Exercise frequently? What do you do to your hair?

greenandchic

I've been watching a lot of YT videos and reading posts here about roller setting, Curlformers, Flexi-Rods, blow outs etc. I feel my style choices are limited to buns because I will only sweat it out the next day. At the gym I wear my hair in a firm top bun because once I start jumping rope, my hair would be completely flat and limp.

LHCF fitness ladies, how do you style your hair on a day-to-day basis and still work out frequently? Would love to hear from natural, relaxed, textlaxed, etc.

Ann0804

While working out I wear a scarf, or style my hair into twists that I usually pin up- I don't like my hair out while working out.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I braid my hair in fours, like I do for my braidouts. I then workout. I wait to take the braids out until my hair is dry or at least semi dry. I french roll the back & then leave the front out. I also like the dutch twist(pic in siggie). I can workout with that style & go to work right afterwards.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

prettybyrd

French braids: one on each side. After I workout, I can take them down in the shower, rinse or co-wash (though I rarely co-wash), and then re-braid in the shower.

ETA: I'm not wearing loose styles because I'm trying to PS this entire year, so when I want to change, I'll wear a bun or twists. All are PS and great for frequent workouts.

Last edited:

londonfog

My hair is right above SL so you have me by some serious inches, LOLOL! I can't bun, braidout, or ponytail just yet but I do cornrows under a wig. I wash/DC on Saturdays & co-wash/DC Tues or Wed then wrap to dry & re-braid the next morning. I M&S the end of my braids morning & night & spray my conditioner mix on my cornrows & NG every night.

naturalmanenyc

I'm natural now. Twist outs are easiest for gym workouts since I tend to sweat. I've tried working out with the twist in and they are never dry enough to take down in time for meetings. I've tried pinning them up and using a bandanna but the best style was just to take the twists out.
photos are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/workout-hairstyle/

If I'm working from home (which I do frequently) then I let my twists fully dry before taking them down or I sit under my hood dryer.

When I was relaxed and transitioning to natural, I just used a scarf to keep my edges smooth. I wrote a blog post about hit here with photos.
http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/black-women-workout/

Last edited:

Nonie

My hair is in twists so I don't do anything. I really treat my hair as if in locs. I may leave them down or do a French braid or put them in a high pony. My hair hardly gets in the way of my day-to-day activities.

greenandchic

Thanks everyone! I think stretched styles are probably best because of the sweat = tangles. I would like to do a roller set but I know it probably won't last into the next day.

LadyEuphoria007

I scarf my hair as well. Right now I'm in twists so a ponytail is fine for working out then I come home and style my twists. I've also done French braids.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
pre_medicalrulz I'm in search of a wig :lol:. The problem is I hate all curly wigs because I have yet to see one that looks natural and a straight wig seems pointless.

I pretty much run or swim 6 out of 7 days of the week, so I feel like my choices are limited. I don't straighten or do twist-outs because I feel like all of the work that I put into the hairstyle goes to waste :lol:.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
pre_medicalrulz I'm in search of a wig :lol:. The problem is I hate all curly wigs because I have yet to see one that looks natural and a straight wig seems pointless.

I pretty much run or swim 6 out of 7 days of the week, so I feel like my choices are limited. I don't straighten or do twist-outs because I feel like all of the work that I put into the hairstyle goes to waste :lol:.

My gym wig is a short bob wig so I wont pass out w/ a lot of hair on my head. Lol

Mande30

I am relaxed.

While working out- high pony tail or bun, ends tucked in, satin loose scrunchy

I wear roller sets. I mist (water) and seal my hair everynight and roll it. It always looks fresh. I know a lot of people don't like to roll everynight, but I have been doing it for years, I'm used to it, I guess.

Mande30

I have a 'gym' wig LOL! :-/

Oooooooooow, child.... I just can't imagine. I almost pass out just wearing a hat. I guess my head gets too hot and sweats too bad to wear anything on it. The last time I tried, the hat was so drenched and hot that the sweat started pouring onto the floor and dripping into my eyes.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I keep my hair in twists and use a headband that collects the sweat. It's easier in the winter for me.

jnel29

I tend to wear my mini braids or a bun. Its hard to maintain any other styles because I co-wash frequently and GHE

m_wink

Anyone tried the "Save your Do" Gym Wrap by nicole ari parker? It's supposed to help preserve black women's hair when working out.

Ogoma

I finally found a way not to get my hair wet - put my hair up in a loose bun at the top of my head with my satin scrunchy. The solution was there all the time, but I kept trying to get creative.