Got the Sebastian ColourShines done yesterday!!!

And me likey. I had someone do it for me and picked the Sebastian Ginger, a red gold colour. I added 2 pics to my link below of the colour in my hair which came out more red than gold. I do like.

It makes your hair feel thicker which I actually like and there is an overall sheen I think. I'd definitely do this again and would love to try the clear, just to see.

Thanks Tracy for posting about this product!!! Big thumbs up for anyone wanting to try subtle colouring without the damage.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Yay! Another Sebastian's Colourshines convert! /images/graemlins/cool.gif I too am really glad Tracy raved about this product. I tried the clear, which is a keeper, but I just ordered the Honey Wheat for next time (I've got to watch those highlights). [sigh] and I had been so good about not buying more products. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BRH, I love your hair - it looks glossy and the color is pretty. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I had to post my thoughts on it since I've expressed an interest in it for a little while now. This is the very first time I've put a colour in my relaxed hair which is something I've always wanted to do.

Hey Nyamburah, I'm glad you also liked the Colourshines.

Can you tell me if you thought the clear gave you a REALLY noticeable shine or no? did it like me with ginger, make your hair feel thicker too? I like the idea of the clear but only if it gives a really good shine you know?

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
BRH-
Yes, my hair is noticeably shinier. Before, my hair had lost its luster despite my continual use of deep conditioners and oils. I noticed the shine immediately after my hair had dried (after conditioning and roller-wrapping). My highlights seemed to sparkle /images/graemlins/grin.gif and my natural color glistened /images/graemlins/grin.gif. If you noticed your hair gleaming with the Ginger, you will likely enjoy the same effect with the clear.

My hair does look thicker but I'm not sure if it's due to the Colourshines, taking 1,000 mg of Pantothenic Acid daily (thanks, Tracy /images/graemlins/wink.gif), or the cut I got last month.

HTH,
Nyambura /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It does sound like the clear is really nice then and worth trying. I think I will it maybe the next time I get my hair relaxed again.

I'm actually looking to start taking B5 for thickening my hair which is naturally quite fine (although it doesn't show in the colourshine pics!! thats the colourshines that 'fattened/coated' the strands).

Nyambura

surfer girl
I have fine hair too, and the longer it grew, the flatter and thinner it looked /images/graemlins/confused.gif, until our mutual hair twin suggested taking Pantothenic Acid (500 mgs in the morning, another 500 mgs at night) to thicken things up a bit. I was not expecting results within a month but I have been pleasantly surprised. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope you will be too.

adrienne0914

WOW!!! that color is awesome! your hair looks great, BRH! you've also made great progress in the growth department as well! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

adrienne

LondonDiva

Your hair looks grat BRH. The colour, shine & length look wonderful on you. This is one product I'd like to try in the future but I think I'll have to order it from the US as I'm not sure I can get it in the UK.

sweetcocoa

Your hair is beautiful. I love that color. I'm am so tempted to try this. I haven't colored my hair in years. I love the shine and fullness you got.

Armyqt

BRH your hair came out very well. Very nice color indeed. And the shine! It looks very healthy. I've been contemplating ordering the clear to add some shine to my hair. Now I'm convinced. Did you order yours online?

NYCchild

BRH, your hair looks so good - healthy, nice color and shiny. congrats. i know im gona try this now - if i livedin ya area id ask for ya hairdresser #. but im a doityaself gal cause i cant find a good one where i am.
so i have to find a cheap source and 'diy'.

happy hair growing

Terri

MissM

Did you use this hair color over another color? The color is beautiful on you! Your hair is tapered like mine but yours is way shinier!

daviine

Your hair looks fantabulous!!!!!! And the color is absolutley smashing---I wonder if I should get myself a bottle of Sebastian Colourshines for tomorrow---I was thinking about getting clear but your picture has really inspired me to consider it.

What color is your regularly? And Tracy----cuz I know you'll be in the thread soon---does the Colourshines run if you get caught in the rain ot soemthing like that?

daviine

One more question for Tracy-----if I can't find the Sebastian Colourshines by tomorrow----what will be the next best alternative--------Jazzing or Adore or something else.....let me know.

diva4life

Hi BRH!
This is my VERY first post because I just had to say how positively Gawjis your hair looks. I may have to gis me summa dat!

MissyM, no, there is no other colour on my hair. Just the Ginger ColourShines in the pic. In the summer my hair does go a bit lighter (like most women) which I do like but its sun induced only.

Tracy

Hey guys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daviine As far as running: I don't have a huge problem with this with the Colorshines. The darker colors might - if you get really drenched and you are sporting a white t-shirt it might not be a cute look. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I find I have more of a "running" problem with the Jazzing. I think because it doesn't penetrate as much as the Colorshines does.

I think the Adore would be a fine choice if you can't get your hands on the Sebastian. The shine is better (on me) with the Adore than it is with Jazzing. Watch their colors tho. SOme of them have a wierd undertone. If you can open the bottle and look not only at the color of the liquid inside but the way it looks - oh this is hard to explain - on the places on the cap of the bottle where the product is more tranparent. This will give you a clue as to the base colors - the ones that will reveal themselves as the color rinses out. Stay away from any browns that look greenish or purplish - that means the undertones are green or violet - which is a pain to try to correct later if you aren't enjoying that particular tint. Then you need a bright red....dude - it's just a pain. Stick with their more natural looking hues. And use the cryptic instructions I gave above (LOL!) on getting an idea of the base colors. Their colors tend to be less natural looking than the Jazzing as well. Jazzings colors are brighter - but more sheer. Adore gives more shine - but the colors are denser and are trickier to select.

Also - I noticed a lot of people mentioning they wanted to try it but they were concerned about "coloring" their hair. I jsut wanted to reiterate for all of my sisters here - these colors are a no-brainer where damaged is concerned. I PROMISE! They just don't have the ingredients to cause damage - unless you are, like, allergic to something in it. The stylists I go to (whe n I have it applied, as opposed to applying it myself) sometimes won't even apply a conditioner the same day as they do the Sebastian. Their feeling (these are all Dominican stylists BTW) is that they are as good for the hair as a good conditioner would be, if not better. Not for every wash mind you - but just for that time you apply it. Many of them fight me about putting a conditioner on after because they feel it's overkill. This isn't a permanent color. No damage AT ALL here.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif If my hair is damaged (and it is to a certain extent - I guess - technically) it would be from the hihglights I put in with Clairol's BW hair lightener and the peroxide in the Textures and Tones. But again - I still feel that these products - judging from the condition of my hair 4 months later - are the mildest coloring tools for relaxed hair.

The Colorshines is a different animal than even these. No way to damage with this product. And if you have no relaxer you are even better off because you STILL have completely damage free hair post Colorshines. Just a lot of shine and a hint of color.

HTH

daviine

Thank you Tracy for your detailed response as usual!!!!!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I don't know how I missed your reply!!!!!!

BlkMane

ATTENTION TRACY! Re: Colorshines

Brownrelaxedhair-- I think I might have posted before, but I just wanted to say your hair looks beautiful! /images/graemlins/grin.gif It looks so healthy, no bad ends..splits. Keep up the good work.

Tracy, darling, I'm going to be relaxing my Mom's hair soon and wanted to give her a full "salon treatment". I've been thinking of appling ColorShines to her hair. Will that cover gray? (She has some grey all thruout her hair, but she is not ALL grey) ALSO...can I apply the ColorShines RIGHT AFTER (same day) as her relaxer? If so, do I condition first, then apply ColorShines?

Also, do you shampoo AFTER applying Adore or Colorshines? I think the Adore bottle says to shampoo after, but I never do as I feel it will take the color right out. I do condition afterwards. I shampoo BEFORE applying. What do they do in the salon when you get Colorshines?

Tracy

Re: ATTENTION TRACY! Re: Colorshines

Daviine: Glad you caught it nena! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blkmane: Mi amor! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I love the idea of giving Mom a full salon treatment. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif You go girl!

Colorshines won't cover grey per se but if you choose the right color (I did some asking around after I got asked this question before on the board - so this isn't personal experience) it will produce nice highlights. The gold or the golden brown shades (liquid Amber, Golden Walnut) will turn the grey a nice golden shade. They would look much like she had subtle highlights throughout her hair. If Mom would like that result I say go for it. You also need to ensure that her grey is primarliy single strands - even if she has quite a bit, it would be fine if the strands are pretty separate. By contrast, I would imagine it would be harder to get a result Mom liked if she had a shock of gray in the front or at the temples, let's say.

As for the order of operations - I would relax, neutralize, shampoo, deep condition, color, shampoo (once with a mild shampoo. This is how they do it at the salon and how I do it at home. It removes any color build up from the skin and scalp - reduces that bleeding scalp look you see some girls walking around with. One shampoo won't remove all the color. Especially if you allow it to cool after the time under the dryer) and then use a rinse out type conditioner to detangle and finish. Make sure Mom stays under the dryer with the color for 30 minutes and be sure to let it cool for 5-10 minutes - lasts longer. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck chica - let me know how it turns out! And tell mami we say hello! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. How'd YOUR coloring experiment go???? Don't keep me in suspense! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BlkMane

Re: ATTENTION TRACY! Re: Colorshines

Tracy, I tried to post ONE photo in my hair album to show my highlights (from the first attempt), but it's hard because my digital camera doesn't have good resolution. (see my album)

I haven't done any coloring experiments this weekend. I decided to wait a couple weeks cause I didn't feel like "Metalexing" my hair this weekend, BUT I did pick up some highlighting sheets, a highlighting board and T&T color in Bronze (I hadn't seen this color in the store before and it has a violet/blue base which I might need).

Oh,....the PJ in me picked up a JILBERE CERAMIC FLAT IRON.
(okay, I've said it! It feels so good to confess.)

Tracy, you'll be the first to know about my color results when I do it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlkMane

Re: ATTENTION TRACY! URGENT Re: Colorshines

Tracy-

After several moments of indecision at the beauty supply store I purchased the Sebastians Colorshines in CINAMMON to do my mom's hair. I initially walked out with the Golden Walnut, but it looked so "yellow." I went back and exchanged it for the Cinammon.

My mom has a reddish brown complexion and her hair is naturally a dark/medium brown. I thought a color that was somewhat REDDER would look good on her. I hope I choose the RIGHT color! (She told me to pick something nice for her, if she ends up looking like Raggedy Ann I won't hear the last of it! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, after I got home I checked the Sebastian website and it said this about CINAMMON:
A red-orange that produces a beautiful burnt sienna colour on light to medium brown hair.

I figured since her hair is DARKER than that, her hair shouldn't really turn orangey and "burnt sienna" sounds pretty, but I'm concerned about what color her gray hair will turn.

Golden Walnut (which the beauty supply owner initially gave me) was described as: a stunning light brown with gold to add warmth and depth to dark blonds or add golden tones to light ash brown hair. Golden Walnut deepens light to medium redheads.

See?...I think that would have been too light for her hair.

But, now looking at the site I wonder if I should have chosen Mahogany? Mahogany on medium to dark brown hair produces a fabulous chestnut shade. On redheads it deepens and balances their red.

I do think a reddish/brownish color would look good on Mom's hair...what do you think? I also was trying to avoid colors with the violet base, cause I used the Espresso a long while back and it gave my hair a "violet" cast.

I can probably exchange the color tomorrow if need be. PLEASE HELP! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

www.sebastian-intl.com