Good for Hair Essential Oils

talata

Hi Ladies,

Any recommendations for essential oils that are good for maintaining healthy hair and also for growth?

I've heard about Peppermint being great for stimulating the scalp.

Any other ones you'd recommend? And how do you apply them?

NigerianGirl

I thought that maybe grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil would be in addition to what you already named.... I usually use them to seal my ends or in my moisturizing spray with filtered water and peppermint oil....

loolalooh

Rosemary oil - stimulates hair growth as well.
Lavendar oil - balances the scalp's sebum.

ETA: I mixed these with peppermint oil and dilute with water. Then I spritz it on my scalp. Once in a while I dilute them in jojoba oil and apply.

Last edited:

vestaluv1

Basil: treats oily hair, promotes growth

Cedarwood: treatment for greasy hair, dandruff, promotes new hair growth

Chamomile: fine to normal hair, gives golden highlights
Clary sage: for all types of hair, dandruff treatment

Horsetail: increases elasticity of the hair

Jojoba: treats damaged, brittle hair and helps prevent split ends

Lavender: antibacterial, promotes new hair growth, scalp treatment for itchiness, dandruff, and even lice :look:!

Lemon: treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Myrrh: for dry hair, treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Patchouli: dandruff treatment
Peppermint: stimulant, promotes hair growth

Rose: for fine hair, soothes scalp

Rosemary: astrigent, antiseptic, treatment for dandruff, thinning hair

Sandalwood: for a silky shine

Tea Tree:
antibacterial/antiseptic, anti-fungal, dandruff treatment

Thyme:
promotes new hair growth (and safely and effectively treat temporary hair loss due to alopecia areata).

Ylang Ylang: helps hair growth, dandruff treatment

talata

Lavender: antibacterial, promotes new hair growth, scalp treatment for itchiness, dandruff, and even lice :look:!

Lemon: treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Myrrh: for dry hair, treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Tea Tree:
antibacterial/antiseptic, anti-fungal, dandruff treatment

Thyme:
promotes new hair growth (and safely and effectively treat temporary hair loss due to alopecia areata).

Wow thanks. Thats a pretty exhaustive list.

Which of them do u use yourself? and how are mixing and applying them?

-

vestaluv1

-

ATM, I'm only using a few drops of tea tree in my hot oil treatments.
Once I get paid tomorrow :look:, I'll be getting some grapeseed and jojoba oil to use as a part of my own detangler (I'll be mixing with distilled water, glycerine and aloe vera gel)

Also, I'll be getting thyme, cedarwood, lavendar and rosemary: I wan't to make my own leave in with these ingredients.

Platinum

-

You should use a carrier oil with the EO's. Using peppermint oil straight can cause severe headaches. Olive Oil, Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil, and Sweet Almond oil are good examples.

InnerSoul

I currently use the following carrier oil/essential mixes...

-sweet almond oil w/ peppermint oil
-sweet almond oil w/ rose absolute and jojoba oil
-EVOO w/ texas cedarwood
-Jamaican Black castor oil w/ rosemary essential oil

I just bought the 100% jojoba oil and the rosemary essential oil(I put this in my JBCO). My hair and roots love all I mentioned above. Essential/carrier oils are of great use to hair's health. You can even rub carrier oils on your skin too. There is so much you can do with oils. Creativity is the key!

Last edited:

Nonie

Do essential oils grow hair?

The answer would be yes! Many of essential oils have a very good effect on hair growth. They stimulate the hair follicles to grow faster.
What makes hair is slowing or falling out ?
It may be caused by stress, medications, hormonal changes, Alopecia, or other undiagnosed medical conditions. Your hair is like a health barometer and can be affected by diet, illness, medication and environmental factors.
Aromatherapy has been used successfully by some people to treat thinning hair and bald patches. Some essential oils can also stimulate the hair follicles and help promote healthy hair growth.
You can make an aromatherapy infusion that you apply directly to your hair, or create a hair and scalp massage oil. An additional hair treatment is made by adding herbal essential oil to your shampoo or conditioner. This is a very simple way to create a wonderful product that works wonders on your hair.
What do essential oils that can help grow hair?

Basil
is a beneficial herb that stimulates and promotes hair growth. One can easily make Basil hair oil to massage into the scalp. This massage promotes healing, health, and improves scalp circulation which, in turn, promotes hair growth. Basil is good when used together with fenugreek and ivy burdock herbs.

Rosemary
has effect in stimulating the hair-bulbs to renewed activity and preventing premature baldness.

Arnica
A hair rinse prepared with arnica extract has been used to treat alopecia neurotica.

Sage
A strong infusion of sage used as a hair rinse may darken hair color and help reduce hair loss.

Bay
helps your hair grow. If you have dull hair, this essential oils can restore it. It also good for dandruff problem. For stimulating your hair health you can add three drops of bay essential oil to the shampoo you regularly uses.
The best carrier oil to choose would be jojoba oils.

Jojoba oils
has healing properties for damaged and breaking hair. This truly is one of the best carrier oils for hair loss due to breakage.
You can try by adding 4 – 10 drops of essential oils mention with 1 ounce of jojoba oils or other carrier oil of your choice.
Heat the hair oil by placing the bottle of oil in a bowl of hot water. Apply the oil to the scalp and massage through the rest of the hair.
Or you can try this hair tonic blend :

HAIR LOSS TONIC
Ingredient :
  • 10 drops of Rosemary
  • 10 drops of lavender
  • 5 drops of basil
  • 4 ounce of jojoba oils.
This blend should give your hair a nice shine and also helps the body to stimulate growth.
Blend well in an amber bottle and massage a few drops into your scalp at night or apply them on your hair brush and brush your hair thouroughly.

Blends Recipe for Hair Growth:
  • 2 drops Thyme essential oil ( Thymus vulgaris )
  • 2 drops Atlas cedarwood essential oil ( Cedrus atlantica )
  • 3 drops Lavender essential oil( Lavandula angustifolia )
  • 3 drops Rosemary essential oil ( Rosmarinus officinalis )
  • 3 ml teaspoon Jojoba oil
  • 20 ml Grapeseed oil
Mix well thyme, cedarwood,lavender, and rosemary essential oils into a small glass jar. After that add the remaining carrier oils. Mix thoroughly.
Massage this recipe into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment to enhance absorption.

Isabelle C. Hay and colleagues from the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary in Scotland gave 84 people, suffering from alopecia areata, a type of hair loss that causes patchy baldness.
They asked them to rub the essential oils recipe above into their scalps daily. After seven months, 44% of them has regrew as much as half of their hair, while a few regrew almost all of their hair back.

Reference:Hay I, et al. Randomized trial of aromatherapy—successful treatment for alopecia areata. Arch Dermatol 1998;134:1349-52. Click here for further reading.

Personally I would suggested to use this blend recipe by massage it into your scalp once daily, leave on the scalp for an hour before wash it. Take the blend for about 2 weeks, then take a week break before restarting again.

By using pure essential oils that promote hair growth, you may soon see that your hair becomes thicker, more luxurious, and radiant.

Beside, in this article you can check for more essential oils that can be used in hair care.

Want to have a healthy hair?
Achieving great-looking healthy hair with aromatherapy is not difficult, nor does it need to be expensive. With a few drops of essential oils, herbs, and flowers, you can create a variety of treatments that your hair will respond to quickly.

[Other] Aromatherapy blends recipes.
Hints, tips, aromatherapy recipes and ideas for using essen
Source: http://www.aromatherapy-at-home.com/doessentialoilsgrowhair.html

talata

When I used shampoo I added 15 drops to an 8oz. bottle.

Cool, that gives me an idea. Since I'm not a huge fun of shampoos - i do co-washes and ayurvedic powder rinses most of the time - I will be putting a few drops in them. I guess that'll make me feel a little better knowing I've got something in there to take care of any crawlies that may apply:grin:.

I've got quite a few bottles of Tea tree sitting around because of my carzy blemish prone skin.

Tylers-mom

My friend makes a great "Rapunzel Oil"...it has organic burdock root for softness, meadowfoam seed, jojoba oil, broccoli seed oil, organic rosemary, lavendar and carrot seed oil. It's preserved with natural vitamin E..no parbens or chemicals. You can purchase it here :

www.bodyblessingsshop.com

I use it for many things...mainly to add into my conditioner when pre-pooing. I also seal my ends with it when they are parched. :drunk:

Last edited:

talata

Ok, so I'm guessing these are you top picks - thyme, cedarwood, lavendar and rosemary. Maybe I should consider those for my collection. Any particular reason why u are picking these?

Once I get paid tomorrow :look:, I'll be getting some grapeseed and jojoba oil to use as a part of my own detangler (I'll be mixing with distilled water, glycerine and aloe vera gel)

Also, I'll be getting thyme, cedarwood, lavendar and rosemary: I wan't to make my own leave in with these ingredients.

MysteryMe

Tea Tree: antibacterial/antiseptic, anti-fungal, dandruff treatment

Thyme: promotes new hair growth (and safely and effectively treat temporary hair loss due to alopecia areata).

Thanks for the list!

Aggie

vestaluv1, these are my favorite essential oils and I also like peppermint essential oil as well.

vestaluv1

Ok, so I'm guessing these are you top picks - thyme, cedarwood, lavendar and rosemary. Maybe I should consider those for my collection. Any particular reason why u are picking these?

The main reasons why i'm using these is that all but rosemary (that I know of) promote new hair growth! Tea tree is a good oil for antiseptic properties, but is a bit strong and rosemary is also an antiseptic/astringent. Also, I have very thin hair, so rosemary should be good for this.
Oh...and they smell good!
I love peppermint oil too..its strong but smells :lick: and is good for stimulating the scalp.

talata

The main reasons why i'm using these is that all but rosemary (that I know of) promote new hair growth! Tea tree is a good oil for antiseptic properties, but is a bit strong and rosemary is also an antiseptic/astringent. Also, I have very thin hair, so rosemary should be good for this.
Oh...and they smell good!
I love peppermint oil too..its strong but smells :lick: and is good for stimulating the scalp.

Thanks girl. I just ordered these online: thyme, cedarwood, lavendar, peppermint, rosemary, plus some jojoba, avacado and grapeseed oil. I've already got the tea tree and some castor oil.

I got them from http://www.healthgenesis.com/ they seem to have the best prizes I've come across so far for most oils. esp the NOW FOODS brand.

---

Aggie

How are you using your oils, Aggie.

I mix my rosemary and peppermint essential oils in my Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder, along with some moisturizer, almond oil and grapeseed oil. I also add the EO to my poos and conditioners. I like to add them to my MN, Sulumax and BT growth aid as well. Almost everything I put on my hair has them in it. I don't put EO in my daily hair moisturizers, but they are great in my co-washes and deep conditioners.

My staple essential oils are cedarwood, lavender, rosemary, thyme, peppermint, tea-tree, ylang ylang, and jasmine absolute.

vestaluv1

I mix my rosemary and peppermint essential oils in my Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder, along with some moisturizer, almond oil and grapeseed oil. I also add the EO to my poos and conditioners. I like to add them to my MN, Sulumax and BT growth aid as well. Almost everything I put on my hair has them in it. I don't put EO in my daily hair moisturizers, but they are great in my co-washes and deep conditioners.

My staple essential oils are cedarwood, lavender, rosemary, thyme, peppermint, tea-tree, ylang ylang, and jasmine absolute.

Ok Aggie, we got too much in common now. The only one I don't use is jasmine though.

charmtreese

My favorite EO is grapefruit. It is claimed to promote hair growth. I put grapefruit EO in my WGHO and in grapeseed oil.

talata

I was always weary about using Tea Tree oil in my hair. I use it to disinfect my oily skin and control the production excess sebum. I always thought that meant it would dry out my hair.

How many drops will u add to your shampoo for one wash?

-