From 80% to 100% length retention by braiding?

Naturelie

Hi ladies!
Have you achieve really great length retention by doing something particular.
Personaly, I'm a firm believer that the less you do, the better it is (in my case at least). So, I've adopted protective styles - especially medium or mini twists and twisted buns - and I've seen great retention.
I've never made mini-braids but I'm considering doing it on a regular basis. I guess mini-braids lead to a more manageable regimen (you can deep condition, wash you hair while it's in it, with twists it can easily lead to tangles and SSK) and can lead to really great retention (from 80 to 100% retention the whole period of time you wear them). But I'm afraid of breakage while taking mini-braids down.

Have you adopted a mini braids regimen and have you seen really great retention? How do you avoid or reduce breakage while taking them down?
Thanks!!

jesusislove1526

I use mini braids as a protective style a lot and I have seen great retention. When taking them down, I use a spritz of conditioner, water, and oils to make my hair really pliable before so that I can finger detangle and undo the braids at the same time. I am very gentle with my hair, and that matters a lot because sometimes it can get time consuming with taking them out. You should refer to the mini braid thread lead by manter26 for more info.

Naturelie

I use mini braids as a protective style a lot and I have seen great retention. When taking them down, I use a spritz of conditioner, water, and oils to make my hair really pliable before so that I can finger detangle and undo the braids at the same time. I am very gentle with my hair, and that matters a lot because sometimes it can get time consuming with taking them out. You should refer to the mini braid thread lead by @manter26 for more info.

Ok, thanks! I know she has a blog where she talks about her mini-braids regimen, isn't it?

Mahogony7

Hmm. I bc'd on march 24 of last year to under an inch of hair. Since then I have done nothing but wear my hair in single braids under wigs. I wear the braids for a week then take them out. After taking them out I let AOGPB sit in my hair for about 8-12 hours. After rinsing it out I cleanse my scalp and then put in my deep conditioner for 6-8 hours. The last 30 minutes I sit under a hooded dryer. Throughout the week I oil my scalp and moisturize my ends every day. I use a cream first then seal with oil. I also cowash everyday as well. I trimmed my hair last week, but my longest layers reached collarbone.

manter26

I use mini braids as a protective style a lot and I have seen great retention. When taking them down, I use a spritz of conditioner, water, and oils to make my hair really pliable before so that I can finger detangle and undo the braids at the same time. I am very gentle with my hair, and that matters a lot because sometimes it can get time consuming with taking them out. You should refer to the mini braid thread lead by manter26 for more info.

Ok, thanks! I know she has a blog where she talks about her mini-braids regimen, isn't it?

:wave: here's the current thread if you need it. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=665157
not much activity going on now but the links to the old threads are in there and there's lots of advice and posts from others. you can also pm me or mention me if you have questions. :yep: