For Those Who Color Their Hair~

lavnder

Hi Ladies,

How often do you color your hair and which product do you use?

Do you use semi-permanent or permanent color with each application?

Also, do you alter your reg when coloring? More Deep Conditioning or Protein Treatments?

Look forward to your responses!

Lavnder~

JustKiya

I color my hair with henna. Because it's a permanent natural conditioning dye, and I mix conditioner into the henna itself to make it easier to rinse out, I don't do anything special afterwards. I plan on using henna every time I retwist my hair (which at the rate I'm going, will be every week).

Now, when I used to use the chemical dyes (Feria Professional Permanent) - I would deep condition my hair immeadiately after dying it, and for the first month, I would DC every week. After the first month, I just DC'd with a color preserving treatment (I think it was by Ion) every month. I never had a big issue with roots, so I would dye my hair whenever I felt like changing the color - which would usually be about every SIX months or so.
My hair hates protien treatments, so, I never used them.

Last edited:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

lavnder said:
Hi Ladies,

I color my hair once a year mostly around Spring/Summer. I use Clairol Textures and Tones.

I use permanent color.

Also, do you alter your reg when coloring? More Deep Conditioning or Protein Treatments?

I wash/cowash daily and deep condition once a week with plastic cap. I use a moisturizing and protein shampoo and conditioner once a week. I also do light protein treatments every month (Aphogee reconstructor) and a hardcore protein treatment (Aphogee for damaged hair) every 2-3 months when I do a touchup.

Lavnder~

I color my hair once a year mostly around Spring/Summer. I use Clairol Textures and Tones.

I use permanent color.

I wash/cowash daily and deep condition once a week with plastic cap. I use a moisturizing and protein shampoo and conditioner once a week. I also do light protein treatments every month (Aphogee reconstructor) and a hardcore protein treatment (Aphogee for damaged hair) every 2-3 months when I do a touchup.

lavnder

I have used Sebastian Colorshines and really like it, but I am thinking of going darker for the fall.

How does the Henna work, do you apply it often?

JustKiya

lavnder said:
I have used Sebastian Colorshines and really like it, but I am thinking of going darker for the fall.

How does the Henna work, do you apply it often?

There is another thread floating around here about henna - take a look on that for loads of info. Also www.hennaforhair.com has more info than you could shakea stick at about what henna is, the best kind to use (Body Art Quality), and what to mix with it to get the results you want.

I plan on henna'ing about once a week for a while - It's a gradually darkening color, and I want to see if I can get my roots and my dyed hair to match. Because it's natural, you can use it as often as you want.

Neroli

lavnder said:
Hi Ladies,

Lavnder~

1. I color once a month using henna.

2. Henna deposits permanent red color (my greys become golden red and the rest of my dark brown hair becomes a deep dark reddish brown).

4. Nope. Henna both colors AND conditions my hair and I have actually stopped using hard-core proteins because henna provides so much strength to my hair.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I put a clear rinse/glaze on my hair every 6 weeks. I'm currently using Jazzings in Clear and Clairol Shine Happy Treatment. I plan to use Beautiful Collections in the future. All are temporary, put can be made semi-permanent with heat. I don't do anything different when I use the rinses.

tenderheaded

I use Bigen permanent color 4 times a year. I immediately follow it with ORS Replenishing Pak. I deep condition after every wash using either ORS Hair Mayo, Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment, SE Mair Mayo, SE Cholesterol or Loreal Mermade.

My hair feels better that when it was uncolored:)