First homemade wig with Halley's Curls Gentle Wave Relaxed and silk closure (pics)

sheba1

Man, that title is a mouthful! First time I actually ran out of space!! I've been wanting to make a wig for a long long time. I bought all the supplies months ago but got side tracked. Finally came back to it and did it on a whim this morning!

Pics are below. I used Halley's Curls Gentle Wave relaxed hybrid with a large silk closure. The closure can be parted any direction and I dyed the silk to better match my complexion.

Once you've looked your fill, please tell me what to do with it!! I love it and I love the hair but not sure how I want it styled or where I should go. I was thinking of going to a local super cuts and telling them to just throw in some long layers for me. What do you ladies think?

In that last pic I was trying to show that you can part it any which direction. No hair has been left out and I am kicking myself that I can't find my digital cam. These pics do it no justice, at all, as the hair is BEAUTIFULLLL!! Sigh.. oh well. Maybe after I get it styled I will have found my cam. I'm in the middle of a move, y'all so it is amazing that I was able to gather all the tools I needed to make this bad boy this morning. I :love: it! It feels great on my head since it was custom made and the hair is very nice.

TCatt86

Re: First homemade wig with Halley's Curls Gentle Wave Relaxed and silk closure (pics

looks pretty!!!!!!! you did a good job.

Keen

Re: First homemade wig with Halley's Curls Gentle Wave Relaxed and silk closure (pics

Wow, looks good. Is it a full wig or did you have to leave some hair out around your edges?

sheba1

Thank you ladies! I'm so proud!! It is a full wig, no hair left out, at all. the silk piece has a little lace front action happening in the front but I didn't bother to glue it down. I may sew in a couple of tiny wig clips for that later. Doesn't lift unless I pull on it, though, so I may not bother.

nc cutie

Great Job! You might need to make me one.lol!

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!

I love that hair! If I wasnt so darn cheap I'd order some for a sew in. You did a great job on that wig.

aegis

you want to add wig clips to the front? i don't know if that's a good idea. you essentially just made a (kinda) lace wig. which looks awesome btw!

sheba1

you want to add wig clips to the front? i don't know if that's a good idea. you essentially just made a (kinda) lace wig. which looks awesome btw!

It's kind of weird the way I'm thinking of adding them. Where I'd add them they would clip on the front of the wig cap but not into my hair. The lace hangs over the lip of the cap and this would allow it to stay down and close to my forehead.

The wig cap I sewed the hair onto had a clip built into it that would have disrupted my hair so I removed it.

Rain20

Looks great but if you want layers that would look nice as well.

Once you use the lace frontal, where do you start your first track so you cant tell where the frontal is located?
I would really like to try to make one myself, but I am a little clueless about positioning of the lace frontal and I really dont want a half wig.

sheba1

I love that hair! If I wasnt so darn cheap I'd order some for a sew in. You did a great job on that wig.

Thanks, JayAnn! I caught em on sale this time and, if I hadn't bought too much hair, I would have come out paying the same as the remy BSS hair. I only needed 4oz of 14 inch and a large closure. And, even that is too much. I'm thinking about removing a couple of tracks before I go to get it styled.

Oh, and you can definitely reuse this hair. You know how BSS hair doesn't usually start to act a fool til after you wash it? Well with this hair, you wash it right out of the bag, before install. And the quality is really up there. It just feels like slightly coarse really healthy relaxed hair. If kept up with DCs, reconstructing, etc this hair will last at least a year of installs. So I say go for it! You actually end up saving money and getting the hair you want if you reuse.

sheba1

Looks great but if you want layers that would look nice as well.

Once you use the lace frontal, where do you start your first track so you cant tell where the frontal is located?
I would really like to try to make one myself, but I am a little clueless about positioning of the lace frontal and I really dont want a half wig.

Thank you, Rain. I use this youtube vid as a guide but I would sew it onto a wig cap.

I had never ever ever done this before and it was so easy!! It took only a couple hours and the whole time I had friends on speaker phone and chatting away. I plastic bag on my head under the wig cap and used a low temp glue gun to place the tracks. I it was easy enough to remove and replace if needed. Then I took it off and sewed each track down. For the frontal I stitched from the inside. It really was easy as pie. I used the tutorial by Omega7373 as a guide. I made certain changes as I did not want to use a manican head.

Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwKcciDF_g
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-PrbX6dio&feature=related

Rain20

Thanks for the link. I have a really small head. I could probably make my on the mannequin.

Barbie83

girl how did u make that??? fill us in! tutorial please :grin:

Barbie83

^^^^never mind......just saw ur last post! lol

Leesh

Thank you, Rain. I use this youtube vid as a guide but I would sew it onto a wig cap.

I had never ever ever done this before and it was so easy!! It took only a couple hours and the whole time I had friends on speaker phone and chatting away. I plastic bag on my head under the wig cap and used a low temp glue gun to place the tracks. I it was easy enough to remove and replace if needed. Then I took it off and sewed each track down. For the frontal I stitched from the inside. It really was easy as pie. I used the tutorial by Omega7373 as a guide. I made certain changes as I did not want to use a manican head.

Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwKcciDF_g
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-PrbX6dio&feature=related

Since You did not use a Foam Head, did You sew it on while it was on Your Head? also what type of cap did you use?

sheba1

Since You did not use a Foam Head, did You sew it on while it was on Your Head? also what type of cap did you use?

I glued all the tracks into place with the low temp glue gun (and plastic bag underneath the wig cap). That gun is cheap too. You can get it at wal mart for 3 bucks in the craft section. Then I pulled the bag out and stitched the tracks in place. They weren't firmly in place with the glue, but just enough for me to stitch them in without worry that they were in the wrong position. I tried the cap on throughout stitching to make sure it remained comfortable.

I bought my cap at the local BSS and it looked something like the pic below. I don't think I paid the $6 I've seen them cost online, though. I think mine was around $2 or $3.

Link to purchase the wig cap for $6 http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4456188

carolb21

Sheba1, you are a phenomenal women!!!!!
First you share all your knowledge with the BKT and now this fabulous wig. You go girl.........:grin:

sheba1

Sheba1, you are a phenomenal women!!!!!
First you share all your knowledge with the BKT and now this fabulous wig. You go girl.........:grin:

Awww I'm blushing :blush3:. Thank you, CarolB! :)

Leesh

I glued all the tracks into place with the low temp glue gun (and plastic bag underneath the wig cap). That gun is cheap too. You can get it at wal mart for 3 bucks in the craft section. Then I pulled the bag out and stitched the tracks in place. They weren't firmly in place with the glue, but just enough for me to stitch them in without worry that they were in the wrong position. I tried the cap on throughout stitching to make sure it remained comfortable.

I bought my cap at the local BSS and it looked something like the pic below. I don't think I paid the $6 I've seen them cost online, though. I think mine was around $2 or $3.

Link to purchase the wig cap for $6 http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4456188

That is so creative, that made it so much easier, then having Your arms in the air the entire time, You can just sit there and take Your time sewing, thats Great! I can't Thank You enough!

Thann

Your really have skills.

I'm impressed with how well the hair straightens. How did the waves recover after you washed?

sheba1

Your really have skills.

I'm impressed with how well the hair straightens. How did the waves recover after you washed?

Thank you, Thann! The waves came back fine. I highly recommend that hair.

Vintageglam

yeah like you need this wig anymore..... *tuts and walks away whilst side-eye envying that sheba's beautiful head of hair*

" just let your soul glo girl..."

yardyspice

Your wig is gorgeous! Where did you get the closure?

Stella B.

Pretty...looks great!!! Make me one too!!:grin:

sheba1

yeah like you need this wig anymore..... *tuts and walks away whilst side-eye envying that sheba's beautiful head of hair*

" just let your soul glo girl..."

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Stellagirl, you got me cheesin harder than a mouse in a cheese factory :grin: :lol:

Your wig is gorgeous! Where did you get the closure?

Thank you, Yardyspice! I got the hair and the silk closure at Halleys Curls web site here. They often have great sales and their hair is really nice. I purchased the large silk closure to match the Gentle Wave Relaxed Hybrid

Pretty...looks great!!! Make me one too!!:grin:

Sure I will, Stella, but it was soooo easy! This was my very first one. I promise, it was a snap. I did the whole thing on a lazy Saturday morning while talking on the phone. :lol:

danigurl18

Lovely!!! It looks so natural!

Jetblackhair

Your wig came out great Sheba! I'd like to try this but I'm so lazy. Does the wig ever feel like it's moving on year head?
For some reason I picture my made wig moving backwards on my head and me having to constantly pull it forward.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

Wow you made a full wig! Its beautiful! you got some skills :yep: