Growing out my heat damage *Pics*

Fine 4s

Back to square one :(

What happened:
Summer of 2011 I blow dried my hair about 3-4 times from April to August using high heat (when I find the picsI'll post them.) I also had my hair pressed twice in a salon with a marcel stove during that same period.

The chunkier parts of the twists are 1 year's worth of virgin healthy natural hair while the thinner pieces are results from the heat damage. I just hope I can retain those poor things so I can reach my hair goal of Full WL. I'll trim as I grow along.

Lesson learned, no marcel for me only my ceramic flat iron with one pass :(

I am LOVING uploading pics from my phone!!!

Attachments

• image-2123445484.jpg
    image-2123445484.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 390
  • image-3634415457.jpg
    image-3634415457.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 342
  • image-2025645950.jpg
    image-2025645950.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 322
  • image-2816697178.jpg
    image-2816697178.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

hair4romheaven

So sorry to hear about your set back but it appears you may have to cut some inches. I wonder if heat damage can travel up strand the way splits do or are the ends just damaged? IDK maybe some others can chime in for help.
Have you done hard protein treat.?

Fine 4s

hair4romheaven said:
So sorry to hear about your set back but it appears you may have to cut some inches. I wonder if heat damage can travel up strand the way splits do or are the ends just damaged? IDK maybe some others can chime in for help.
Have you done hard protein treat.?

Einh been dealing with it for some time so I'm not AS upset. And funny thing is you don't notice that it's damaged until your new growth is enough to make the contrast. All I noticed during the year was that my twist outs were NOT so cute.

Not sure if they do but folks here have shown how splits travel.. I just never worried about that. I do protein treatments every 6 weeks as I did when I first started my journey. So I'm all about protective styling and buns. Back to my old regimen before I tried to get all cute :)

My next trim will be in Jan-Feb depending when I take down my twists which stay in at least a month at a time (like now). I also search and destroy.

We shall see my dear....

empressri

I swear you just described my *exact* hair journey. Nah, so long as you trim and do protein and moisture as needed you should be just fine.

All that gorgeous hair :lick:

Fine 4s

empressri,

You know I'm on your IG right? Love it!
Girl been at this for 6 years already so for me basic is where it's at. If I do those things I'm all set but that darn patience is a Bee-Yaaah.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
The damage is growing out very well. Do you have any problems with the differing textures?

ETA: I can't wait to wear my hair similar to the style in your siggy. You would never think fine type four hair could be so thick and lush!

Fine 4s

NappyNelle said:
The damage is growing out very well. Do you have any problems with the differing textures?

ETA: I can't wait to wear my hair similar to the style in your siggy. You would never think fine type four hair could be so thick and lush!

It appears that way because I have tons of hair!

I don't have problems with the two textures because I don't wear my hair out unless it's a twist out. Unless you are analyzing my strands you can't tell. If you were to compare my old twist outs to now you'd notice something different though :$

Here's what the ends look like in my tiny twists:

Attachments

• image-638794060.jpg
    image-638794060.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 197

prettybyrd

I so admire your patience to grow out the damage. My hair was damamged in summer 2011, too., but I did the bc in March.

Good luck with the transition! You are doing very well so far.

Fhrizzball

Your rentention seems to be on point though and now you learned from your mistakes. Marcel stoves make me paranoid of people using flat irons on my hair in general because I kept getting burned by the combs so each time I went to the shop for I'm jumpy that their flat irons will burn me.

I have since stopped going because even they couldn't get my hair to lay straight for long enough.

Are you using a stronger protein treatment due to this? Will you just maintain at the length you are now until all the heat damage is gone or will you be growing it out still?

Marand13

I'm dealing with the same problem. Did 2 BKTs earlier this year. Big mistake! Never again.. But its growing out well, just have to keep trimming till its all gone. :yep:

Fine 4s

Fhrizzball said:
Are you using a stronger protein treatment due to this? Will you just maintain at the length you are now until all the heat damage is gone or will you be growing it out still?

Fhrizzball,
I use the same protein treatment as before ApHogee two-step. It won't bring back the thickness that you see at the root of the twists though.

Yes, I will be growing out my damage and trimming along the way towards my goal to full WL. I can't wait to get my hair trimmed by this woman who trimmed my hair without blow drying it. She went it! It might set me back a couple of inches though. As long as I'm at full WL by 2014, ill be OK..