Fake hair - why or why not?

Have you ever worn fake hair? Any reservations about doing so?

• Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Votes: 125 27.3%
  • Yes - I was nervous at first, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Votes: 133 29.0%
  • No - But I plan on doing so in the future.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • No - Never thought about it, but not opposed to it.

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • No - I don't ever think I'll wear fake hair.

Votes: 138 30.1%

• Total voters

atlien11

Thanks HoneyDew! The funny part is i take my hair down to rebraid it and lightly blow dry it every ten days. Well it has gotten really long and thick from this great protective style but instead of celebrating my hair, my reaction is: UMM, i DO NOT want to deal with that :nono:! So i braid it back up and throw the LF back on. One day ill get sick of them...but...not anytime soon. Its a vicious cycle i tell ya :rolleyes:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I've never worn a weave and I can't wear braids either. However, I wear phony ponies and half-wigs all the time. :yep: Styling my hair in the morning literally takes my about 30 seconds! I just keep most of my hair in plaits (leaving the front off), put on my half-wig, and put a pretty scarf or headband on (so I don't have to do any blending or combing.)

I'm truly lazy when it comes to styling my hair. :eek: It's enough that I keep it healthy and in good shape without styling stress. :rolleyes:

mzcris

I use to wear weave all the time years ago...I stopped because it was costly...I always made sure I got the best hair...:yep:...I think wearing a weave or even braids will be great for giving your hair a break...plus your hair will grow as well...my hair is a good length now...and I've thought about wearing a weave for a break too...warning!! Weave can be addictive...:drunk:...well to me anyway...:ohwell:

SpiritJunkie

I wear weaves and braids but not as much as i used too. my hairdresser and the hair i buy blends very well. in fact the weave had on this summer a few of you here thought it was my hair!!!:grin: I leave my natural hair out to blend. Most times now I rock buns and pony so i can wash , deep condition and do my thing with my hair.

i am currently in braids and try to wear them every winter. i keep them in for 6-8 weeks and put them on when i am stretching.

I am a past weave queen but have taking it down a few notches to love my hair more.:yep:

seeminglysweet

I've only wore braid extensions, but for some reason I can't wear it as a weave, like I will never do it.

Me too. I'd love to for variety but I always hate to look "typical" and somehow I feel a weave would do just that.

ETA: I like the idea of the falls but I just can't bring myself to try one. Plus ppl look at you CRAZY when you take down your hair at the BSS and your MBL

Last edited:

trini_rican

Actually i never thought i would try it but i did and here is what i learned (this pertains to my own situation):

1. I could not do a full sew in because i need to be able get to my scalp. I need to be able to get my fingers up in there to get a good scrub. I did try and blend (just a few tracks added) and that was cool but i think my hair thinned out from it so never again :nono:

2. Lacefronts ...well. They are GREAT protective styles so i have really l learned to make them work for me. i dont think mine look fake and i go out of my way to make them that way so i didnt feel self conscience :locks:

Bingo!! This is my new vice - until my hair's healthy again. I must say I don't wear fake hair - that's first and foremost to a natural look. I wear 100% remy lacefronts, they aren't cheap. I don't plan on doing it much longer but I'm working with what I got until my hair's where I want it to be before I stop wearing it. I have to say I absolutely LOVE it. But I want my own hair healthy again so it will be gone eventually but not before my hair's in good health. Great post by the way.

Last edited:

Luvmylife

I've worn it all...weaves, braids, wigs, you name it :lol: I never had a problem with fake hair, as long as it looks reasonably believeable and is well kempt, it doesn't bother me one bit. I liked weaves, but didn't like the price, time of install, and the fact I couldn't get to my ends...same problem with braids. I am currently on my half wig faze and I love it! It's so easy to switch up to many different looks without doing so much damage to your real hair...it's a great protective styling option for me!

Lakshmi S

I just don't have the desire for it. but i have seen some women and whoever did their hair are angels. i've seen some nice wigs also. but i don't think they will not look rite on me.:nono:

Lakshmi S

I just don't have the desire for it. but i have seen some women and whoever did their hair are angels. i've seen some nice wigs also. but i don't think they will not look rite on me.:nono:

Diya

I've never worn fake hair and it's my personal preference to walk around with good looking hair that is my own. I'm not mad at other people, though, if they decide that fake hair is a good choice for them... to each her own. :rolleyes:

tinkat

I wore full head sewins to help transtion and it is a great tool...But I have learned that it is impt to give your hair great. Like someone said, weave is very addictive...that is why i wore if for so long, lol. But i loved it when i wore it.

cmw45

I've only wore braid extensions, but for some reason I can't wear it as a weave, like I will never do it.

I've worn braid extensions before but I have never been able to wear a weave...I don't know why...essentially they are the same thing...I guess with one I just kind of expect everyone to think it's not my hair and the other, I feel like I'm trying to fool people into believing it's mine. :ohwell:

Extremus

Me too. I'd love to for variety but I always hate to look "typical" and somehow I feel a weave would do just that.

ETA: I like the idea of the falls but I just can't bring myself to try one. Plus ppl look at you CRAZY when you take down your hair at the BSS and your MBL

This is exactly how I feel! I can't get individuals either, they're so common around here [so are the weaves]. So I do cornrows, I only see about 5 ppl rockin cornrows.

Extremus

I've worn braid extensions before but I have never been able to wear a weave...I don't know why...essentially they are the same thing...I guess with one I just kind of expect everyone to think it's not my hair and the other, I feel like I'm trying to fool people into believing it's mine. :ohwell:

Yea, me 2!

cmw45

This is exactly how I feel! I can't get individuals either, they're so common around here [so are the weaves]. So I do cornrows, I only see about 5 ppl rockin cornrows.

I was going to say I found this highly suprising...but then I noticed that you're in LA. On the East Coast everyone and their mother's brother's dog fu fu has cornrows.

Nola Darling

I used to wear micros back in high school but I'd never do that again because it's so expensive and takes WAY too long to take out. Another thing, I just don't think micros are in style anymore.

I want to get a wig for nightlife though!!! A short sassy wig!

HoneyDew

I feel the same way.

It was always easier for me to wear braids than a weave.

For the very same reason you listed.

Ms Red

This is how I voted:

Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Now 'all the time' is stretching it. I used to wear weaves all the time but did not know how to take care of my own hair. That led to disaster!!!!!!!!

I've never had braids and the last time I got a sew in weave was 2 years ago. But would I wear fake hair again? Heck yes. It changes your look, your attitude, your swagger. :rolleyes: I might feel like a virginal 1b one day or a :badgirl: 4 with blonde highlights the next day. :rolleyes:

All of the agony over cutting, dying, relaxing... is gone with a WELL DONE weave or extensions and my own hair is great as long as I MAINTAIN IT! I take long breaks in between now (anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years :shocked: ) because now I know better than to put back-to-back weaves in. I love taking care of my own hair too :)

If fake hair is not for you, then so be it. But I would never look down on those of us who enjoy it from time to time and still reach our own healthy hair goals. :)

trini_rican

This is how I voted:

Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Now 'all the time' is stretching it. I used to wear weaves all the time but did not know how to take care of my own hair. That led to disaster!!!!!!!!

I've never had braids and the last time I got a sew in weave was 2 years ago. But would I wear fake hair again? Heck yes. It changes your look, your attitude, your swagger. :rolleyes: I might feel like a virginal 1b one day or a :badgirl: 4 with blonde highlights the next day. :rolleyes:

All of the agony over cutting, dying, relaxing... is gone with a WELL DONE weave or extensions and my own hair is great as long as I MAINTAIN IT! I take long breaks in between now (anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years :shocked: ) because now I know better than to put back-to-back weaves in. I love taking care of my own hair too :)

If fake hair is not for you, then so be it. But I would never look down on those of us who enjoy it from time to time and still reach our own healthy hair goals. :)

Very well put, I concur:yep:

atlien11

Weave can be like a crack habit. I know some who have put it in and i havent seen there hair since :locks:

indigodiva

I voted - Nervous at first, but no big deal now

I just started wearing wigs and I LOVE IT! I'm natural, but now I can wear long straight hair without long hours of flat ironing, and my hair stays cornrowed underneath:grin:. Its a fun way to get used my future hair goal now..like Kimora said "Fake it, til you make it" :)

i just put new pics in my fotki --the album is "long hair, don't care!"
www.fotki.com/indigodiva

pw:indigodiva

curlycraze

If I could find a fake phony that I like to put "all" my hair in on minimal days, I would. But for the most part, I like to feel my real hair.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I didn't vote because none of the answers pertain to me. I have worn fake hair before, but I don't see myself wearing any in the future. However, I'm not against wearing it in general.

My fake hair experience was positive for the most part. I've worn weaves, braids and wigs to get a different look and I liked it. But now I want to be able to create these styles with my own hair :grin:

shynessqueen

My hair is very, very healthy and I love me some braids. I have been wearing and doing braids for over 10 years. It's not a big thing. I want to get a weave for the hell of it but my SO is not trying to hear it.

RainbowCurls

I probably won't ever wear loose fake hair, unless it's for fancy dress or something. Just feels icky to me.

I've done synthetic hair in braids though, and there's a possibility I might again.

pazyamor

I've worn braids before, and I'm currently putting in my own kinky twists (for the first time!)...but a loose weave? I can't do it, I'll look silly:blush:

Ivonnovi

I wanted to say "I" never have worn or will wear a weave....then I remembered....and had a moment of clarity.

I have to admit being one of those women who think of weave and extensions as being in the same category (...aka fake hair):wallbash:

I do not like weaves, I confess that I have added a "touch" for fullness (20yrs ago) and more recently have been known toad a streak or two for color on occassion. I will wear braids with extensions to give my hair a break. But by no means so I try to pass the hair off as "mine".