naturals.....color

BLESSED1

Hi, question for the naturals who color/have colored there hair....I'm looking for a hair dye that doesn't have any harsh chemicals (like ammonia, bleach)...saw a girl on the OurHair board w/ an eggplant-colored fro and I must have that color :drool: I'm not interested in using henna...I've used Creme of Nature dye all the time when I was relaxed but I think it has some chemicals in it that will prob. be too strong for my natural hair....TIA for your suggestions :yep:

Belle Du Jour

I've used Jazzing and Beautiful Collection (both semi perm), Natural Instincts (demi-perm), textures and tones (perm). I had a good experience with all of them. Since I'm back to black, I'll stick with Natural Instincts since it lasts longer than the semi perm colors. But T&T was very gentle for a semi perm color, and I believe it has no ammonia. As far as I can tell, my hair wasn't damaged from any of these colors.

BLESSED1

classimami713 said:
I've used Jazzing and Beautiful Collection (both semi perm), Natural Instincts (demi-perm), textures and tones (perm). I had a good experience with all of them. Since I'm back to black, I'll stick with Natural Instincts since it lasts longer than the semi perm colors. But T&T was very gentle for a semi perm color, and I believe it has no ammonia. As far as I can tell, my hair wasn't damaged from any of these colors.

I've heard positive things about the T & T before....although I think I may have used that years ago but it the color didn't really take....but maybe they have a new formula I don't know.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between semi & demi permanant :confused:

Country gal

I am really tempted to color my hair. It is now jet black. I want my hair to grow longer first before coloring. I am thinking of a dark reddish brown.

Belle Du Jour

BLESSED1 said:
I've heard positive things about the T & T before....although I think I may have used that years ago but it the color didn't really take....but maybe they have a new formula I don't know.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between semi & demi permanant :confused:

A demi perm. color is still not permanent ( so it won't lift your color to say blond) but it lasts longer than a semi perm. (28 washings I believe?)

atl_mulattamami

I haven't colored my hair yet but I plan on it when it gets a bit longer. I plan on using the Aveda hair dye because it doesn't contain the harsh chemicals. I don't remember the exact percentage but some of the dyes are like 98% natural.

BLESSED1

classimami713 said:
A demi perm. color is still not permanent ( so it won't lift your color to say blond) but it lasts longer than a semi perm. (28 washings I believe?)

oh okay I never knew that :p

BLESSED1

Country gal said:
I am really tempted to color my hair. It is now jet black. I want my hair to grow longer first before coloring. I am thinking of a dark reddish brown.

Oh that would be nice esp. for the fall. I used to have that color back in my relaxed days, and I loved when I dyed my hair auburn

BLESSED1

cookie507 said:
I haven't colored my hair yet but I plan on it when it gets a bit longer. I plan on using the Aveda hair dye because it doesn't contain the harsh chemicals. I don't remember the exact percentage but some of the dyes are like 98% natural.

cookie, where are you going to buy the aveda dye from? I haven't seen it in any stores here, although I could check trade secret (i make a beeline for the nexus when I go there so I don't notice any of the other brands they carry). Can you get it online?

Soleado

I recommend going to a salon and getting an Aveda color. I have done so in the past and just got my hair recolored this past Saturday and I can say it is the only brand for me. The colors are very rich and long lasting and they don't tear my hair up like some brands can do.

Ayeshia

I did highlights and my hair is fuine so far...either Ive been taking care of it really well....OR my hair can handle color. Anyway if you want the eggplant color you are going to have to lighten your hair to a point where you can see the eggplant. Theres really no way around it. If you are afraid of damge I would suggest getting it professionally highlighted or lightened to the degree that you want. And then use a plum rinse to go over your hair :)

BLESSED1

Gosh I may have to drag my butt into a salon for the first time in 7 years....my cousin is a hairdresser, I'll talk to her and see if I can get an appointment, thanks ladies