For those who stretch & comb "once" a week - how?

It~Can~Grow

I need to know how to "only comb once a week" while stretching. I see these types of threads and wonder, how? When I say how, I mean "how do you do it and still kinda/sorta style your hair?"

Do you wash, condition, apply oil wrap and go to bed AND when you wake up remove the scarf and just go to work?

If so, AND you use growth aids, how do you apply the oils to the 'scalp' when the hair is molded to your scalp?

I know when I wash my hair and put the scarf on at night, when I wake in the morning you would think someone made a hair mold for me and it's stuck to my head. :blush: I can't get any oils to my scalp unless I move/part my hair.:yep:

Tell me your secrets, ladies

Last edited:

shtow

Well I honestly think it depends on how long you stretch. I personally only stretch as long as I can without breakage which is about 2.5-3 months. I wash and straighten once a month and apply my coconut oil/tea tree oil concoction to my scalp by parting with an old school orange plastic wide tooth comb. I finger comb 6 days a week. But what has really helped me was

1). Not leaving conditioner on for too long under heat- I know this sounds off but I have learned this thru trial and error. My hair has more slip and if I leave it on any more than 20 minutes my hair has completely devoured the con. I have stalked plenty of long haired fotki's and 20 mins is their limit for the majority.

2). Using Porosity Control as needed has helped tremendously. I use after shampoo and before conditioning.

3). Diluting chelating and moisturizing poo's to help with dryness.

4). JUST FOR ME DETANGLING spray is my best friend along with my shower comb

5). nothing beats a staple/ good moisturizer

HTH

Last edited:

msjones

Hey there. I'm currently 7 weeks post relaxer, stretching until whenever it is I can't take it anymore lol.

Right now its getting kinda crazy, so I stopped my usual weekly rollersetting and have just been washing my hair once a week, drying with the scarf method to flatten out my new growth, and pinning my hair up into a protective style using bobby pins. If it gets dry mid-week, I co-wash and dry again using the scarf method.

I only comb my hair during washes since all I do is moisturize and put my hair up every morning. Its very lo manipulation. I dont think i'd be able to stretch if i was really styling my hair (straight) every morning. HTH.

It~Can~Grow

Humm maybe your're on to something. I leave on w/heat for 45-1 hr and trust it - is - gone.

So, I then NEED to apply Salerm for slip and so I can detangle the relaxed ends:lachen:

buuuttt...I would think it would be more beneficial for the hair if it drinks up the conditioner? Wouldn't it?

That's why I figured I needed the leave in just for the surface level slip because the core of my hair sucked all the benefits of the DC???

Well I honestly think it depends on how long you stretch. I personally only stretch as long as I can without breakage which is about 2.5-3 months. I wash and straighten once a month and apply my coconut oil/tea tree oil concoction to my scalp by parting with an old school orange plastic wide tooth comb. I finger comb 6 days a week. But what has really helped me was

1). Not leaving conditioner on for too long under heat- I know this sounds off but I have learned this thru trial and error. My hair has more slip and if I leave it on any more than 20 minutes my hair has completely devoured the con. I have stalked plenty of long haired fotki's and 20 mins is their limit for the majority.

2). Using Porosity Control as needed has helped tremendously. I use after shampoo and before conditioning.

3). Diluting chelating and moisturizing poo's to help with dryness.

4). JUST FOR ME DETANGLING spray is my best friend along with my shower comb

5). nothing beats a staple/ good moisturizer

HTH

Last edited:

It~Can~Grow

Hey there. I'm currently 7 weeks post relaxer, stretching until whenever it is I can't take it anymore lol.

Right now its getting kinda crazy, so I stopped my usual weekly rollersetting and have just been washing my hair once a week, drying with the scarf method to flatten out my new growth, and pinning my hair up into a protective style using bobby pins. If it gets dry mid-week, I co-wash and dry again using the scarf method.

I only comb my hair during washes since all I do is moisturize and put my hair up every morning. Its very lo manipulation. I dont think i'd be able to stretch if i was really styling my hair (straight) every morning. HTH.

Oh, GOD no - I'm not even trying to style. It's just wash and bun because I can't get a comb through the new growth anyway.

I'm 12 wks post - going for 2 more weeks.

I just know I've seen those who are stretching, using growth oils (in the case of MN every other day) and not combing.

For me, w/out manipulating my hair just a bit I can't get oil to my scalp. It would just sit on the surface and maybe trickle down a bit :lachen:

Last edited:

janeemat

I comb twice a week since I wash twice a week. So, therefore I only comb when wet while rinsing out my conditioner. Then I add my leave ins and comb again for my rollerset. The next morning when I remove the rollers I add my moisturizer and FINGER comb. At night a part with my fingers and add my moisturizer/oils to get the hair ready for bed. I'm 11 wks post and I dear not try to run a comb though my ng when dry.

shtow

Humm maybe your're on to something. I leave on w/heat for 45-1 hr and trust it - is - gone.

So, I then NEED to apply Salerm for slip and so I can detangle the relaxed ends:lachen:

buuuttt...I would think it would be more beneficial for the hair if it drinks up the conditioner? Wouldn't it?

That's why I figured I needed the leave in just for the surface level slip because the core of my hair sucked all the benefits of the DC???

Hmm. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. I think you may have to find the right amount of time where it is absorbed but your hair is not Bone dry lol. Some people reapply the DC after 10-15 mins and some use a rinse out after DCing.

It~Can~Grow

Hmm. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. I think you may have to find the right amount of time where it is absorbed but your hair is not Bone dry lol. Some people reapply the DC after 10-15 mins and some use a rinse out after DCing.

:goodone: who turned on the light? That's it...I need to reapply. Thanks

littlefastcar

I need to know how to "only comb once a week" while stretching. I see these types of threads and wonder, how? When I say how, I mean "how do you do it and still kinda/sorta style your hair?"

Do you wash, condition, apply oil wrap and go to bed AND when you wake up remove the scarf and just go to work?

If so, AND you use growth aids, how do you apply the oils to the 'scalp' when the hair is molded to your scalp?

I know when I wash my hair and put the scarf on at night, when I wake in the morning you would think someone made a hair mold for me and it's stuck to my head. :blush: I can't get any oils to my scalp unless I move/part my hair.:yep:

Tell me your secrets, ladies

I'm stretching using the scarf method as well, so I know exactly what you mean about the "molded look":look:

I am usually able to get oils to my scalp without "disturbing" my hair too much by using one of those pointed tip applicator bottles (like the ones used to apply color). I get mine from Sally's. I just stick the tip through my hair down into my scalp. Even after I've done it all over, my hair doesn't really look messy. HTH

PS- Come to think of it, I use a pointed tip applicator bottle during the rare times I use shampoo as well. It helps to ensure that the shampoo only gets to my scalp, where I need it most. These bottles rock!!:2cool:

It~Can~Grow

So once you get it on your scalp do you kinda move your scalp a bit, or just let it run down and land where it lands?

I'm stretching using the scarf method as well, so I know exactly what you mean about the "molded look":look:

I am usually able to get oils to my scalp without "disturbing" my hair too much by using one of those pointed tip applicator bottles (like the ones used to apply color). I get mine from Sally's. I just stick the tip through my hair down into my scalp. Even after I've done it all over, my hair doesn't really look messy. HTH

PS- Come to think of it, I use a pointed tip applicator bottle during the rare times I use shampoo as well. It helps to ensure that the shampoo only gets to my scalp, where I need it most. These bottles rock!!:2cool:

MizAvalon

I CW every day and then just put my hair into a bun. I know that's not practical for everyone though.

I comb once a week when I wash with shampoo. I wash, slather my hair with conditioner, sit under the Pibbs for 15-20 minutes and then comb with my Jilbere while rinsing out the conditioner. The comb just glides through and there are no problems.

I am currently 11 weeks post.

charmtreese

I stretch and comb once a week. If Im applying my wgo/grapefruit oil mix, there is no problem at all I just use the pointy nozzle and apply to scalp and message in. If Im using my JC NS, I part my hair with my fingers apply and message in. No combing required.

growinstrong

For those of you who only comb once a week, how much shedding are you experiencing. I know its supposed to be for the whole week, but everytime I see the amount in my comb, I'm like :nono:

littlefastcar

So once you get it on your scalp do you kinda move your scalp a bit, or just let it run down and land where it lands?

I move it around a bit, but not the point where I'm messing up the bun. The key is to add a little at a time so that it is not dripping down your hairline/neck, but so your scalp still ends up pretty well oiled all over. I learned that the hard way!

soonergirl

Im 11 weeks post and co-wash everyday... Im 4a/b. I put it in a bun with a flexi 8 clip or use good day hair pins.... I only detangle once a week too... I couldnt comb through this new growth if I tried!!! So i just leave it alone!!! I use a scarf at night, I get the molded look in the a.m and smooth the sides with a brush in the a.m!!!

BlondeByDesire

When I did my first stretch I went 14 weeks and that was it. I was washing and airdrying and bunning. My crown got so dry and I didn't understand why. I wash, DC, and add my leave in and air dry in a pony with a scraf. But I must have been doing someting wrong - even though was combing and adding moisturizer daily it was getting to my roots/crown - this caused significant breakage - I was in shock once I did my touch-up. Right now 7.5 weeks post and am able to still do a curly roller set.

But further down the line when I start to do airdry again - after I apply my leave-in - do you apply a moisturizer at the same time? Or do you wait until dried a little and then add moisterizer - I don't want a repeat of my last experience. My hair takes a couple days to dry fully.

Help - suggestions please.