POLL: FLAT IRONING DAMP HAIR

Would you (have you) tried flat ironing on damp hair?

• NEVER!

Votes: 67 62.0%
  • I need more convincing that its not more damaging than a "dry iron"

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • never tried it, but I'd like to

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I do it regularly

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

djanae

FLAT IRONING DAMP HAIR

Hello ladies!

Okay, I've checked out quite a few threads on here about this, but I don't think there's a poll yet sooo...

Do you think (or know from experience) that flat ironing DAMP (not soaking wet) hair is a viable way to straighten, and possibly get sleeker results? I've read a few things about the steam "effect" being both a good and bad thing, so I wanted to put the poll out there!

I've always been scurrred to try it, and I'm debating whether its worth a go.

Pros: i'm thinking that cutting the blow drying out (my hair takes TOO long to completely air dry) would give me less manipulation and direct heat. Plus, with a pretty good heat protectant...this could do the trick??

Cons: the simple thought of sizzling/ fried hair

What's your take?

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

Not something I would do regularly but it is a good way to get more moisturized hair and sleeker, shiner finish. I've done it and love the results. My hair felt better than when I did my normal dry flat iron.

Prudent1

I'm curious too :yep:. I haven't tried this myself for the same reason. I've seen those products advertised that straighten and dry at the same time. I don't know about that. I hope you get some good responses from the ladies here. I would like to know if this method has worked for anyone here.

djanae

Not something I would do regularly but it is a good way to get more moisturized hair and sleeker, shiner finish. I've done it and love the results. My hair felt better than when I did my normal dry flat iron.

How often do you usually do it?

I'm still transitioning so I really only straighten to do length checks (especially since its summer). Even in the fall/winter, I'd say I straighten once every month (or two months).

I just got a sedu though, so I'm hoping to kick my straightening game up a notch...when I do decide to flat iron.

Taina

I tried once in just a portion of my hair, but the smell scary me, so i leave it. I had long hair back then

I did it reguarly up to abour 10 weeks ago. I decided to go on a personal air-drying challenge but I loved the results. My hair has so much swang to it, retain a good level of moisture. It came out better for me instead of drying flat ironing. Best suggestion, make sure hair is really just damp. Use good heat protection and your results should be fine!! Goodluck.

lilsparkle825

is there another option? i don't do it all the time but i do it on occasion. as long as my hair is not soaking WET it comes out shiny and moisturized. i never have any issues with reversion.

ThePerfectScore

I've done it on damp hair since I've used a maxi glide and the steam feature is nothing but water anyway! But my hair wasnt dripping, it was just wet... and I've only used my maxiglide like 4 times this year b/c A) I hate heat and B) I hate my maxiglide... I want a CHI or FHI or Sedu or something new! haha BUT I spent so much money on my maxiglide listening to LHCF.... :rolleyes:

BeautifulFlower

How often do you usually do it?

I'm still transitioning so I really only straighten to do length checks (especially since its summer). Even in the fall/winter, I'd say I straighten once every month (or two months).

I just got a sedu though, so I'm hoping to kick my straightening game up a notch...when I do decide to flat iron.

I've done it once this year. I only flat iron about 4 times a year. I flat ironned 2 times this year so far. I have a sedu too.

hothair

I voted no. I've done it and haven't seen a masive difference I think other techniques like Pinkskates stretching and blowdry on a cool setting, and using a straightening brush has given better results, I get a bit nervous thinking of hot bubbles cooking my hair shaft (may not be the case but I always get a clear pic in my head:rolleyes:)

beans4reezy

I voted never. My hair is really fine and is so weak when wet, I can see that flat iron cutting right through my damp and fine hair strands.

dlewis

I tried it after reading that Iris and I believe Poka had such great results with it. It was a mess for me.

djanae

Thanks ladies, for all the responses!

It's looking like I might try a small section of hair to see what this is all about.

Maybe with some sabino moisture block, since its prob my best protectant.

djanae

is there another option? i don't do it all the time but i do it on occasion. as long as my hair is not soaking WET it comes out shiny and moisturized. i never have any issues with reversion.

Yea, I was looking at that too.

ETA: Anybody know how to edit poll options?

Last edited:

shtow

I did and my hair looked great and felt very moisturized....for about 5 hours. Then it was breakage city for the rest of the week! I mean, horrible I-can-hear-my-hair-constantly-breaking breakage. The only thing that corrected this was me mixing the aphogee 2 min with 2 whole eggs and DCing with heat for I think 30 mins.

dlewis

Nah girl, not me, lol. I'm too scared!

Iris does it with great results though.

I couldn't remember.:drunk:

I did and my hair looked great and felt very moisturized....for about 5 hours. Then it was breakage city for the rest of the week! I mean, horrible I-can-hear-my-hair-constantly-breaking breakage. The only thing that corrected this was me mixing the aphogee 2 min with 2 whole eggs and DCing with heat for I think 30 mins.

I love your siggy. LOVE IT.

poookie

When I flat iron on damp hair, my hair feels more moisturized and soft afterwards. However, I can't get all the way to the root, because of the steam. if i get too close to the scalp on damp hair, i'll burn myself. if i'm just ironing to curl, i'll do it on damp hair when i have less new growth. otherwise, i like waiting for my hair to fully air dry

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I would NEVER do that again. I did it years ago on the regular with slightly damp hair and stupid me ignored the pops, sizzles and scalp burns and thought nothing of it because I was using a heat protector spray. I was enjoying my bouncy, soft and shiny hair thinking I was too cute. Then months later my hair looked like somebody chopped it off with a chainsaw.

I was using a Sedu and I didn't realize that the informercials for the other irons were advertising how it can be done on wet hair but it depends on what iron you have. Apparently it can't be done with a Sedu.

So that's why I'll never do that again :nono:

I'm even STILL afraid to use a heat protector on dry hair that makes my hair feel too wet.

Last edited:

djanae

THANKS @ Hairsnob!

I'm starting to think this isnt really worth it. lol
Probably should just follow my gut instinct. I loves my sedu, and if my technique aint broke - i prob shouldn't try to fix it!

djanae

whoa. :sad: sorry to hear that.
see, this seems to be very hit and miss - (and from the looks of the polls- mostly a MISS). The possibility of serious breakage = me hooking up the ole' blowdryer again...

UGQueen

i voted never, but i have tried it the reason why i voted never is because i would NEVER recommend it..

heyfranz

I believe Iris uses a "wet to dry" flat iron. Are you guys using that or a regular flat iron? I was thinking of buying a "wet to dry" iron.

aquajoyice

Re: FLAT IRONING DAMP HAIR

I used to do it all the time and the results are very bouncy, shiny and easy to straighten results. I've even compared the results to totally dried hair and my results were on the dry and brittle side. The next time I texlax i'll do it and post results.

NerdSauce

I tried it once but I guess my hair was a little more damp than I thought it was... because I got bubble hair.

Yeah, not cool.

Those spots have mostly grown out though.. but retention has definitely been an issue since in a way that it wasn't before.

djanae

Re: FLAT IRONING DAMP HAIR

I used to do it all the time and the results are very bouncy, shiny and easy to straighten results. I've even compared the results to totally dried hair and my results were on the dry and brittle side. The next time I texlax i'll do it and post results.

thanks, I'm sure plenty of ladies (esp me) would love to see some comparisons...and some explanation of what you do to protect your hair during the whole process - if anything different.