse shrinky hair. In school, she used to relax and it looked really bad. In college, she transitioned with braids and whatnot and went natural. Now she has some gorgeous, thick shoulder length locs that she maintains herself.

Paula: Really?

Me: Yep, I feel that she just needed to find her lane when it comes to styling. Everyone has the potential to have good hair.

Paula: *crickets*

Clearly gay black stylist standing next to us: MMM-HMMM! (co-signing)

Understand that sometimes a style choice may not be the best fit for you. But don't ever think your hair can't look good. You may just have not found the best look for you yet. Straight hair does not equal "good", long hair does not equal "pretty" and natural hair does not equal "healthy". Be open to other style choices if you're not completely satisfied and most important do what fits you.Ladies and gents, don't EVER let anyone tell you that your hair cannot be good because it can!

:)

BlackMasterPiece

You handled that perfectly...I have that exact convo with people a coupla times every year, when you know better, you do better.

aquajoyice

It's amazing that stylist of all people would make a statement like that. It's funny becuase I have ran into so many people that swear by the "good hair vs. Bad Hair" I'm glad you were able to educate her... a stylist LOL. I love that part with the Gay Stylist LOL

Your Cheeziness

Other than that comment, she did a wonderful job on my Keratin Complex Treatment. (Pics in my Fotki, btw). I can't keep my hands out of my hair. She detangled properly and everything. Ah well, if she was 100% perfect, it wouldn't have been real. lol

lilsparkle825

that right there goes to show you...

...just because you have a cosmetology license doesn't mean you have common sense OR the ability to be a good stylist.

D.N.A.

It's unfortunate that people feel this way, especially stylists because many people who aren't very educated about hair care regard them as the ultimate authority on hair. Anyway, it's great that you responded politely and made it a "teachable moment". All (healthy) hair is indeed good hair and it's just a matter of discovering what your hair likes, and working with it, as opposed to against it.

PJaye

I agree, and you handled the situation very well; much better than I would have (I probably would have turned up the volume on my mp3 player on her). I wish people would come to the realization that they need not give heed to such divisive terms.

*Long, drawn out sigh*

beans4reezy

You made it a teachable moment, I'm glad you corrected her. What's funny is when she said there are some people that even stylists can help; as if sytlists have the ability to improve your hair. IMO, most stylists get your hair to look nice, but to truly care for and help to retain length- most stylists are clueless.

Your Cheeziness

You made it a teachable moment, I'm glad you corrected her. What's funny is when she said there are some people that even stylists can help; as if sytlists have the ability to improve your hair. IMO, most stylists get your hair to look nice, but to truly care for and help to retain length- most stylists are clueless.

True. I heard my former stylist say something to the effect of that he doesn't give advice for home care, he styles hair and there is a difference. :ohwell:

sqzbly1908

Hey Cheezi - haven't seen u in minute!!!

You handled that well..u would think that stylists would be a little more open-minded...

prettyplump04

True. I heard my former stylist say something to the effect of that he doesn't give advice for home care, he styles hair and there is a difference. :ohwell:

See that the B.S. that is making stop going to the salon for a while. That quote and the fact my stylist would charge $20-$25 for DCs and treatments that cost way less if I was to go out and bought the product my damn self. And I think those prices stated went up.

gymfreak336

Err...what?

This statement was made repeatedly by Paula, my stylist at Ulta who gave me the Keratin Complex Treatment.

She was complimenting my hair, but I thank her because she is doing all of the work. She said I have "good hair" and it's taking very well to the treatment like she figured it would. I mulled over what she just said for a moment before I replied.

Me: Everyone has good hair, they just need to know their lane when it comes to styling.

Paula: No, everyone doesn't have good hair, honey. You ever heard the term, "you can't polish a turd."

Me: WTF *giggles* (I couldn't help myself, she came out of left field on me.) Yeah I've heard of that.

Paula: Well, not everybody has good hair and there is some hair a stylist just can't help.

Me: Well, my bff has super, super coarse shrinky hair. In school, she used to relax and it looked really bad. In college, she transitioned with braids and whatnot and went natural. Now she has some gorgeous, thick shoulder length locs that she maintains herself.

Paula: Really?

Me: Yep, I feel that she just needed to find her lane when it comes to styling. Everyone has the potential to have good hair.

Paula: *crickets*

Clearly gay black stylist standing next to us: MMM-HMMM! (co-signing)

Understand that sometimes a style choice may not be the best fit for you. But don't ever think your hair can't look good. You may just have not found the best look for you yet. Straight hair does not equal "good", long hair does not equal "pretty" and natural hair does not equal "healthy". Be open to other style choices if you're not completely satisfied and most important do what fits you.Ladies and gents, don't EVER let anyone tell you that your hair cannot be good because it can!

:)

Because I can't thank you twice.

HappilyLiberal

I cannot understand why someone who makes a living on the public paying them for a service that they can provide for themselves would share those thoughts--especially in a recession. You would think self-preservation alone would help them zip those lips!

Janet'

OP,

I really think that you handled the situation wonderfully; it ended up being a "win-win" for all involved...Your hair stylist, because of you, kept her dignity and you enlightened someone who had a very twisted view...People like that scare me because she is in a relative position of authority- women look up to her to be the knowledgeable one and when she begins spitting that ignorance:nono::nono: some will take it as "truth" and that is how ignorance spreads:wallbash::wallbash:

Really good job!

Hairsofab

I've been told similar by stylists in the past. Except I was usually on the receiving end. "Oh you just don't have that kind of hair" "Not everyone has good hair" etc. I'm glad you schooled that lady.

AvaSpeaks

It's amazing that stylist of all people would make a statement like that. It's funny becuase I have ran into so many people that swear by the "good hair vs. Bad Hair" I'm glad you were able to educate her... a stylist LOL. I love that part with the Gay Stylist LOL

You know one of the receptionist at my job said the same thing to me. Now we both got Natural hair but I was telling her about my hair style right now, I just got some twists wrapped around itself in knots and she told me "yeah but you got that good hair".

:huh:

Mizz Diamonds

Wow I wouldn't know what to say especially with that whole turd comment I would be like "Excuse me madam, but my hair does not resemble faeces." LOL.
But yeah you handled it really well.

Your Cheeziness

Wow I wouldn't know what to say especially with that whole turd comment I would be like "Excuse me madam, but my hair does not resemble faeces." LOL.
But yeah you handled it really well.

lol...well I'd be careful about what I said to a woman with a 450 degree flat iron next to my ear. :lachen:

mstar

Luxury bacon
And this is why many black women are damn near bald-headed. :nono:

Sounds like this stylist needs to be working with celebrities on photo shoots, not with the general public. That level of haughtiness and indifference to the state of your clients' hair is just unacceptable to me.

Thank God for LHCF.

Barbara

Princess
Years ago, my stylist was amazed when I reached mid-back length. He thought it couldn't be done, because I'm a type 4 a/b. That just goes to show that they don't know everything about hair.

Last edited:

Aviah

*Sigh*
We all know "good" hair is types 1-3 maybe 4a if you're lucky.
Still, to class hair as good and bad is still weird to me.
I'm really glad my mother never bought into that crap...

As for your stylist, I wonder what she tells those people with "bad" hair when they come to her:nono:.