For ladies who want the big kinky hair look now, check this out

Here is a youtube video I found that I figured I'd share with you ladies. She uses afro kinky synthetic hair (I think the same kind used for kinky twists) for treebraids. I'm thinking it might be possible to use this same type of hair with crochet braids, and I think crochet braids might look better than the treebraids. This look gives you big, very natural looking hair that you can braid or twist up and set with hot water. She said she had issues doing so because the hair was heat resistant, but I'm sure there are brands that will work a little better..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V24OzquRIg

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search and it didn't come up. What do you ladies think?

yasluvsme

::Off to watch vid::

I like the idea! I just don't know how durable the hair would be. I think if you get hair from the bss that it will matt easily.. Would probably be a good idea to get higher quality kinky hair.

ETA: I agree that crochet braid would probably be really pretty. I generally don't like straight to the back crochet/ tree braids. Thanks for the link!

Last edited:

nubiennze

:scratchch I dunno...I've tried crochet braids with that hair in an attempt to create the big kinky look and it was :nono:...IME the hair just tangles and knots. I'm not under the impression that hair (or any synthetic braiding hair, really) is meant to stay loose for an extended period of time. I've broken down and ordered some BoBraz to simulate the afro kinky look for the time being...maybe the crochet braids are worth another attempt (with better quality hair, as mentioned) just to give my scalp a break from the sew-ins, but I'm skeptical...

She did a good job braiding in the vid though...it just looked exactly like mine did when I tried to twist it and set it with hot water... :perplexed I wonder how long it lasted...

shenitab

I haven't watched the video but maybe if you use a good quality synthetic like eon or hair from the naffy collection it might work. I used naffy collection (i think) to kinky twist both of my girl's hair and it looks fabulous and has been durable so far. I twisted almost to the ends. Those were the first and only times I have done kinky twists so I am a novice. They have been getting lots of complements and I am jealous. :ohwell: Will probably end up doing mine as well-- when I can find the time. It looks very natural.

:scratchch I dunno...I've tried crochet braids with that hair in an attempt to create the big kinky look and it was :nono:...IME the hair just tangles and knots. I'm not under the impression that hair (or any synthetic braiding hair, really) is meant to stay loose for an extended period of time. I've broken down and ordered some BoBraz to simulate the afro kinky look for the time being...maybe the crochet braids are worth another attempt (with better quality hair, as mentioned) just to give my scalp a break from the sew-ins, but I'm skeptical...

She did a good job braiding in the vid though...it just looked exactly like mine did when I tried to twist it and set it with hot water... :perplexed I wonder how long it lasted...

You do have a point! There is a lady on another board who says she uses kanekalon hair loose successfully in invisible micro braids, but I think she uses products on it.

Here is a section from her fotki, she has other styles on there as well.
http://public.fotki.com/Phea/2007-hair/braids-1/micros-with-the-bij/

Here is a thread where she outlines how to care for kanekalon hair worn loose. Hope you all can see it
http://talk.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33234

She's also used it for crochet braids. I'm really considering this. I love the look of kanekalon hair.

JFemme

I can find neither brand online... ( E-ON nor Nafy Collection)

the eon site was blocked by my computer's security *sigh*:sad:

Any leads would be appreciated ladies...:yep:

thanks....

Last edited:

Rei

I've done crochet braids with kinky twist hair. The hair does mat eventually. I would soften the synthetic hair first with fabric softener (lol sounds crazy I know but is fake hair anyway) before installing it, and keep it in for a month at a time.