From MBL to WL

Mskraizy

:lick:

I'm an eager beaver....and a curious one at that, and I would just like to know, did you have to switch up your regimen to get to WL after you reached MBL? Did your regimen switch up? Change any techniques? Add anything? Eliminate? Spill the deeds ya'll, what (if anything) changed from your transition to MBL to WL.

I'm currently revving up the protective styling again, but I don't wanna wait no 6 months from now and THEN come on here crying about it. I'd like to know now. :grin:

:lachen:

ManeStreet

I stopped doing wash & go's. And I bunned for like 2 months. That's the bun you see as my profile pic. I just kept that same bun for a week at a time. Then I'd wear my hair loose for 1 day on the weekend then I'd bun again for another week. That's what got me from mbl to waist length. I don't really like bunning but it was necessary for me.

Channy31

Im on my way to waist length and have stopped using heat once a week and started doing it once a month.

I'm also bunning 24/7 :)
Hopefully it will get me to waist length asap.

Mskraizy

I stopped doing wash & go's. And I bunned for like 2 months. That's the bun you see as my profile pic. I just kept that same bun for a week at a time. Then I'd wear my hair loose for 1 day on the weekend then I'd bun again for another week. That's what got me from mbl to waist length. I don't really like bunning but it was necessary for me.

ManeStreet, But....I love my wash and go's now! lol But I don't really style my hair that often anyway, I'm usually bunned and under a beanie hat (of course with my satin bonnet protecting my bun). I'm going to start twisting and bunning and redo them every 2 weeks to lessen my manipulation even more (As if I'm not ALREADY lazy :lachen:). I figure less manipulation, less detangling, less possibilities for breakage, more retention, right? I hope so.

Just generally speaking, how long do you think it took you to get to WL from MBL?

Im on my way to waist length and have stopped using heat once a week and started doing it once a month.

I'm also bunning 24/7 :)
Hopefully it will get me to waist length asap.

Channy31I don't really use heat either. I've used it twice in the last 4 months, but generally I use heat like once a year. These two times I was just excited about my length and I wanted to see it some more :lol:.

I feel like I'm doing everything to help my hair retain, but I'm not seeing as much progress as I'd like to.

Perhaps the trims? That's all I can think of...

Thanks for your comments ladies! Bumping for more replies! :grin:

Victoria44

I'm not waist length but since being mbl the only way I can keep my ends from knotting and splitting is by keeping my hair up in buns. The more I wear it down the more often I have to trim/cut back.

Mskraizy

I'm not waist length but since being mbl the only way I can keep my ends from knotting and splitting is by keeping my hair up in buns. The more I wear it down the more often I have to trim/cut back.

Victoria44 yaaay one of my hairspirations on here!!! :grin:

This sounds like my problem. I know I've been enjoying my hair a little too much since the year started, so i figure diving back into protective styling is gonna be my best bet to get there!

I wonder sometimes, does it matter if you use all natural products as opposed to walking-into-walmart products. I get what I afford, but I do notice that people who achieve longer beautiful lengths have morphed their product stashes into relatively simple and natural products. I have a simple regimen with really 4 to 5 staple products including oils and everything but I mean, if you look at the ingredients list you could swear I was speaking a foreign language. :lol:

SouthernScienceNerd

I am one of those people that never protective styles besides the occasional bun. I wear my hair down 99% of the time. The main changes I made to my regimen were mud washes and henna glosses. Also, I no longer do wash n gos and I put my hair in chunky (1-4) braids or twists nightly.

Dee Raven

There were two things that changed for me as I got longer. 1) No more wngs. The hair gets way too tangled. 2) I found ways to cut down on the time to do all my go to styles. Long hair is a lot of work and the lazier you get with your styling method the better. By lazy I mean time-effective not neglectful. Otherwise you'll spend all day every weekend in the bathroom.

Mskraizy

I am one of those people that never protective styles besides the occasional bun. I wear my hair down 99% of the time. The main changes I made to my regimen were mud washes and henna glosses. Also, I no longer do wash n gos and I put my hair in chunky (1-4) braids or twists nightly.

I don't really know how my hair would retain if I never protective styled, I never actually gave it a shot. I just jumped into ps-ing and never looked back cause my hair was growing so much. I figured 'why stop a good thing?' :yep:

Lucky for you though, definitely... :look: :grin:

There were two things that changed for me as I got longer. 1) No more wngs. The hair gets way too tangled. 2) I found ways to cut down on the time to do all my go to styles. Long hair is a lot of work and the lazier you get with your styling method the better. By lazy I mean time-effective not neglectful. Otherwise you'll spend all day every weekend in the bathroom.

*frowny face* :sad: I hated wash and go's on my shorter hair and now that my hair has gotten longer I LOVE them. I'm so backwards with this hair journey thing.. :lol: I guess I'll cut out the wash and go's....for now anyway. Just trying to get to my milestones now.

Hopefully I won't be back with a setback...:look::ohwell:

ManeStreet

ManeStreet, But....I love my wash and go's now! lol But I don't really style my hair that often anyway, I'm usually bunned and under a beanie hat (of course with my satin bonnet protecting my bun). I'm going to start twisting and bunning and redo them every 2 weeks to lessen my manipulation even more (As if I'm not ALREADY lazy :lachen:). I figure less manipulation, less detangling, less possibilities for breakage, more retention, right? I hope so. Just generally speaking, how long do you think it took you to get to WL from MBL? Channy31I don't really use heat either. I've used it twice in the last 4 months, but generally I use heat like once a year. These two times I was just excited about my length and I wanted to see it some more :lol:. I feel like I'm doing everything to help my hair retain, but I'm not seeing as much progress as I'd like to. Perhaps the trims? That's all I can think of... Thanks for your comments ladies! Bumping for more replies! :grin:

It took me about 6-8 months.

I loved wash & go's but once I got to a certain length it was just too much to deal with. I realized that needed to keep my hair stretched to make certain length goals. Plus once I moved back to the east coast I couldn't do wash & go's year round cause the winter is just too long & too cold.

Last edited:

Channy31

ManeStreet, But....I love my wash and go's now! lol But I don't really style my hair that often anyway, I'm usually bunned and under a beanie hat (of course with my satin bonnet protecting my bun). I'm going to start twisting and bunning and redo them every 2 weeks to lessen my manipulation even more (As if I'm not ALREADY lazy :lachen:). I figure less manipulation, less detangling, less possibilities for breakage, more retention, right? I hope so.

Just generally speaking, how long do you think it took you to get to WL from MBL?

Channy31I don't really use heat either. I've used it twice in the last 4 months, but generally I use heat like once a year. These two times I was just excited about my length and I wanted to see it some more :lol:.

I feel like I'm doing everything to help my hair retain, but I'm not seeing as much progress as I'd like to.

Perhaps the trims? That's all I can think of...

Thanks for your comments ladies! Bumping for more replies! :grin:

For me BSL - Waist is like 5 inches. So thats ten months :)
MBL - Waist is about 3 inches for me, so about 6 months.