Full length natural hair relaxed with phyto?

zailless

My hair is natural. I would like to perm it with phyto and i am debating between phyto 1 or 2. My goal is to relax my hair about 70% so that even though it will be kinky, it will straigten fully whenever I rollerset. I would like to keep as much kink as possible so that all it takes to get my hair straight is a rollerset. How do i achieve this?

1. Do I use phyto 1? If i use phyto 1 can i apply it starting from the ends to make sure the ends are smooth and not dry and kinkier than the rest of hair. Whats the longest time that i can leave phyto 1 on my hair?

2. Do i use phyto II and slow down the processing tiime by adding oil to the relaxer before processing? If i do this cant i just paste oil all over my hair to extend my application time? again, can i apply from the ends to make sure the ends are smooth. i do not want to have to chop the ends off just because they are kinkier than the rest of hair.

3. I hear if you dont smooth properly then the hair will be trashy. does that mean you have to relax it 100% for it not to be trashy?

I appreciate any feedback i can get.

Thank you!

Mystic

If you are looking to relax 70% and maintain some curls, use Index 1. It makes no sense to use Index 11 and slow down the process with oil. Index 1 gives the same result with less work.

JLove74

My only advice, would be to go to a professional for your relaxer. Especially when going from a natural state.

zailless

The last time i went to stylist with full natural hair she screwed it up. i thought my hair was straight. by the time i got home and looked in the mirror, one whole half of my head reverted. so here i was with my hair not knowing what to do. i had work on monday and in that weekend i just decided to use a mild cream and separate the hair as best as possible and get it straight. I babied my hair back to health. it stayed long and healthy for 2 years after that till my blond ambitions.
anyway, here i am with natural hair again. i will relax my hair but i cant afford to leave my hair to a stylist. I will have to do what i have to do. but thanks for the advice. can phyto one get the ends straight?

tushai

if your going to doyour hair your self i suggest you start relaxing at the end and work your way up to the roots because if you do it visa versa ur going to end uo with stright roots and curly ends because the heat from body will open your cuticle and process your rootsfater than your ends

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Examine your hair well before you relax. You ends arent going to be kinkier than your new growth unless there is damage or scab hair. I am natural, and my hair from the middle of my length toward the scalp has defined waves and a smoother texture, and you can see where rough part of my hair starts just looking at the shaft. I think it's because this is the part I have exposed the most. As a natural, it doesnt matter. I do wash n goes, twists, puffs, so you cant see a difference in the texture for the most part. My concern is after you relax, you will find you need to cut the majority of the "kinky" part because its actually damaged or at the least more porous. If it is more porous you would want to relax that part last.

Candiss

Nice thread. I've been thinking bout relaxing again and this is exactly how I would want to do it. If you decide to do it, please post pics of your process for us.

thanks

zailless

Anyone have recommendations on phyto 1 versus mixing oil in higher strength relaxer? Thanks for the comments

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Exactly what I was about to type. Make sure to do the ends first all around, then come back and do the middle all around, and then last your roots.
tushai said:
if your going to doyour hair your self i suggest you start relaxing at the end and work your way up to the roots because if you do it visa versa ur going to end uo with stright roots and curly ends because the heat from body will open your cuticle and process your rootsfater than your ends

zailless

Thanks,
I used to relax my hair myself with the kiddie perms. My hair had no issues no breakage. It was about 65% straight. I used heat to straighen it once a week, used aphogee every six weeks and used the same conditioner and shampoo for 2 years. I dont like flat ironing but if i relax bone straight its harder to retain length. Now that i am natural and considering relaxing again, I will definitely use the same methods. The only thing is figuring out the ends. I remember the hair dresser who did my hair the last time i had relaxed hair left the ends kinky. i think i had to go over the ends a few times to get them straight. This is why I am concerned about the getting the ends straight with a mild relaxer like phyto 1. Also, one change I will make to my relaxing process is staying quarter inch away from my scalp. i never ever want relaxer to touch my scalp again. phew! so many concerns before the process