? for those who have been Transitioning for a year or more.......

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
I have been transitioning for 13 months now and would like to know how other are doing.

1. How is it going?
2. Do you find the longer your hair gets it is a challenge to handle the two textures?
3. What products have helped you through this phase?
4. What is your favorite style to sport during this phase?
5. How long is your natural hair now?
5. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off?

and finally...

6. Are you excited about your natural texture?

Thanks ladies

Peachtree

Hi Sunnygirl!

No one has responded so far.... so I'll give my lil 2 cents.

First of all, I'm not transitioning. My transition ended Oct 2, however, I will share my experience with you.

1. How is it going?
My transition went wonderfully. No major set backs nor problems. I had occasional tangles to deal with, but I found the right conditioners to combat that issue. (LustraSilk Aloe on *dry* hair, and Pantene Smooth & Sleek were the best for my tangles).

2. Do you find the longer your hair gets it is a challenge to handle the two textures?
No. Actually, it was the opposite for me. The longer my hair grew, the easier I was able to manage the two textures. I think that's cuz I grew more comfortable in my routine... pre-treat (Lustrasilk), wash (CON), condition (Pantene), oil (Hot 6, etc), do a wet bun, air dry. It just got easier & easier to do.

3. What products have helped you through this phase?Pantene S&S, LustraSilk Aloe, CON regular, Hot 6 oil were my favs.

4. What is your favorite style to sport during this phase?Wet buns, curly updos. Very simple, & quick.

When I finally cut off the relaxed ends, my natural hair was at my neck.

6. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off? I originally planned to transition for 2 yrs. However, I grew anxious and chopped at mth 18.

7. Are you excited about your natural texture?
Yes I was. That's why I shortened my transition :cool:

dst894

Hey sunnygirl,

I'm new to the site I saw your album I think we have very similiar texture hair. I need to get my pictures uploaded so you can see. So any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!!

1. How is it going?

Its going ok, but unfortunately I found that the only thing that works for me is to get my hair blow dried and flat ironed. It stays straight for a very long time. My last relaxer was Feb 04. Braid outs just don't look right. I thinks its b/c my hair is so thin.

When my hair is wet its crazy! The only way I can deal with the two different textures is when I've done a deep conditioner with honey and olive oil, something I've learned from this site. Or when I do the coconut and lime treatmnet.

I've turned into a PJ overnight. So far I like some products my Kiehls, I went there before Christmas and got a bunch of samples and they have a leave in conditioner that really left my hair soft. But I'm still searching.... I also like the Fantasia Gel with Sparklites, its helps when I'm wearing the bun it also brings out a lot of my texture which I enjoy.

My hair sheds less when its blow dried and flat ironed however when my hair is wet and pulled back in a bun I really like the way it looks. So I'm kind of torn between the two.

My natural hair I don't think is that long i think its maybe about 4 or 5 inches but that's just a guess.

My plan was to cut it off in Feb. But I'm not really a afro type of person so now I really don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions I'm completely open.
and finally...

At times I'm excited, like when its soaking wet. I really like the way it looks, but then when I tried to detangle it or it starts to air dry it looks crazy. I look in the mirror thinking what in the world am I doing:)

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
Hey Peachtree, you and your three year old have beautiful hair. You are such an inspirations. Keep up the good work and thanks for the response. I will be visiting your album often!

dst894, I can't wait to see pics of you. I will have to pm you with some of my techniques.

Thanks ladies.

MeccaMedinah

1. How is it going?

Pretty well.

No. Since I have been doing this for a year, I have gotten to know my hair and what works.

Conditioner- Dove, V05 Kiwi & Lime
Shampoo- Kiwi& Lime mixed with water
Hollywood Beauty's carrot creme w/ Olive oil

Twist out.

almost 4 inches?

Good question. I was originally going to do it this month. But I think I'll wait until it gets a little warmer. Like April or May.

and finally...

I am excited to have natural hair. My texture, I really don't know what it is yet and I kinda don't care. Whatever texture it turns out to have I'll love it. I've seen so many LHCFers with different hair types that keep their hair healthy and beautiful that I am more than sure that I'll me able to work whatever I have on this head.

honeisos

Peachtree said:
Hi Sunnygirl!

No one has responded so far.... so I'll give my lil 2 cents.

First of all, I'm not transitioning. My transition ended Oct 2, however, I will share my experience with you.

1. How is it going?
My transition went wonderfully. No major set backs nor problems. I had occasional tangles to deal with, but I found the right conditioners to combat that issue. (LustraSilk Aloe on *dry* hair, and Pantene Smooth & Sleek were the best for my tangles).

No. Actually, it was the opposite for me. The longer my hair grew, the easier I was able to manage the two textures. I think that's cuz I grew more comfortable in my routine... pre-treat (Lustrasilk), wash (CON), condition (Pantene), oil (Hot 6, etc), do a wet bun, air dry. It just got easier & easier to do.

3. What products have helped you through this phase?Pantene S&S, LustraSilk Aloe, CON regular, Hot 6 oil were my favs.

4. What is your favorite style to sport during this phase?Wet buns, curly updos. Very simple, & quick.

When I finally cut off the relaxed ends, my natural hair was at my neck.

6. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off? I originally planned to transition for 2 yrs. However, I grew anxious and chopped at mth 18.

Yes I was. That's why I shortened my transition :cool:

Peachtree ....your daughter's hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
1. How is it going? Well, it's...going, my hair is growing but my relaxed hair broke off a lot at first

2. Do you find the longer your hair gets it is a challenge to handle the two textures? Actually it has been for me....and it is not my hair that's the problem, it is the relaxed hair and the spot where they meet

3. What products have helped you through this phase? Deep conditioners like lustrasilk aloe, cholesterol type conditioners have helped. So has my trusted Fantasia gel, it's the only thing that keeps my hair looking decent

4. What is your favorite style to sport during this phase? I always wear buns or 2 strand twists. I'm getting tired of those styles but I'm too lazy to do braid outs all the time :look:

5. How long is your natural hair now? my natural hair is 4-7 inches

5. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off? I plan to chop in the spring, after my wedding! :D

and finally...

6. Are you excited about your natural texture? YES!! I have really coily hair with major (about 60-70%) shrinkage. But I don't care, I am looking forward to just being able to enjoy my natural hair. I don't miss relaxing every month one bit :)

misspriss

1. How is it going?
I've been transitioning for 11mo. so I'm close to 1 year!

Yes. My relaxed hair is super fragile and breaks when wet whereas my natural hair is much stronger and I HAVE to detangle when wet, so basically I have to supersoak my hair in conditioner and detangle in sections so my hair is managable and won't break on the demarcation line.

Shea Butter, Olive Oil, Kenra MC, and Fantasia Gel

Braidouts, Twists, and Buns

5-6 inches

6. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off?
I'm tempted to cut it any day now but I'll definately cut it all off gradually or BC before Feb06.

Yes, I'm very excited about the texture but also a little scared since I have to learn how to style shorter hair than I'm used to having.

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
Hey MeccaMedinah! Here are my answers. I have been transitioning for 13 months.

1. How is it going? Things are going a lot better now. Somedays I just wanted to cry but after the six month hump, I have been well on my way.

2. Do you find the longer your hair gets it is a challenge to handle the two textures? I do find it difficult to detangle with the two textures. That line of demarcation always seem to be my stuggle area. My natural texture is so soft but when I hit the relaxed area it is just a tangle mess.

3. What products have helped you through this phase? Conditioner washes, CD hair milk (I love this stuff) and my hair Jam for my slick backs.

4. What is your favorite style to sport during this phase? The bun and twist outs.

5. How long is your natural hair now? I think the longest part of my natural hair is about 6 inches (stretched)

6. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off? My goal is May 2005 although I am have been tempted to just cut on many occasions.

and finally...

6. Are you excited about your natural texture? I love it, love it, love it. I will never go back. My hair is so healthy and stronger than ever before. I really did like my relaxed days but natural is better for me.

Eiano

Respuestas

1. How is it going?
Good... it's pretty smooth since I keep it in braids.

Nope, only because all of it is gone, except maybe 1 inch... I cut the ends everytime I took the braids out.

VO5 conditioners!! Can't say enough about them

BRAIDS!!!

The last time I straightened it... (August), it was about 3 inches from B-Strap.

6. When do you plan to cut the relaxed or texturized ends off?
Probably this month...
Yes and No... Yes because it's much more versatile that just a relaxer. No because I love wearing my hair straight, but I hate using heat..

This was fun to answer:)