Feeling frustrated with shrinkage and wondering whether to relax again or not...

Hi, some of you may remember me from last year when I used to post for a bit before deciding to end my subscription. I said I would only return once I reached APL... which I did :D. Sorry I have no pics of mine to show right now, but maybe in the near future ;). But now I'm back I have a bit of a dilemma of mine that I'd like to share with you:

The good news is, my hair is actually growing long, and I noticed recently when I stretched some hairs at the back and they reach down by my armpit! :) Just the first goal length I wanted.

The bad news is, the shrinkage is really bothering me. My natural texture fully shrunken looks similar to this (picture isn't me).

I'm a bit bothered by it because I don't really feel like my afro looks that great on me tbh (not like hers does anyway, hers is pretty). I try to style it to look like a great afro style, but it just looks weird or messy and I end up always putting it into tied back styles like ponytails and buns. I'm always having to constantly stretch it out in braids and twists, and this takes so much effort and time, and even then it doesn't nearly reach my total stretched length. It'd probably be a very long time, if ever, before my shrunken hair ever looks properly long, and I dunno if I can deal with that.

I mean, look at this lady's hair. Hers is much longer than mine stretched, but the shrinkage is immense :shocked:

I'm debating whether to relax it again or not, since I quite miss having straight hair and I much prefer the look of long hair on myself. I only went natural just to try it, and I find it OK but there's all the downsides I've listed. I've tried flat ironing a few times but I'm not very good at it and it also takes an awful lot of time and effort. So relaxed hair would probably be easier overall. Though, I just wouldn't want to regret it, since going from natural to relaxed is much easier and quicker than going from relaxed back to natural (if I want a decent hair length and not a teeny weeny afro).

I'm probably gonna get a weave installed soon just so I can hide my hair and hold off my decision a little longer. I'll see how things go :look:

But yeah, I'm just wondering if any can relate and what sort of tips and solutions would you suggest?

Last edited:

Nubenap22

Why don't you get it bkt'd for a while.

And while washing, why not wash in braids and when your done rebraid those with your leave in and air dry that way that way you can have stretched clean hair

Evolving78

i really wasn't feeling the shrinkage either an on a whim, i decided to relax my hair. i have no regrets. it has been much easier for me to take care of my hair. i have decided to protective style my hair for awhile to get me to my goal length.

i tried stretching my hair, but i just wasn't showing enough length for me.

but maybe you can hide your hair for awhile to decide what is best for you? you can always try stretching/banding your hair to show more length.

candy626

Maybe consider texlaxing. I am unintentionally texlaxed. Even when having my hair professionally relaxed my hair is still 3c/4a just slightly looser then it's original texture. What I get from it is that my hair is smoother and more manageable, and straightens easier. But I am also able to wear it curly which I like. With texlaxing you have the flexibility of wearing straight hair with less effort and curly hair with less tangles and shrinkage.

But it could be that natural hairstyle may not flatter your overall personal style. There's nothing wrong with that. For a long time I felt this way and sometimes I still do. With some looks/outfits I like straight hair and other looks/outfits I like curly hair. Idk though, I like changing up my style and am not just into hair but my overall appearance.

I say do whatever fits your typical personal everyday style and the amount of time you want to spend on your hair.

Why don't you get it bkt'd for a while.

I've considered the BKT in the past, but after reading all these horror stories about how it's dangerous because apparently it's fully of highly carcinogenic chemicals, I'm not too sure about it :ohwell:

And while washing, why not wash in braids and when your done rebraid those with your leave in and air dry that way that way you can have stretched clean hair

Does washing in braids clean all the individual hairs properly enough though?

mscurly

I feel your pain, my hair looks exactly like that Reniece pic in fotki. When wet curly and shrunk my hair is barely touching my shoulders. But when straight is bsl to mbl

I would love to show off some length in its curly state but I'm begining to see that for some shrinkage will always be a problem unless your like tailbone or floor length.

You could just blow dry or flat iron your hair instead of relaxing.

Thats what I do when I start to miss my length, I get a domincan blowout to get my long hair back.

But for many reasons relaxing just isnt an option for me.

*C00KIE*

I understand, where you are coming from. When I first joined the forum, I was here because I wanted LONG hair and the purpose of having this long hair (for me) was to show length. Three years, later, I have been through 1 relaxer, 2 BCs and is currently APL and is considering relaxing again, only, because I want to show my length... *sighs*

I feel your pain, my hair looks exactly like that Reniece pic in fotki. When wet curly and shrunk my hair is barely touching my shoulders. But when straight is bsl to mbl

I would love to show off some length in its curly state but I'm begining to see that for some shrinkage will always be a problem unless your like tailbone or floor length.

You could just blow dry or flat iron your hair instead of relaxing.

Thats what I do when I start to miss my length, I get a domincan blowout to get my long hair back.

But for many reasons relaxing just isnt an option for me.

Oh gosh, I've tried that quite a few times but I'm so awful at flatironing my hair. It just never comes out right or properly straight. I'm not sure if it's just my technique or my tools or what. I guess I will just have to keep practising and reviewing what I'm doing in regards to heat straightening.