Have you ladies read this??

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Okay, so I bought Paula Begoun's book "Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me". She is seriously making me think twice about some of the money I am spending on hair care products. She does make mention that salon products are not necessarily better than supermarket/drugstore products. She also makes mention that expensive products aren't necessarily better than inexpensive ones.

Now, this is the part I'm having problems with: she says that 1) it's not possible to repair damaged hair, and 2) only products containing FDA-approved drugs can grow hair. She really has contradictory stuff in here ladies. And when I say contradictory, I mean in regards to what we all are learning here.

She does a review of a lot of the brands we all tend to use, like AO, Kenra, Joico, Abba, etc..........The only 2 I would like to have seen in there was KeraCare and Design Essentials, but she doesn't do a review on those:wallbash:

Interesting...only problem is since coming here my hair has never been healthier or longer but the author is definitely entitled to her own opinion. Does she have her own hair care line too approved by the FDA?

Not yet...I really wanted to read it though when she was Essence mag a while ago talking about different products...Doesn't she talks about Phyto?:look:

Yes, she talks about Phyto, Redken, Frederick Fekkai, Aveda, and a host of other products. I don't know if any of that stuff she says has any real proof behind it, but all I know is that ever since joining the hair boards, my hair has gotten a whole lot better (not to mention the growth!). So, I'm going to read the book a little more in depth to see what else she talks about and I'll share some of the info with you guys!!

Now, this is the part I'm having problems with: she says that 1) it's not possible to repair damaged hair, and 2) only products containing FDA-approved drugs can grow hair. She really has contradictory stuff in here ladies. And when I say contradictory, I mean in regards to what we all are learning here.

i think that 1.) is true... there are degrees of damage and there is a "point of no return" so to speak where you hair is so damaged that you can't repair it. when i first started conditioner-washing my textlaxed, heat-fried double-process colored hair, my hair's condition improved drastically. but some pieces were dry, frizzy, always brittle... never looked right flat ironed and refused to curl up when i did wash and go styles... continually split like crazy and broke off. i think those pieces were damaged beyond rescuing... i mean this is back when i treated my hair BAAAAAAD... :nono:

now if your hair isn't at that "point of no return," there are techniques you can use to repair your hair... a lot of products out there claim to repair but really just mask damage IMO.

Interesting...only problem is since coming here my hair has never been healthier or longer but the author is definitely entitled to her own opinion. Does she have her own hair care line too approved by the FDA?

I highly doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if anything she's selling ends up just like all of the other products she says that aren't all that good for the hair.

Okay, so I bought Paula Begoun's book "Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me". She is seriously making me think twice about some of the money I am spending on hair care products. She does make mention that salon products are not necessarily better than supermarket/drugstore products. She also makes mention that expensive products aren't necessarily better than inexpensive ones.

She does a review of a lot of the brands we all tend to use, like AO, Kenra, Joico, Abba, etc..........The only 2 I would like to have seen in there was KeraCare and Design Essentials, but she doesn't do a review on those:wallbash:

That book has been out for a minute. I agree with the statement that damaged hair cannot be repaired. The "repairing" effect is temporary especially since hair is dead. I think of "repairing" products as being most effective as preventative measure for hair that has been compromised. Any products' effect is temporary, repairing or not.

As far as only FDA approved drugs can grow hair statement, was it isolated as you stated? The only way I would agree with that is if she was speaking in the context of medications or supplements they have done clinical trials on. I seriously doubt that the FDA has bogged themselves down with all of the claims of things that grow hair. Just because they haven't approved something doesn't mean it does/doesn't work.

She has a website that I get email updates from http://www.paulaschoice.com/default.asp

I like to read her review of products b/c she breaks down the chemicals in them and tell which products are a good value for the money, but I don't necessarily hold out what she says to be the absolute. A product that she doesn't rate highly may just happen to work for someone. You never know.

Read her books for years. Everybody is different so she can't skeak for everyone. I say try it if you like it keep it. I have tried products that she said was awful and they were great for me.

That book has been out for a minute. I agree with the statement that damaged hair cannot be repaired. The "repairing" effect is temporary especially since hair is dead. I think of "repairing" products as being most effective as preventative measure for hair that has been compromised. Any products' effect is temporary, repairing or not.

As far as only FDA approved drugs can grow hair statement, was it isolated as you stated? The only way I would agree with that is if she was speaking in the context of medications or supplements they have done clinical trials on. I seriously doubt that the FDA has bogged themselves down with all of the claims of things that grow hair. Just because they haven't approved something doesn't mean it does/doesn't work.

This is quoted directly from the book: "There are no cosmetics hair-care products that can make hair grow. None, period!! However, this does not include Rogaine (minoxidil), which is not a cosmetic; it is a pharmaceutical that has met radically different FDA testing and substantiation requirements." So I'm not sure exactly what she means by that, but I took it as her saying basically that anything claiming hair growth (that isn't regulated by the FDA) is a waste of money.

I have read Paula's work for years (she also has a great book about skincare products), and I generally agree with her. Much of what she says is consistent with what I have read on this board (particularly with regard to low-manipulation techniques). But my number one rule, regardless of what any "expert" says, is to use the products and techniques that work for me, period. Having says that, Paula's books are highly educational and interesting. (Off topic, but she has a line of skincare products that are fabulous.)

Back