UGH....Stylist Frustration....

RabiaElaine

I just called this aclaimed New York stylist, Who has won many awards for her work.

I called because I am thinking of switching from my stylist. I wanted to know if she would be willing to work with someone who has the goal of having long hair, who has never had long hair before.

You know what she said to me..."Well first of all not everyone can have long hair, if you have never had long hair before you probably will never have long hair."

Does anyone think she's right? I hope not.

Nope! She's definitely wrong in my opinion. To me that says She's not interested helping her clients grow hair. She just in it for the "artistic" opportunities...

look.gif

Nope I don't think she is right. I think the attainment of extremely long hair like thigh length and beyond is probably limited by genetics. Anything else I think is limited by the the care of your hair. I NEVER had hair as a child and I reached brastrap two months ago. (I later had to cut 2 inches because of sloppy handling.) I can't tell you the amount of people who told me I had crappy "un growable" hair.

blush.gif
wow, what was this stylist name and what salon does she work for?

shocked.gif
I am still in shock.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
Sounds like the stylist someone posted a newsletter about recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

What newsletter? what stylist? I hope that it isn't mine
frown.gif

I think it maybe the one I posted I'll try and find it. That stylist needs to be referred to this boards. Seriously tell me who she is and I'll write her a letter and send her some examples of women on this boards. This kind of thing burns me up.

Of course she's not right!!! C'mon! She hasn't even laid eyes on your hair and she made that assumption out of ignorance!

How do these people stay in business?
whyme.gif

She is definitely wrong, she was being rude. I hate when peole tell other people what they aren't going to be a ble to do. Grow your hair long and go back and prove her wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
blush.gif

shocked.gif
I am still in shock.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stylist is Antekqua. I hope that she is no one's stylist here and if she is maybe I just caught her on the wrong day. She is supposed to be some big celebrity stylist. She has a website for her salon.

Anyway, she turned me off.

If anyone knows of a better salon in New York, where they are genuinely interested in helping people who want long hair please let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
iwantlongerhair said:
She is definitely wrong, she was being rude. I hate when peole tell other people what they aren't going to be a ble to do. Grow your hair long and go back and prove her wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes! She was absolutely being rude and ARROGANT!
mad.gif
Make her eat those words!

I think it's hard to find a black stylist who caters to helping us women GROW our hair. A lot of them just don't care. I don't believe that bs either! Of course you can have long hair if you try. You said she caters to celebs, and you know 99% of them have weaves anyway. Tell her to kiss you a$$ and move on girl. Thats why I'm my own stylist from now on. I know I can do my own perm because I've done them before. Why did I ever go back? I'm limitin my salon visits to press outs for special occasions. And even then I'm gonna wash and airdry before my appointments. I don't trust those girls in my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
RabiaElaine said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
blush.gif

shocked.gif
I am still in shock.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stylist is Antekqua. I hope that she is no one's stylist here and if she is maybe I just caught her on the wrong day. She is supposed to be some big celebrity stylist. She has a website for her salon.

Anyway, she turned me off.

If anyone knows of a better salon in New York, where they are genuinely interested in helping people who want long hair please let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
I am truly shocked now. I have been to here in the past and so has my friend. She is expensive but an excellent hairdresser. She will take a ruler to your new growth to make sure she doesn't overlap and only uses the best salon lines. She is so cautious and careful that I am surprised she would say something like that because with her methods your hair is gonna grow and you'll retain length. I would go and talk to her and let her know that you do not want her to do anything more than dust. She is not the type that will say okay and then cut 3 inches off. She is EXTREMELY professional.

Really well that is interesting Cutebajangirl. From your description she does sound like a professional, I've never been to a stylist who measures new growth.

Why did you stop going to her?

I would keep getting suggestions via word of mouth. I went to a "celebrity stylist" once and though the FIRST time she colored my hair it came out cute...the few times thereafter were pretty much my downfall. Now I say this to say...they are used to (not all) doing photo shoots which require "quick" styling with a lot of product (heat, weaves, unnecessary roughness (cuz the hair is faux)...

I just gave a suggestion to another poster online for my BK hairdress and I am pleased that she was SO PLEASED with her results. Though she is not black, she understands black hair care and individual needs.

Its my own lack of self control (with color and different styles) that has hindered my full potential with growth but no more "fancy stylists and their fancy prices" for me
frown.gif

Peppermint...

She's in the bronx?? I park my car in the bronx before I head down to Manhattan everyday. Please divulge the details. What do you mean that she understands black hair care?? Is she dominican? Please explain...:)

[ QUOTE ]
RabiaElaine said:
Really well that is interesting Cutebajangirl. From your description she does sound like a professional, I've never been to a stylist who measures new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

She is EXPENSIVE, very much so.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
RabiaElaine said:

[/ QUOTE ]

She is EXPENSIVE, very much so.

[/ QUOTE ]

She sure is! I just took a look at her price list
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Rabia...you are making me laugh..its Pepper ANNE (peppermint heee heee!!)

In any case, I am in the BX and she is in BK. Very nice girl/lady. I have been going to her for years. She is not expensive (but would seem so compared to the regular wash and sets) but she is honest, not a scissor happy stylist, and yes she is Dominican. When my hair was going downhill she really brought it back to life. Currently I am in braids (just got them Sunday) but I am definitely not going to "cheat" on her anymore...it only causes my demise
frown.gif

She is on ...well just get off the train at Bergen and if you really want to check her out PM me for details so I can call her and give her a heads up like I did for the other young lady on this board. (This also goes for anyone else who is interested in trying someone new).

I have been to a lot of salons and by far she is the best in terms of quality, professionalism, technique - everything. She even introduced me to a "conditioner spiked" mild perm and I am LOVING IT!

Back