Going Natural Soon After the Wedding

ms_kenesha

Hey everyone,

I've always said to myself that I was going to go natural during my pregnancy (whenever that happened) so that my hair would grow fast & I wouldn't have to go through the TWA phase because I think I have a big head, but I think right after the honeymoon I'm going to start transitioning and soon after that doing the Big Chop.

I call myself a 4A/B, but I want to really feel my natural texture. I look at my pictures of myself as a young child and I think my hair couldn't have been that bad. I also miss the thickness my hair used to have and looking at people like Asha97 and Skeegeemb just makes me yearn again for that voluminous cloud of hair I once had.

I belive that with all of the information I've learned and am learning from here I can grow my hair back to the length it is now and even healthier within two years of my big chop. I was standing in line at McDonald's and there was this girl with a leather pageboy hat and this huge brown afro-puff ponytail and I was just wishing it was me. The only thing I'm truly scared about is shrinkage.

I know this is long, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while.

smile.gif

Good luck, girl. I have also thought about transitioning after finding this board and seeing all the beautiful natural heads
smile.gif

Good for you i missed my thickness too (although my relaxed hair was too) but i get what youre saying. are you getting a retouch b4 your wedding? and have you told your future hubby? Well regardless of what he says....Congrats!!!!!!!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

welllllllllcome kenesha to the transitioners club. its gets rough but stay in there!

im so tempted to get a relaxer but i want my thick hair back too! then i see relaxed hair like adrienne's and i want to relax, then i see asha's hair and i want to stay natural...ahhh, good luck anyway girl!
smile.gif

Thanks everyone for the moral support.

Ayeshia, like you people say my relaxed hair is thick, but I know it's nothing compared to what it was.
smile.gif

Honeydrop, I know transitioning will be tough which is why I kind of think that I'm going to end up just cutting it all off soon after the wedding.

I wanted to add that my fiance was very instrumental in this decision. I was telling him aboutthe thread on the OT board "Do Black Men Like Natural Hair" and he said you're all up in arms about it, yet you have relaxed hair so you can't say much about it in the negative. I agreed somewhat reluctantly, but him saying that made me feel like I need to at least try being natural once so that I can have a legitimate opinion. (this is not to say that if you are relaxed and outraged at that thread you're not legitimately so) But I don't want to just talk about it I want to be about it!
smile.gif

Congratulations!!
smile.gif

For me, it's been a challenge to grow it out, because I get bored - really bored - with having two textures, making it weird to wear it down w/o using heat. But I love my natural hair. I'm a 4b, with 5-6 inches of new growth the rest relaxed, and combing and etc. isn't really a problem. What I really really want though is a head full of thick natural hair. I feel so jealous when I see album's like dreamyB's especially since as a child, I had exactly the hair I want now.

And the shrinkage makes me wait longer. Ah well, eventually I will have the hair I want!

congratulations on your decision to transition. What kind of hairstyles do you plan on trying once you become natural?

Wowzers. What a big decision, eh? Well, I can't wait to see how it works out for you. I'm confident that you'll do well and I can't wait to see your progress! I only wish I had the strength and courage to chop it all off...

Congratulations on your decision...I know it will be worth it...you have plenty of support here too in order to do it with the least amount of frustration and anxiety.

Best wishes.

clap.gif
clap.gif
kisses.gif
kisses.gif

Kenesha!!!

You know that I am thrilled that you have decided to transition to natural. When we met, I thought that you had healthy hair. Now, we will have natural hair in common. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Everyone here has been a major help and a delight to know...

Good luck, girl and congrats again on your wedding!

Hope to see you soon,

LON71
kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Hey everyone,

I've always said to myself that I was going to go natural during my pregnancy (whenever that happened) so that my hair would grow fast & I wouldn't have to go through the TWA phase because I think I have a big head, but I think right after the honeymoon I'm going to start transitioning and soon after that doing the Big Chop.

I call myself a 4A/B, but I want to really feel my natural texture. I look at my pictures of myself as a young child and I think my hair couldn't have been that bad. I also miss the thickness my hair used to have and looking at people like Asha97 and Skeegeemb just makes me yearn again for that voluminous cloud of hair I once had.

I belive that with all of the information I've learned and am learning from here I can grow my hair back to the length it is now and even healthier within two years of my big chop. I was standing in line at McDonald's and there was this girl with a leather pageboy hat and this huge brown afro-puff ponytail and I was just wishing it was me. The only thing I'm truly scared about is shrinkage.

I know this is long, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no your're fine. I was the same way you were about looking at the pics when you were younger. I look at my pics whenever i get to go to my grandma's house and i think, "my hair wasn't looking that eveil" to hear my mom tell the story, my hair was a lion needing to be tamed. (which by the way she says is the reason for first putting chemicals in my hair when i was 6--to make it easier to comb
crazy.gif
)good luck
smile.gif
my husband is supportive of my decision to transition, but then his obnoxious butt had the nerve to say he didn't know if a twa would flatter me because of my big head
look.gif
but he thinks it will look cute once it gets bigger
smirk.gif
--i told him he can adjust his eyes to seeing me cause i'm doing it regardless of my apple head:
laugh.gif
we was just jealous cause his hair won't EVER be a fro
grin.gif
heheheh --evil laugh-- Good Luck
wink.gif

I can't tell you from experience that even if you do the Big Chop it will grow soooooooooooooo fast it will shock you!!! I had no idea my hair would grow that fast! I mainly just used water and aloe vera gel to slick it back once it was long enough to put back into a decent size puffy/curly pig tail! And of course it was really easy and carefree when I first did the Big Chop. NOW..........the hardest part for me was that awful in-between time when it was too long to be a cute wavy/curly fro (the shorter my hair is the more it waves, behaves, lays down) but the longer it gets the more it curls and coils! So when I couldn't yet put it in a slicked back puffy piggie tail style, but it was too long, big, puffy to be short and chic, that was awful!!! That was when I wanted to get braids or something but I was in a bet - $100 that I'd keep my hair natural for a full year with no braids, no weaves, no nothing - just my hair! Needless to say, I won and kept it natural another 2 years with no bet! I just loved it and of course by then it had grown out and beautiful. So just know that it will be gorgeous and you'll have plenty of fun with it!

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
clap.gif
clap.gif
kisses.gif
kisses.gif

Kenesha!!!

You know that I am thrilled that you have decided to transition to natural. When we met, I thought that you had healthy hair. Now, we will have natural hair in common. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Everyone here has been a major help and a delight to know...

Good luck, girl and congrats again on your wedding!

Hope to see you soon,

LON71
kiss.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair also helped me in my decision I don't know if we have the same hair texture, but I think you have gorgeous hair!

It seems like now that I've made the decision God has been showing me all of these beautiful women with natural hair...on campus today I swear I saw at least 5-10 women with lovely natural hair ( I know 5-10 doesn't seem like a lot but on a college campus with a minority black pop. it is
smile.gif
)

Don't worry LON71, I will definitely be asking for your help and advice!
kiss.gif

Thank you so much and please do keep me posted! Yes, on campus it is rare that you see naturals, but in the D.C. area, they're EVERYWHERE!!!!

Hooray!

Back