Good Hair Care = Hair Length?

Because I am following a healthy hair regime...

• I have noticed growth and think I will acheive my goal

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I have noticed growth but I think that no matter what I do my hair won't get any longer

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have not noticed the growth I want and am dissapointed

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Ihave not noticed the growth I want but I will perservere

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CenteredGirl

For those still looking to achieve their length goals: just wondering if you think that the good hair care habits you've adoped along your journey will pay off to your goal length

Qualitee

I would say protein and moisture balance, Deep conditioning, Moisturizing and seal hair most importantly my ends. Protective styling, Not using direct heat all the time, Vitamins for hair and boundless tresses:grin:
My hair is so healthy now and I love it. I know i'll be wsl in 1 1/2 years:yep:

ladylibra

when i was relaxed/texlaxed, my hair would get close to APL and then suddenly the ends would split like crazy. so i'd cut to above shoulder and start all over again. :perplexed obviously my hair grew, but it seemed anything past APL was impossible because my ends just couldn't handle it. also, my hair wasn't totally even. i had broken hairs in the front from pulling my hair back in a ponytail all the time. so parts of the front were chin-length. :look:

now, the front of my natural hair (stretched) is almost APL. my goal was to see if i could grow my hair longer than APL, and in the back it is BSL. so any way you look at it, i have been sucessful. my hair is healthier, and now longer. and i am confident that it will continue to stay healthy and grow longer. :yep:

ellebelle88

I am getting so frustrated taking care of my hair. I almost want to give up. I am experiencing horrible breakage and I have a major setback at least once a month. I know that its partly due on my behalf. For instance, I blowdry to often which is wreaking havoc on my ends. But I just got braids in because I went to the beach and when I took them out, my hair was so matted that I thought I was going to be bald when I finished.

For some reason it seems that I'm doing a worse job actually trying to care for my hair than when I didn't even know any better. Or it could be the fact that I'm just paying attention to my hair more. Let's hope its the latter. *sighs*

MzOptimistic

Yes. It has gotten me from slightly touching my shoulders to BSB and I will make my hair goal of Midback by December of this year, if not sooner:grin:

MzOptimistic

I am getting so frustrated taking care of my hair. I almost want to give up. I am experiencing horrible breakage and I have a major setback at least once a month. I know that its partly due on my behalf. For instance, I blowdry to often which is wreaking havoc on my ends. But I just got braids in because I went to the beach and when I took them out, my hair was so matted that I thought I was going to be bald when I finished.

For some reason it seems that I'm doing a worse job actually trying to care for my hair than when I didn't even know any better. Or it could be the fact that I'm just paying attention to my hair more. Let's hope its the latter. *sighs*

I don't mean to get in your business but it sounds like to me your hair would benefit from laying off of the heat and putting your hair up in protective styles and I'm not talking braids.

New Suggested Routine

Wash and deep condition every 3 days for a month~ Rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein conditioner (motions cpr treatment)

You can continue to wash and deep condition longer than a month if you wish, but for now, that will suffice, due to your breakage.

After the month of rotating between light proten conditioners and moisturizing conditioners. Proceed to deep condition once a week.....

Example Every day routine

Wash Hair, deep condition, rinse, apply leave in, lightly pull hair back into a ponytail, apply Profective Healthy Ends, black castor oil or regular oil to the entire length of your hair and then baggie. (You can buy accessories to put over the baggies, like bun covers, which can be purchased on ebay) You can even add a swoop bang if you like.......You can either leave this style in for 2-3 days at a time. Just make sure to moisturize your hair daily with a spray mist or you can take it down everynight and re-do it. However you choose....

These are just examples, if you want some help with your regimen. Just pm me and let me know:grin: I gurantee you, following this regimen and adding other things into the equation. You will be seeing more progress in no time. My motto is....what goes up must come down:yep: Protective Styling!!!!!

Last edited:

CenteredGirl

From the 19 responses, 99% are positive. I think we can safely say that we can acheive length with the RIGHT regimen. Gives me even more reason to be positive!:yep:

Country gal

Good hair care to me equals healthy hair first. The bonus is retaining lenght as the result of not have splitting ends or breakage.

ellebelle88

I don't mean to get in your business but it sounds like to me your hair would benefit from laying off of the heat and putting your hair up in protective styles and I'm not talking braids.

New Suggested Routine

Wash and deep condition every 3 days for a month~ Rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein conditioner (motions cpr treatment)

You can continue to wash and deep condition longer than a month if you wish, but for now, that will suffice, due to your breakage.

After the month of rotating between light proten conditioners and moisturizing conditioners. Proceed to deep condition once a week.....

Wash Hair, deep condition, rinse, apply leave in, lightly pull hair back into a ponytail, apply Profective Healthy Ends, black castor oil or regular oil to the entire length of your hair and then baggie. (You can buy accessories to put over the baggies, like bun covers, which can be purchased on ebay) You can even add a swoop bang if you like.......You can either leave this style in for 2-3 days at a time. Just make sure to moisturize your hair daily with a spray mist or you can take it down everynight and re-do it. However you choose....

These are just examples, if you want some help with your regimen. Just pm me and let me know:grin: I gurantee you, following this regimen and adding other things into the equation. You will be seeing more progress in no time. My motto is....what goes up must come down:yep: Protective Styling!!!!!

Tsmith, I am glad you are all up in my "business." I wouldn't be on this forum, if I minded. lol. But you are absolutely right. I really do need to lay off on the heat. However, even when I go 3 weeks without heat, I get horrible breakage issues. I'm going to try what you suggest on the different conditioners to use. Daily cowashing is something that I will try this summer, being that I'm now in college I really don't have the time. But I am going to send you a PM because you seem to have gone through this.

freshlikemoi

I am so fustrated with this hair of mine. I def. notice the thickness..whoo chile am I happy with that, but for some reason I feel like my hair should be growing faster...

Hell I'm bout to have a break down ..I'm running to family dollar to get me so MN...I need 2 inches before June 14th....and my scalp aint tryna hear all that...:ohwell:

loolalooh

Yes, most definitely. It takes time though. First I had to get the health part down entirely. Now I'm able to focus more on length retention.

Lucky's Mom

I am so fustrated with this hair of mine. I def. notice the thickness..whoo chile am I happy with that, but for some reason I feel like my hair should be growing faster...

Hell I'm bout to have a break down ..I'm running to family dollar to get me so MN...I need 2 inches before June 14th....and my scalp aint tryna hear all that...:ohwell:

don't worry - you will get there honey

lollyoo

This is the first time i can confidently say yes in a long time, but to me I have to say the credit has got to be low manipulation and protective styling.
Moisture, protein balance and moisturisation is all good, but I still had problem retaining until I started low manipulation and protective styling. Although not APL yet, but I am past shoulder length and I have not been past shoulder length in the last 10 yrs.
apl 08, here I come.

charmtreese

Good hair care does equal length, however I had to learn the hard way that good hair care for one person may not be good hair care for everyone. The toughest part for me was learning what Good Hair Care products & methods worked for me & my hair.

Mrs.Green

Tsmith, I am glad you are all up in my "business." I wouldn't be on this forum, if I minded. lol. But you are absolutely right. I really do need to lay off on the heat. However, even when I go 3 weeks without heat, I get horrible breakage issues. I'm going to try what you suggest on the different conditioners to use. Daily cowashing is something that I will try this summer, being that I'm now in college I really don't have the time. But I am going to send you a PM because you seem to have gone through this.

Can i get in your business for a minute?? :look:

I'm just cosigning what Tsmith said. My hair broke alot even if i didn't do anything to it. For me it was lack of moisture. The co-washing will definately help with breakage and moisture, moisture, moisture. It doesn't take time to co-wash just do it in while in the shower then moisturize and throw in a wet ponytail. I braid the end and throw a scarf on till the morning I wear a curly pin up everyday or a bun. I haven't used heat in 2 months. Don't miss it and my hair LOVES it. I get NO breakage just the usually shedding. Hope that helps.

phyl73

For the past 6 months, I've been treating my hair like a nre born baby. It is soooo much more healthier. As long as I see progress, I will continue.

BreZn

Good hair care does equal length, however I had to learn the hard way that good hair care for one person may not be good hair care for everyone. The toughest part for me was learning what Good Hair Care products & methods worked for me & my hair.
ITA!!I have a Thyroid condition my hair is F/T and after having good growth some"bandwagons" I jumped on worked well while others were damaging for me. l lost some length and thickness before learning/listening to what MY hair needs to retain healthy length.

Queen V

I'm very confident that healthy hair practices will result in the achievement of my hair goals. Knowledge is power, and having spent twenty-seven years without knowing how to take care of my hair properly, I never really gave my hair a chance to thrive. Now that I know, I have the opportunity to turn things around and allow it to grow and to retain that growth.

miami74

New Suggested Routine

Very good advice!

soonergirl

My hair has improved leaps and bounds due to everyday protective styling(flexi-8, or good day hair clips) and co washing!!!

skyborn09

Of course my hair has done a complete 360 degrees...at first I thought it was impossible to grow my hair or make it look decent but now I love my hair and I can't keep my fingers outta it. But I will say it took me some time to find a regimen and the right products and techniques that work for my hair. :grin:

Rollersetting, blowing out roots and Elasta QP products have saved my hair ...THANK YOU JESUS! :lachen: