Girl, let me tell you what happened to me at the African Braiding Salon

BrickbyBrick

Unfortunately, I think Sister Aminata is one of the better ones (but I think there's 2 salons with that name in Harlem). The one I go to for the summer is on the second floor? I went there the day after a weave takedown and I didn't detangle. It was a terrible experience. They are not good for detangling, but if you go with your hair washed, conditioned, dried and detangled, these guys are super fast. Their strong suit is the braiding, that's it.

SoopremeBeing

My only good experience with an African braider was back in 2010, and she did hair out of her house. Nice house too...she cornrowed my hair up into a ponytail; it was cute, but still way too tight around the edges.

naturalmanenyc

The one time I used a braider on 125th (recommended braider) she lied about knowing how to do the style. My tree braids looked a hot mess. I was foolish enough to pay her knowing that I was going home to take them out.

DH saw my hair and drove me back to the salon (from Brooklyn) and demanded she take out the braids and give back his money. She took out that style in under 30 minutes (took 4 hours to install). DH stood over her while she took out the style and she gave him back his money outside, since she did not want anyone to see her give a refund.

I have never again tried any of the 125th St braiders and I am much more assertive at salons.

I have a great braider in Brooklyn. She is more expensive than 125th though. $200 for Senegalese twists and done in 5 hours. I paid $150 for a curly twist crochet style and it took 3 hours.

First attempt at tree braids

Last edited:

FrazzledFraggle

The one time I used a braider on 125th (recommended braider) she lied about knowing how to do the style. My tree braids looked a hot mess. I was foolish enough to pay her knowing that I was going home to take them out.

DH saw my hair and drove me back to the salon (from Brooklyn) and demanded she take out the braids and give back his money. She took out that style in under 30 minutes (took 4 hours to install). DH stood over her while she took out the style and she gave him back him money outside, since she did not want anyone to see her give a refund.

I have never again tried any of the 125th St braiders and I am much more assertive at salons.

I have a great braider in Brooklyn. She is more expensive than 125th though. $200 for Senegalese twists and done in 5 hours. I paid $150 for a curly twist crochet style and it took 3 hours.

Go head DH. :lol:

ilong

God's Own
I think braiders should have to be licensed just like other hair care professionals.

But the license doesn't deal with bad service.

I had a bad experience with a braiding shop a few years back. The shop was suppose to open at 9am - they all arrived at 9:20am. Then the shop was still dirty from the night before, so they had to sweep and clearn before taking patrons that morning. . After seating me in the chair and finally starting my hair , the braiders ordered breakfast. As soon as breakfast arrived, she just walked away (didn't say a word) and went to eat breakfast. I put my hair up, took off the cape, got up to leave. The owner looked at me and asked what the problem was and I had no issue in telling her - how dare you all disrespect my time by forcing me to wait till you arrive (LATE), clean up and now she has to eat breakfast??? And didn't bother to say a word. I told her there are at least 5 more braiding shops in a one mile radius of her and I plan on taking my business to one of them. Mouths fell open as I walked out the door.

The shop is good so after 2 years I went back and of course the owner remember me. I rarely have to wait now :grin: and if there is a wait she tells me to come back or she will call me when she is ready. :lachen:

I did the same thing at a salon over 15 years ago. Walked out with wet hair. Waiting 2 hours for service - while they do "beauty shop" (the play) in the real - is not something I will do.
I refuse to pay my money and be treated like crap. And I am a GOOD tipper too - so hecky no.

I also take my own hair utensils and make sure my hair is in easy to take out and comb braids. One braider tried to use a rattail comb on my hair one time and I had to check her. I tell them in advance - no heat and no burning over my braids with the cigarette lighters.

I agree with the poster who said she gives a firm price and they usually run after you. Especially now business is not as good as it once was for African shops, since more and more ladies cannot afford the zillions or have NO HAIR LEFT- because the zillions have ripped if out. So many shops have closed down because business is down.

Last edited:

empressri

And this is why they will NEVER touch my hair.

My friend's ex went to one of them uptown...and they made him pay BEFORE getting his hair braided. On top of that, those cornrows didn't even look good.

SO and I were like...they made you pay first? That alone would have made me walk out, because already you must expect that I'm going to run out and not pay, thus treating the people you're getting business from like thieves. Hell to the no.

discodumpling

I love my African sisters...they are so bout it and will only respect you if you are the same. That being said ain't no way in hell you gon talk about me and be that rough with my hair and then i pay u for the pleasure! Try Billie Jeans...the service is acceptable and the drama is entertaining.

PJaye

Haven't had my hair braided since 06. Before then it was 02. I only did to grow out my spontaneous relaxers. Now that I know I can't stand my hair relaxed there's no need for me to suffer that abuse again.

In any case it's unfair to expect people with a huge language and cultural barrier to suddenly know how to deal with natural hair when 99% of the women they serve have relaxed hair. Not to mention very few people outside of children would actually have long natural hair to begin with. I think we have to much expectation that all African women should be able to handle natural hair. The truth is there's a lot of relaxed heads in Africa too.

The point of my post had little to do with the braiders’ level of proficiency in natural hair care practices, but rather their consistent display of poor customer service and blatant disrespect. FWIW, good manners is a universal language that is spoken worldwide.

greight

The point of my post had little to do with the braiders’ level of proficiency in natural hair care practices, but rather their consistent display of poor customer service and blatant disrespect. FWIW, good manners is a universal language that is spoken worldwide.

TBH, it's the same type of attitude that had kept me at of salons in general (not just braiders) for the last DECADE. I've been to 1 salon in the last decade, that's how much I abhor it. I do my own braids, my own hair, etc. Even if it looks busted :lol:

I only recently found a salon that works with me, not against me and my wishes.

I don't bother with anyone approaching me for any type of hair situation. I need referrals, vouchers, etc. This is why I prefer LHCF since I know ya'll keep it 100% when it comes to hair business. There won't be some random Amazon fluffed up nonsense about services.

SoopremeBeing

I agree that all braiders should be licensed.

They really should create some type of national database for hairdressers and braiders where we can give praise or file a complaint, and it's attached to their state license number. I know it's dramatic, but it would keep all the real stylists in circulation and weed out the bad ones.

almond eyes

Many of these hair braiders do hair based upon how their hair was styled, combed and braided as children in Africa depending on where they grew up. I grew up where when it was time to get my hair braided, there was little patience, tight braiding and rough combing was the order of the day and if you didn't comply and cried then you were seen as being not strong. Somehow, there is a stereotype that African hair has to be 'beaten' into submission.

I was at the hair salon in harlem and one of the ladies has just finished eating her KFC and wanted to start my hair, I had to tell the head honcho to ask the woman to please wash her hands and that was the first oopsie. Then she came at my hair with her little comb and I was like use my comb please and her eyes rolled. Then we almost came to blows when she grabbed at my hair wildly and kept saying that she had to use the little comb to get through my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Wow.

I went to my local African braiding salon faithfully for 10 years. They never tried to rip through my hair, whether natural or relaxed. I always got micros, so they just combed out each little piece of hair before they put the extension to it and braided it in. Nothin to it. No stress. They were really quite pleasant and always offered me food!

Man I was lucky!

Sorry you ladies go through all this! Just awful! Never go back to that place again. It's not worth the trouble....

lux10023

iunno in nyc---the braiding places are really all the same--unless your going to a high-end spot--what OP expd..seemed typical...

just tell them gentle--and it appear syou like their braiding techniques/style so--
also there are tons of places to choose from..so lil bit of trial and error

keelioness

Hmm a few minutes of blow drying shouldn't kill your hair.... OP don't get caught up in the bandwagons..there's nothing wrong with carefully detangling your hair with a comb.

greenandchic

Hmm a few minutes of blow drying shouldn't kill your hair.... OP don't get caught up in the bandwagons..there's nothing wrong with carefully detangling your hair with a comb.

I think the main issue was they didn't ask her, they just did it. Also, some of us would wan't some sort of heat protectant - I know I do even on medium heat.

NaturalfienD

I am sorry OP!! Getting my hair braided by African braiders is precisely the reason why doing my own hair became necessary. I got my hair braided for a little minute by this African sista in Vegas ... she was dope, gentle with my hair but would only do three rows. Then, she called the homies in to finish the rest of my head. SWEET BABY JESUS, they were horrid. They pulled my hair every which a way, opposite directions and would braid so tight that my scalp would become swollen and little bumps around my edges came thereafter.

What was killer for me was the moment I walked out of my office to grab something off the printer ... upon my return to my office, I saw one long a.ss pretty braid on the floor. Guess whose it was ...

Never again, not the kid ... no siree Bob!! From there, I went natural and taught myself how to braid. My technique isn't as good as theirs but my damn hair don't fall out either.

Sorry you had that experience girlfriend ...

greenandchic

I am sorry OP!! Getting my hair braided by African braiders is precisely the reason why doing my own hair became necessary. I got my hair braided for a little minute by this African sista in Vegas ... she was dope, gentle with my hair but would only do three rows. Then, she called the homies in to finish the rest of my head. SWEET BABY JESUS, they were horrid. They pulled my hair every which a way, opposite directions and would braid so tight that my scalp would become swollen and little bumps around my edges came thereafter.

What was killer for me was the moment I walked out of my office to grab something off the printer ... upon my return to my office, I saw one long a.ss pretty braid on the floor. Guess whose it was ...

Never again, not the kid ... no siree Bob!! From there, I went natural and taught myself how to braid. My technique isn't as good as theirs but my damn hair don't fall out either.

Sorry you had that experience girlfriend ...

Dang! That was like 'bait & switch'. :lol:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I speak louder and say "I will do it" and she says "No, because if you could do it, you would have done it at home"

Say whaaa?! :shocked:

See, that would've set it off, rat there. I'm not saying that I would've wanted to "black out" up in there but, I do have tendencies. :brucelee: (#dontjudgeme)

Girl, I might've met up with my friend wearing a hat or a wig. :lol: :blush: :look: :lol: :look:

amwcah

I had the same situation happen to me before. I think I was a couple of months post and I air dried as well. The lady pulled out the hair dryer, and I politely declined. End of story.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I think the sad part is that most women think these practices are just normal. They don't understand proper hair care, so they will let these braiders do any and everything to their hair. If they do know a little about proper hair care, they just forgo all good sense to get a good style (like I used to). I haven't been to a braider in a long time, but the one I used to frequent in BK was pretty gentle. She did blow dry without heat protectent, but that is when I knew nothing about that stuff. Now all salons are like what the OP experienced, but I think the majority of them are.

Oh and OP, I would have got up and left. That behavior was disrespectful and uncalled for. They are lucky you were pressed for time.

I think the sad part is that most women think these practices are just normal. They don't understand proper hair care, so they will let these braiders do any and everything to their hair. If they do know a little about proper hair care, they just forgo all good sense to get a good style (like I used to). I haven't been to a braider in a long time, but the one I used to frequent in BK was pretty gentle. She did blow dry without heat protectent, but that is when I knew nothing about that stuff. Now all salons are like what the OP experienced, but I think the majority of them are.

Oh and OP, I would have got up and left. That behavior was disrespectful and uncalled for. They are lucky you were pressed for time.

I regret it though. Never again. The city I was leaving to go to has no black hair care salons at all. I had a hug bookbag and suitcase with me and everything

The entire weekend was busy as hell for me though. I was up all night the night before taking my hair out

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I regret it though. Never again. The city I was leaving to go to has no black hair care salons at all. I had a hug bookbag and suitcase with me and everything

The entire weekend was busy as hell for me though. I was up all night the night before taking my hair out

Don't worry. They will not get your business again. I stopped going to a braiding salon simply because they would say stuff about my hair, take forever to eat their breakfast/lunch/dinner/whatever, and still had the nerve to overcharge! WTH? We do have to demand better service.

Don't worry. They will not get your business again. I stopped going to a braiding salon simply because they would say stuff about my hair, take forever to eat their breakfast/lunch/dinner/whatever, and still had the nerve to overcharge! WTH? We do have to demand better service.

I know girl. I'm just still upset about this, as you can see lol

FearlessNik

African braiding shops don't care about healthy hair, scalp, or edges. Only that the braids look nice. Whatever treatment you got there is because that's what you wanted. If it were unacceptable it wouldn't have been done and tolerated.

I go to a hair salon operated by Africans in Dubai. After 3 years they only know me as the lady with the nappy hair, not my name. But they know when I come in they are not to come at me with the blow dryer or them tiny *** combs. They know all they need to do is make the part and I will detangle and brush it out with my Denman. I pay good money and I expect to leave with my hair looking great and good customer service.

cutiebe2

I got to Aminata, NOT Sister Aminata who is someone trying to capitalize on Aminata's mini fame by using the same name :look:

One thing I will say is you have to be strong to get what you want. I tell the ladies I want the braids big around the hairline. I watch them with every single braid in the front lmao. They all say "I know, I know BIG!" :laugh: You have to be firm and show you don't play. I agree that many African braiding salons don't have great customer service. At the same time, you should see their customers. The majority of their customers don't seem to care about their hair like you and I. In fact this one girl came it, had them take her braids out and then put them back in. She said she doesn't care about her hair because its always braided anyway. yuck!

Last time I went to Aminata I was out within 2 hours because I had 4 people on my head. I find when I go in the morning when less customers are there, I get done faster and the women are more accomidating with my wants.

auparavant

Many of these hair braiders do hair based upon how their hair was styled, combed and braided as children in Africa depending on where they grew up. I grew up where when it was time to get my hair braided, there was little patience, tight braiding and rough combing was the order of the day and if you didn't comply and cried then you were seen as being not strong. Somehow, there is a stereotype that African hair has to be 'beaten' into submission.

I was at the hair salon in harlem and one of the ladies has just finished eating her KFC and wanted to start my hair, I had to tell the head honcho to ask the woman to please wash her hands and that was the first oopsie. Then she came at my hair with her little comb and I was like use my comb please and her eyes rolled. Then we almost came to blows when she grabbed at my hair wildly and kept saying that she had to use the little comb to get through my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

:yep: One of my dearest friends in college wanted so badly to thread my hair, so I allowed her to. A. was Nigerian and she took out a traditional wooden comb. Let me tell you, when she was done, I had a huge handful of hair come out. :look: My hair was 2c'ish tex-laxed too. She combed the DEVIL out of my hair and that comb evidently had nicks in it. :nono: And I'm tender-headed to begin with. And another friend of mine from S.A. wanted a relaxer and got Bantu. I told her I heard it was very strong but she didn't care. N.'s hair was very, very strong, rough hair...I swear it was 4-z...something. I was going so slow to untangle it because it was very matted and she was like, "get in and just comb it good." She took that comb from me and started raking like mad. I was scared I'd hurt her head but when she combed, she didn't even flinch, assuring me I could be rough with it.

Yeah, and you have to watch it...so many folks doing AA hair have so little respect for their clients, it's unreal. You won't exactly know it unless you speak the language and pretend you don't.

glamazon386

Afterwards I never entered that place without having my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried w/comb attachment, and put in a nice braided pony tail to ensure that there would be no stupidity. African braid shops braid well but they don't know a darn thing about handling natural hair.

Exactly. I detangle my own hair at home and again when I get there if necessary. I would never let them do it.