Girl, let me tell you what happened to me at the African Braiding Salon

I got to Aminata, NOT Sister Aminata who is someone trying to capitalize on Aminata's mini fame by using the same name :look:

One thing I will say is you have to be strong to get what you want. I tell the ladies I want the braids big around the hairline. I watch them with every single braid in the front lmao. They all say "I know, I know BIG!" :laugh: You have to be firm and show you don't play. I agree that many African braiding salons don't have great customer service. At the same time, you should see their customers. The majority of their customers don't seem to care about their hair like you and I. In fact this one girl came it, had them take her braids out and then put them back in. She said she doesn't care about her hair because its always braided anyway. yuck!

Last time I went to Aminata I was out within 2 hours because I had 4 people on my head. I find when I go in the morning when less customers are there, I get done faster and the women are more accomidating with my wants.

cutieb2 what is the address?

napbella

Oh hades to the NO! Same thing almost happened to me last month when I got senegalese. Sister tried to use a a thin tooth comb and jerk a hair dryer thru my already detangled ng. Yeah I know I aint had a perm since June but you aint gone tear up my head neither. I turned around and looked at her and told her, "no no I will do it, you're too rough". She acted like she didn't hear me but I was persistent. No one is responsible for my hair but me so I aint gonna pay you $200+ to rip out my hair and sit still for it! And if they try to do it tight I stop them immediately and say so. MY hair, My money, MY way.

Black Ambrosia

I'm amazed that so many people accept this kind of treatment. I haven't been to an african shop in years because of the rough handling and poor customer service. I honestly think a lot of them (not all but many) look down on AA and enjoy the abusive treatment of our hair. I liken it to the number of asian beauty shops that depend on AA for their livelihood but then eye their customers like they are all thieves.

Maybe its a new york thing but I'm not going to raise my voice and show them that I mean business. I'm going to get up and leave and they will never see a dime of my money.