Fine textured hair does not equal long hair???

Kaela

Hi Ladies

I was wondering...is it truly possible to achieve 'down-to-there' hair, if your natural/relaxed texture is relatively fine? Usually when you hear about someone have really long hair, there is also the description of "thick". I've never heard of anyone (of any ethnicity for that matter) that had impressively long hair, that was relatively fine in texture. (Not saying that it doesn't exist, I've just never known of anyone).
What I do hear about is women that have fine textured long hair, but it is described as "stringy"...which also is interpreted as "unhealthy". I know you can take pantothenic acid to thicken strands, but what if your hair is just naturally not oprah thick?? Can it be long, like waist length?

Anyone have thoughts on this??
Thanks ladies

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Cher and Mya Campbell of "In the House" both have what I call fine hair and their's is/was long... The Mowry twins, too.

Boadicea

My mother's hair is very finely textured and she grew it past her waist several times (had one too many bad hair cuts). Her hair is type 1.

NAY007

i think it depends on how much hair you have. cause you can have fine textured hair but a lot of it, so to people it might look thick but it's just a whole lot of hair.
or you can have fine hair and not that much, and you are right, i don't see a lot of people you have this type and it's down to their waist....don't know why, maybe it's just too fragile and it breaks.

Allandra

I know a few ladies with fine textured hair who select to keep it at shoulder length because it makes it look fuller.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
NAY007 said:
i think it depends on how much hair you have. cause you can have fine textured hair but a lot of it, so to people it might look thick but it's just a whole lot of hair.
or you can have fine hair and not that much, and you are right, i don't see a lot of people you have this type and it's down to their waist....don't know why, maybe it's just too fragile and it breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have fine hair...but I've been told many times my hair is deceiving, that there's alot of it so when I get it braided it ends up taking a lot longer. I'm hoping I can grow bra strap without it looking thin... In the past it seemed as long as I didn't get layers it wouldn't look thin as it grew, so I'm hoping it will be the same this time.

Jade21

Kaela,

I think Nay and Sweetcocoa's distinction is what makes the difference. A lot of people group "fine" and "thin" together. There are a lot of people with fine hair which is thick and plentiful.

I think what you might be suggesting and Allandra indicated is almost an aesthetics concern...often thin, fine hair which is long does not look as good if the hair were thick or more plentiful, so perhaps a longer hairstyle is not a desired option. I do agree with you that if hair is fine and thin, extra care is warranted.

My mom's hair was "ultra-fine" and stick-straight, but extremely thick. Her hair was very durable, grew extremely fast and when I saw her hair in a pic at waist-length was blown away....utterly gorgeous.

~Jade~

beana3

My hair is fine and kind of thin (IMO) many people tell me , "you have lots of hair" or "you got some thick hair girl" but its all an illusion. I do braid outs for thickness, i also use products which contain panthenol, because to my understanding its the only vitamin that is actually absorbed by the hair.
My hair is around collarbone and does not look as "long" as someone else's who has thick hair and collarbone length
My hair grows in at a good rate, but as jade pointed out its my personal preference to have "thick looking" hair over longer and thinner looking hair.
Another thing is, for ME its a sign of bad hair health. My hair has been below collarbone length before and it was very thick looking, but fine stranded. I used to have more hair strands i guess
I'm sure that immense stress, bad hair practices, and BC pills all played a significant role in my hair thinning. I'm on a journey to regain my "thickness"

G

I have FINE hair, but my hair can go from thick to thin depending on how I dry my hair.

Armyqt

emgurl said:
I have FINE hair, but my hair can go from thick to thin depending on how I dry my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emgurl, I second that. I find that rollersets tend to make my hair look thinner than if I airdry or blowdry. I have fine hair, but I have a lot of strands. I hope that it doesn't start to appear thinner as it gets longer.

Kaela

This is all really interesting...I guess I assumed that women that had thick hair automatically meant that they had thick strands for it to get really long. I was wondering if the tensile strength of a thin strand would be less...but I guess not!
My hair is naturally fine, and it seems thinner than it used to be. Like Emgurl/Armyqt, the thickness of my hair looks very different if I roller set versus air dry....

Beana, I was wondering about the BC pills, and I actually think my hair is slightly thinner than it used to be (before taking those). Does anyone know why this happens to some women? My mother said that BC pills deplete b-vitamins from your body...maybe thats why when some women up their b-vitamin intake, their hair is thicker...maybe its returning to its original thickness??

beana3

Kaela, I definetely take my supplements to make up for the BCpills. What your mom said is probably 100% true and i dont doubt it!

Jade21

Kaela,

My mother said that BC pills deplete b-vitamins from your body...maybe thats why when some women up their b-vitamin intake, their hair is thicker...maybe its returning to its original thickness??

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mom is absolutely correct
It's Bs in general, and sometimes women on the pill can be nutrient-deprived in relation to B-6 and B-12 in particular. Both are important for hair growth and condition. The lack of B-12 can be a double whammy because it is involved in the uptake of iron.

Another thing to consider is the entire picture in terms of the BC pills. Add an above-average amount of stress and say not so hot eating habits and it's like your Bs can get so low so fast.

~Jade~

Kaela

Thanks for the info Jade! Mother (they are so wise, aren't they) had told me about B-6, but I didn't know as much about B-12. I do know that a B-6 deficiency makes you feel lethargic. And not having enough iron can trigger symptoms like anemia, correct (problems w/ the blood carrying enough oxygen = more tiredness)? Gosh, its almost like you HAVE to take a B-supplement, or at least a solid multi, just to stay balanced and active, let alone grow out your hair!!

Integrity

[ QUOTE ]
My mother's hair is very finely textured and she grew it past her waist several times (had one too many bad hair cuts). Her hair is type 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

type 1!
no curl pattern AT ALL? is your mother AA?

leejure

My hair is very fine as well. But like someone mentioned, I have a lot of "strands/hair", so it takes a long time and a lot of hair when I get it braided. You can especially tell it's fine-ness when it is pressed and after a little grease has been added
The only time my hair looks really thick and full is when I wear it curly w/o oil. Then it looks like I have thick hair - but it is all so deceiving.

-lee

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
The only time my hair looks really thick and full is when I wear it curly w/o oil. Then it looks like I have thick hair - but it is all so deceiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. I've been deceiving a LOT of people lately.