GOOD hair salon experiences.

swannie

We have all had horrific experiences with hair stylists. How about great ones? I have two:

Last year, I went to the salon near campus for a touch up. Taking out the rollers, my stylist said that I desperately needed a trim (she was right). However, I only bought enough for a touch up so I said I would trim it next time. She acquieced at first but after a few minutes of arranging my hair she said that although she realized I could not pay, she would trim it pro bono. Trims cost $15 at this salon. I was eternally grateful.

At my usual salon in NY, the father of the owner once allowed me to defer payment for two days. The owner and her father are both Christians -as am I- and the father reasoned that if I didn't pay, my conscience before God would be troubled. Now, all the stylists there get generous tips from me and I will continue to stay with them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS. My hair turned out great both times too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I got my first relaxer around 1982. I did all the wrong things for my hair because I believed everything hairstylists and magazines said. By the mid 90's my hair was incredibly dry and a weird red/auburn color. It was neck length despite not having a major cut in years. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I moved to Atlanta and went to my friend's stylist for a touch up. I took my trusty tub of Hawaiian Silky No Lye just in case they didn't have any. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif The stylist refused to use it. She gave me some basic hair info and then gave me a corrective relaxer (applied a lye relaxer from root to tip) and my hair looked AWESOME!!!!! When my friend came to pick me up she thought I was wearing a glossy wig. The black rinse she gave me bled all over my clothes for several days, but that's another story. /images/graemlins/grin.gif One day I insisted on getting the latest 'do called "Frog's Legs" (sorta crimped looking and it required buckets of spritz). Thankfully, she talked me out of it. /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

I probably could have grown my hair out with her, but I was determined to keep my bob. Eventually she moved to California. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

caress

[ QUOTE ]
Last year, I went to the salon near campus for a touch up. Taking out the rollers, my stylist said that I desperately needed a trim (she was right). However, I only bought enough for a touch up so I said I would trim it next time. She acquieced at first but after a few minutes of arranging my hair she said that although she realized I could not pay, she would trim it pro bono. Trims cost $15 at this salon. I was eternally grateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

swannie, is this salon in Philly? If so which one? Also, have you gone there since? If so do you still like it? Anyone else you know go there? Sorry so many questions. /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

swannie

Hi Caress, the salon is called Chaos and I believe it's located on 21st and Chestnut. I am a senior now and I've had my hair retouched there several times since freshman year. I haven't gone for a while though. My home salon is cheaper and I like the results better. My school used to have coupons for Chaos but for some reason Chaos does not provide coupons anymore. Nevertheless, I liked the place. The stylists there were super punctual and the results were great. One of my other friends use to go there religiously before she graduated as well. On the downside, the stylists there blow dry hair immediately after washing whereas my home salon did rollersets. Hope this helps! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

caress

Thanks swannie. I think my best salon experience was at Eunique Experience in North Philly. When I first went there it was as a walk-in and a stylist named Colleen waited on me. She talked to me about the services they offer and about what I had in mind for my hair. It was a good experience. I got a touch-up that time.

Then, I walked in the next time and was waited on by Dominique, who no longer works there. I started seeing her every 8 weeks or so for my touch-ups. She would talk to me about the health of my hair and different styling options. The reason I liked both stylists is that were good communicators.

Also the salon was very laid back and friendly.