Extensive Weave Check

Barbara

Princess
Back in January 2009, an older employee (64 years old) in another department made a statement about my hair. I normally wear it in a protective style (bun) 95 percent of the time, so she hasn’t seen me wear it down yet—even though a few other employees have. While I was working at the scanning machine, she stopped by and said: “It looks like you have it (the bun) attached to the back of your head.” I told her: “This is my natural hair.” She said: “It looks full. Have you ever thought about wearing it down?” I said: “I have.” Then she went away.

About a month later (February), while I dropped some mail in her office, she said: “Your hair looks so straight.” I said: “It’s straighter, because I just came from the salon last Saturday.” Then she said: “Is that really all your hair?” I said: “Yes, and I just had a major trim--about 4 inches.” She stared at me as if I was lying. So she stood up and stepped behind me. I showed her my trim, and she was shocked! I said: “I like it better because my ends are even, but I didn’t realize my stylist trim that much off . . . because I never look in the mirror when he’s working on my hair. I didn’t realize my hair was falling short from the comb until a few days later. She looked puzzled. Then I said: “I extended my comb out, but the hair was falling short, because it was shorter. I normally don’t look in the mirror when I comb my hair.” Her eyes bucked. :shocked: Then she said: “It’s so long!” I said: “No it’s not, it used to be down here (mid back & waist length), now it’s at the tip of my bra clasp. See it’s not a weave. The right side was about five inches longer than the left side. Then I proceed to pull my hair in opposite directions to show her that there aren’t any tracks.” She said: “My hair has never been longer than neck length, but I cover it with a wig.”

Now listen to this: I was oiling my hair in the rest room two days ago--Monday (parted it into four sections), and she walks in and says hello. Then before she goes into the stall, she comes back in front of the mirror and says giggly: “I can’t believe your hair is this long!” Then she actually yanks it, :shocked: and then she does a serious, aggressive weave check with both of her hands. Maybe she’s looking for “glued-on hair” since she can’t find tracks. All the time she is laughing. I try to play if off by saying: “I told you this is not a weave. From time to time, strangers will ask if I’m wearing a weave, but I tell them the truth. This is my natural hair.”

Then she goes on to say: “My hair has never been beyond my neck!” It’s very rare to see African American women with hair that length, unless it’s a weave. That has to be genetics.” I said: “There are women with long hair.” Then I catch myself because I realize that I can’t tell her any information about my regimen or the hair care boards, because she’s flaky. She asked me to have lunch with her, (and it’s on her) a total of three times back in December and January. Each time I went to her office, she was no where to be found. No explanations or apologies either.

Would you believe til this day, she’s still asking me to have lunch with her? I give her some lame excuse every time now. Then she says: “I forgot or I had an errand to run, etc.” I told her: “Order the food any day, then let me know when it’s here. I’m too busy to go out for lunch now.” She said: “I’ll get the menu.” I say to myself: “Yeah right!”

Well, I know what a weave check feels like now, so I sympathize with you ladies. Now you see why I refuse to share my hair care regimen with women like this. If they ask for products, I’ll give them the crappy stuff that I no longer use on my hair. If they want healthy hair, let them figure it out for themselves.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Thank you for sharing. I recommend you do not let her in your hair again. Next thing you know she'll be asking if she can comb if for you. EH! She sounds dumb. Well I guess we can't cure hair ignorance overnight. As we reach longer lengths the rest of the world is still struggling to find the answers to why their hair won't grow. :ohwell:

wish4length

:lachen:I'm trippin at you oiling the scalp in the bathroom!
Maybe I need to start doing my hair during my lunch breaks:scratchch....

secretrose

LOL that aint nothing. Well actually from a stranger is crazy but my aunt parted my hair with her wide tooth comb into sections to search for tracks or links or anything. She couldn't find anything but she still doesn't believe. This was when I was SL. Imagine what she would do if she saw me now:lachen:

LadyPaniolo

SMDH

That's the beauty of bunning, your hair is out of your way, protected from damage AND protected from aggressive weave checks.

candiecoco

I use to get this all the time. My hair has never been as long as your but it has always been around shoulder length and its thick. So people are always asking if I have a wig on or something. Dont let me were a rollerset they really think its a wig.

Barbara

Princess
:lachen:I'm trippin at you oiling the scalp in the bathroom!
Maybe I need to start doing my hair during my lunch breaks:scratchch....

No, I just parted my hair and oiled it in four sections. It only takes about three minutes. I do that when I don't have time to do it at home. In fact, this was my first time.

I've seen others spray their hair and put make up on.

Last edited:

alwayzalady22

i can't believe you let her put TWO hands in your hair like that :nono:

she'da caught an elbow to the bridge of her nose if that were me :look:

jerseyjill

I wouldn't have even went into that long explanation in the bathroom that one day. Smile and nod.

Same thing I was thinking. Original poster - honey, you gave her too much room to even go there with you. Like lilsaprkle said - Smile, nod and keep it moving.

Barbara

Princess
i can't believe you let her put TWO hands in your hair like that :nono:

she'da caught an elbow to the bridge of her nose if that were me :look:

She was behind me just looking. My back was facing her, plus she's taller than me and had on high heels which makes her even more taller. I had no idea she was going to do that since I showed her last month when she was behind me that I had no tracks.:spinning: I was totally caught off guard. I really didn't see it coming. :nono: It was like she was turning pages with my hair after she jerked it. I was shocked! Maybe she wanted proof that there weren't any extensions glued in. I wonder how she would feel if her wig was snatched off.

She was talking to us today in the rest room, and I waited before she left to comb my hair. I made sure not to take it down while she was there.

I won't say anything else to her about my hair.

Last edited: