? for naturals that conditioner wash...

jada1111

What type of conditioners or routine you have for removing butters/pomades from the hair?

Do you use clarifying conditioners?

I like using pomades/butters/moisturizers and I'm thinking about conditioner washing or doing a modified version of it.

I currently have Suave Naturals Toasted Vanilla & Sugar conditioner (which I LOVE) and V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner (which I haven't used yet).

Are these lite enough to use everyday or to CLEAN BUTTER/POMADE type products out?

TIA! :-D

Jada1111

Nonie

I CW but I don't use any pomades, creams, or any type of leave-ins in my hair when in braids and twists, and I still use shampoo at least twice a week. (I've been in braids since April of last year.) When wearing my hair out, I use S-Curl spray as a leave-in and I do shampoo my hair between applications. I don't think I could go w/o shampoo.

How about trying WEN cleansing conditioners? I have never used them but if I were to give up shampooing, that's the direction I would go. I like the idea that they are made to clean and not just condition.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I CW but I don't use any pomades, creams, or any type of leave-ins in my hair when in braids and twists, and I still use shampoo at least twice a week. (I've been in braids since April of last year.) When wearing my hair out, I use S-Curl spray as a leave-in and I do shampoo my hair between applications. I don't think I could go w/o shampoo.

How about trying WEN cleansing conditioners? I have never used them but if I were to give up shampooing, that's the direction I would go. I like the idea that they are made to clean and not just condition.
never heard of WEN

I'm gonna look it up....I'm like you....I can't do without shampooing at least once a week.

justNikki

I'm back to cowashing daily because it's warming up and I still use a little butter (aloe butter or seyani hair butter) on my ends at night and all a little all over after diffusing everyday and I haven't had a problem with any kind of build up. I cowash with HE Hello Hydration or my favorite, V05 Kiwi and Lime Clarifying conditioner. I also shampoo once a week with a non-SLS poo and use a stronger (one with sulfates) poo when needed, usually every 8-12 weeks or so.

I use poos like Aveda Sap Moss, Giovanni Tea Tree, DevaCare Low Poo, etc...co-betaine or gentler sulfate poos weekly that aren't so harsh.

JustKiya

What type of conditioners or routine you have for removing butters/pomades from the hair?

I like using pomades/butters/moisturizers and I'm thinking about conditioner washing or doing a modified version of it.

I currently have Suave Naturals Toasted Vanilla & Sugar conditioner (which I LOVE) and V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner (which I haven't used yet).

Are these lite enough to use everyday or to CLEAN BUTTER/POMADE type products out?

Jada1111

I use butters and pomades (mostly Oyin ones) and I haven't used shampoo is well over a year. My trick is that I add a little baking soda (maybe 2 tsp. to about 1/2 cup of conditioner) to my condish when my hair starts to feel a little 'gunky'. I use virtually no cones, and my hair hasn't complained.

jada1111

I did use WEN and they're garbage for natural afro-cottony hair like mine. I'm in LA, so I had a chance to meet Chaz and although he's a wonderfully sweet person his products do NOTHING for MY hair texture.

It left my hair looking and feeling dull and coated. The only positive was that I was able to FINGERCOMB my hair with ease for the first time in my life.

jada1111

I use butters and pomades (mostly Oyin ones) and I haven't used shampoo is well over a year. My trick is that I add a little baking soda (maybe 2 tsp. to about 1/2 cup of conditioner) to my condish when my hair starts to feel a little 'gunky'. I use virtually no cones, and my hair hasn't complained.

What type of conditioner do you use?

jada1111

I'm back to cowashing daily because it's warming up and I still use a little butter (aloe butter or seyani hair butter) on my ends at night and all a little all over after diffusing everyday and I haven't had a problem with any kind of build up. I cowash with HE Hello Hydration or my favorite, V05 Kiwi and Lime Clarifying conditioner. I also shampoo once a week with a non-SLS poo and use a stronger (one with sulfates) poo when needed, usually every 8-12 weeks or so.

I use poos like Aveda Sap Moss, Giovanni Tea Tree, DevaCare Low Poo, etc...co-betaine or gentler sulfate poos weekly that aren't so harsh.

Have you noticed a difference in your hair when conditioner washing? Is it softer, less frizz, etc.?

I tired doing this some years back when it was popular, but I was using heavy conditioners, which resulted in my hair looking frizzy after I washed it.

Do you use one conditioner for "washing" and another for detangling?

JustKiya

What type of conditioner do you use?

It depends. If I'm just slapping it on to rinse it right back out, I'll use a cheapie cone-free (White Rain, Suave, V05 Naturals...). If I want to leave it in for a while, I'll mix it with Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner, and make it into a DC treatment.

SunnyDelight

I cowash often and use a variety of conditioners. I don't put much in my hair - except to moisturize and seal the ends. I agree with what JustKiya said - I add a small amount of baking soda to my conditioner every few weeks. Sometimes I will also do an ACV wash and then conditioner wash.

LadyEuphoria007

I co-wash about 3-4 times a week and shampoo and DC weekly.

I use VO5 conditioner and Suave daily clairfying shampoo if I feel I have build up. It is cheap and mild so it works for me to save my Beauty 4 Ashes products.

I use the condtioner as a leave in and I sometimes I use pomades/gels.

tinkat

I Co-wash only (I don't use shampoos). To avoid buildup, I do I baking soda wash once a month.

Qetesh

i love ACV and so i use it often. i cowash every other day and poo once a week. i also try to ACV rinse once a week also.

conditioners i use are Vo5, vive pro, pantine relaxed and natural, HE hello hydration, and Flexx.

i also use some creams and styling mouse on my hair and i find the ACV keeps it very soft and clean.

justNikki

Have you noticed a difference in your hair when conditioner washing? Is it softer, less frizz, etc.?

I tired doing this some years back when it was popular, but I was using heavy conditioners, which resulted in my hair looking frizzy after I washed it.

Do you use one conditioner for "washing" and another for detangling?

Dang, I'm so late responding, sorry jada. That's exactly what I do, I use the cheapies to cowash and the richer ones for conditioning. My hair is more supple for it and I don't experience dryness when I cowash regularly.

GoingNatural

I use Trader Joe Nourish Spa conditioner. To get butters out of my hair I will use the shikakai shampoo bar occasionally. But constant water pressure from cowashing often will work the butters out eventually.

jada1111

Dang, I'm so late responding, sorry jada. That's exactly what I do, I use the cheapies to cowash and the richer ones for conditioning. My hair is more supple for it and I don't experience dryness when I cowash regularly.

Thanks Maibaby.

All of the responses have been helpful and I'm going to be experimenting very soon. My concern was using butters, but I guess ACV rinses can get it out of the hair. We'll see.

AfroKink

Jada1111

I have a clarifying conditioner, but I haven't used it in a long time. I find the butter/oil comes off fine while washing with Aubrey's conditioner. I do ACV rinse occasionally. And I use black soap ever once in a while. I really don't have a consistent routine. I do what I think my hair needs at the time.

ETA: I use aloe as a hair sprary for moisture. It also has cleasing properties. I have another scalp spray with shikakai and aloe, both are cleansers. I think they help to keep my hair and scalp clean

Lys

Last edited:

adw425

I co-wash practically nightly and after that I use a creamy leave-in and seal with a butter or pomade like Oyin's Burnt Sugar. Although I do not use a clarifying conditioner, after my co-wash, my hair feels fine -- not gunky or anything like that. I mostly use VO5 honeydew smoothie or juicy mango passion or White Rain ocean mist. If my hair if feeling dry, I co-wash with my mix of several different cholesterol conditioners to which I have added some oil from my big bottle of (avocado, monoi, camellia and jojoba) as well as castor.

ETA: I do clarify weekly.

Last edited:

SEMO

I CW in between shampoos. So any buildup from butters, etc. will be washed out then. I've never used a clarifying conditioner so I can't say if that works.

justNikki

oh yes, jada. I'm learning something too. I may try the baking soda to see if that can reduce the number of times I actually wash my hair per month.