Finger placement when doing cornrows?

Well, halelujiah, I'm getting better at doing cornrows, at least to the point where I can now do a sloppy one. But now, my problem is finger placement. I think my cornrows are sloppy b/c I'm not putting my fingers in the right place, and also I'm leaving stray hairs or the hair sometimes becomes tangled and confused b/c I'm not sure how I should be holding it in my hands, so would someone mind taking me through a cornrow from the aspect of finger placement, from beginning to the end, please? TIA.

I know but it's hard to describe. Your fingers should be as close to the scalp as possible. It's better to stand in front of a mirror at first so you can see that you are grabbing all the hairs you need to. As your index finger grabs new hair to go into the row, then you pull your fingers all the way through to lessen tangling. You do this with each pass of a finger. Hope this makes sense.

um lets see the "key" fingers are the thumb,index and middle, of both hands. when starting the braid I use the middle and index to hold down the hair and then begin to weave the pattern using my thumbs to help gather sections of hair as i go along. HTH practice always makes perfect

crlsweetie912 said:
I know but it's hard to describe. Your fingers should be as close to the scalp as possible. It's better to stand in front of a mirror at first so you can see that you are grabbing all the hairs you need to. As your index finger grabs new hair to go into the row, then you pull your fingers all the way through to lessen tangling. You do this with each pass of a finger. Hope this makes sense.

Ahhh, "pulling fingers all the way though to lessen tangling" I get it. That was one of my problems--the tangling. I'm going to try that tonight.

tyte curlz said:
um lets see the "key" fingers are the thumb,index and middle, of both hands. when starting the braid I use the middle and index to hold down the hair and then begin to weave the pattern using my thumbs to help gather sections of hair as i go along. HTH practice always makes perfect

How do you gather hair w/the thumb? Do you grab it underneath the braid? And how do you decide how much hair to grab to make the row look uniform and neat?

anatomicallycorrect said:
Ahhh, "pulling fingers all the way though to lessen tangling" I get it. That was one of my problems--the tangling. I'm going to try that tonight.
Now that i have been doing "rows" for awhile, I can go 2-3 passes without pulling all the way through, but it takes a lot of practice! It takes time to get them done well. I tried this weekend and I thought they all looked messed up and took it all out. My sis was like "they look good to me!"

I'm looking at this youtube video on how to French braid and I just realized something. So, the MIDDLE STRAND is always the strand that gets the hair added to it, right? So whichever strand is in the middle at that time will get the hair added to it....Okay, learning.....

Back