Going No poo/Curly Girl: Can I Still Use Aussie Moist Products??

Ms. Martina

Hey everyone! I am looking into starting the CG/no poo method and I was wondering if I would be able to use my Aussie Moist conditioners. I use both the regular Aussie Moist, and the 3 Minute Miracle deep conditioner. I especially love the deep conditioner. Would I have to give these products up? Also, before starting the CG method, do I need to clarify my hair to get rid of any cones?

Thanks

EllePixie

Aussie products aren't CG. However, you can do a modified CG routine and cleanse the cone with a shampoo or cleansing conditioner that contains coco betaine. I'm modified-CG, I don't use sulfates and I stay away from the cones that are harder to get out, but my hair likes to be shampooed weekly.

Your Cheeziness

@Embyra,

In what ways? So many people rave about it. What did it do for your hair? How long have you been following the routine?

I gave it the side-eye many times until I tried it. But, I was on it by accident. I just looked up and noticed my hair was bouncier, softer, and retaining moisture noticeably better. I checked to see what I was using and they were CG friendly. I found that I hadn't used shampoo in a couple of months before I noticed a big difference.

It's not that shampoo is bad for my hair, I just notice a difference when I don't use it for a while.

Embyra

@Embyra,

In what ways? So many people rave about it. What did it do for your hair? How long have you been following the routine?

hey@Nasdaq_Divai started late feb so its been about 6 weeks
my hair clumps much better now
MUCH less frizz
defined curls

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=527021 my pics here you can see only when wet /damp would my curls be visible when dry POOF high FRIZZ no curl no nothing......now i understand that not every ''type'' of hair is going to have curl definition but to me the FRIZZ i had compared to someone whose hair naturally doesnt have curl definition is not the same
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=536447 in my big chop pics my hair is dry with tresmme naturals con used as a ''leave in''

before going cg if i used only that on my hair:nono: on naturallycurly there is a thread showing the before and afters its dramatic

for some people myself included the results really are shocking but im sure some people wont see a difference either way

i would say try it and see cg doesnt have to be expensive or complicated

Last edited:

silenttullip

Just wanted to YAY you about starting CG
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never thought I'd say that cause of my scalp
but it likes it too :)

Ms. Martina

Thanks ladies, we will see how this goes! I big chopped a few hours ago and my hair looks horrible. I guess that's what I get for doing a BC on April fool's day.... :(

SmilingElephant

I'm gonna start the CG method this weekend. I finished up my cone laced products today.

But Friday I'm gonna do my sulfate wash and give the CG a 3 month go :yep:

I've been doing wash n go's everyday so my hair stays feeling plush. I wanna see if going CG will help tame my frizz a little bc it can get outta control sometimes. :nono:

I have my CG products on deck!

silenttullip

CG is the curly girl method when u use conditioner without silicones as your cleanser or a no poo shampoo without sulfates. All your other products don't have cones. 3 main steps, cleanse gentle shampoo sulfate free or conditioner, condition cone free, gel clear and cone free. Give it a search if u want more info it's really great for many.

^^Yeah can someone explain this CG thing?

Evolving78

i tried the CG method on accident and it really didn't work for me. the conditioners weren't thick enough or didn't add enough slip to my hair. i recently started back using cones and shampoos with sulfate in them.

but i hope it works out for you OP! i might give it another go down the line.

vkb247

I've pretty much been CG my whole journey because my hair used to be chronically dry - mostly from using shampoo. In the last year or two I started using bar soaps/poos occasionally otherwise my scalp will get itchy especially in my crown area. My hair behaves more than I ever thought possible. I can slack on dc's, can use only oil (when straight) or mostly oil and a little conditioner (when curly with gel) and my hair maintains a good moisture level. Trust me - cg made my hair life so much simpler, I used to avoid dealing with my hair but not anymore.

When it come to pooing/cowashing, different silicones act different ways:

Silicone

Water soluble?

Recommended cleansing agents

Dimethicone

No

SLS, SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, ALS, or ALES

Dimethiconol

No

Phenyl Trimethicone

No

Amodimethicone

No

Cyclomethicone

No

cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, other mild surfactants, or conditioner washing

PEG-modified dimethicone

Yes

cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, other mild surfactants, or conditioner washing

Dimethicone copolyol

Yes

Some other ingredients that might give build up problems without poo or sulfates:
Mineral oil/paraffinum liquidum
castor oil
waxes or impure oils
polyquat 7 & 10
Denat. alcohol
SD alcohol 40
Witch hazel
Isopropanol
ethanol
SD alcohol
Propanol
Propyl alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol

If anyone is interested in cg and has never cowashed or feel cowashing isn't for them, try to rinse your hair really well before applying the conditioner. If you use gel or other stylers rinse even more. If your worried about water swelling your hair you can still pre poo with an oil before cowashing without any problems.