Does anyone use serums BEFORE flat ironing?

soslychic

I'm not sure how to use the serum I purchased. Should I try distributing it on dry hair before flat ironing, on wet hair while it dries, or after flat ironing to add a finishing shine? How do you use yours and what brand do you use?

Allandra

soslychic said:
I'm not sure how to use the serum I purchased. Should I try distributing it on dry hair before flat ironing, on wet hair while it dries, or after flat ironing to add a finishing shine? How do you use yours and what brand do you use?
Which serum did you purchase?

PrettyBrownEyes

I apply mine to wet/damp hair, it works much better actually this is the only way my hair responds to it.

I have:

1. Redken Heat Glide (my favorite)
2. Keracare Silken Seal
3. Joico KPak Serum (smells sooo good)

PinkAngel

I apply my serum while my hair is wet. Then I apply a heat protectant to each section before flat ironing.

HoneyDew

I "make" my own serum, but I put it on my hair while it is wet. Then I blowdry and flatiron. I never reapply anything else between blowdrying and flatironing.

Sometimes I reapply a little more on dry hair after a few days for moisture.

myco

I apply to wet hair before styling:rollersetting, airdrying, flatiron or blowdryer. I get more shine and smoothness with body that way. After my hair is dry, everything ways it down.

soslychic

msshic said:
I apply my serum while my hair is wet. Then I apply a heat protectant to each section before flat ironing.

what kind of heat protectant do you use?
I'm trying to avoid the burnt hair smell that I keep experiencing when flat ironing and I was thinking that not applying any product right before flatironing might help if I've already applied products such as serums while wet. But I was worried about not using a heat protectant right before flat ironing. I currently have beyond the zone turn up the heat spray.
I wonder if it would have the same results if I applied it while my hair was wet as well ...hmm....

PinkAngel

That's exactly what I use, BTZ Turn up the Heat or Keracare Silken Seal (which I also love)

I've also used Ion's Heat Protectant (Sally's), it was also pretty good.

ETA: Silken Seal can be used while your hair is damp/wet, that way you can flat iron w/o applying anything else. Just make sure you distribute it as much as poosible to get all the hairs.